New to NZ - Imported my boat from Oz

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BlisterFingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to NZ - Imported my boat from Oz
    Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 7:22pm
BlisterFingers View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

G'day all, first post here.

I've recently moved from across the ditch to Auckland with my work.
I imported my 4.8M runabout and it's currently sitting in my driveway in Stanmore Bay waiting for it's maiden NZ voyage.

Now that I've got the trailer WOF'd and registered, the next priority is to get it insured. I've got no idea who the good local insurers are and don't know any of them from a bar of soap other than ClubMarine (who wouldn't necessarily be my first choice in Oz). I don't really have much of an idea of the local replacement cost and hence how much to insure it for.

I realise that there's probably a million different opinions out there but any recommendations for an insurer and/or approximate replacement value would be welcomed.

BTW the boat is a 4.8M Bermuda Island Shore, built in 2001 (it's a re-badged Quintrex hull), powered by a Merc 60HP 4 stroke that's done about 190 hours. When not in the water it sits on a Dunbier trailer with cable-driven overrun drum brakes.

Any pointers for an ignorant Aussie would be greatly appreciated Smile

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote green guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 7:43pm
green guy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ring AMI mate they gave me a wicked price all most 1/2 of club marine and no probe insuring my 45 year old boat too
http://www.facebook.com/hauraki.hillbillys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 8:00pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Package deal with house hold and life insurance is what I've done
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 8:30pm
Otto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Was with NZI which I thought were good until I found out not covered if left in the water overnight so changed to club marine, all seems good but never know until it really counts. Welcome to NZ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote petethemeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 8:58pm
petethemeat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

My mate was with Clubmarine but following an incident with the boat and some issues with ClubMarine he has subsequently charged to Mariner Marine (underwritten by VeroI understand) after doing some research.
My new boat is also insured with Mariner Marine - as you say - hard to know how good a company is until you really need them
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote marlinmarty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 9:06pm
marlinmarty View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I reckon just add it onto your house n contents that way you get a bundle deal
check out trade me for a gauge on what to insure it for
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 9:09pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Welcome to NZ Blisterfingers. That rig should get you amoungst the action. Where are you planning to fish out of?
I insure my boat with my car with my house insurance bundled together gave some good discounts.
You could google insurance broker. Let them do the running around for you, though use more than one as most are aligned with one company or another.

Youll be happy to be able to watch good rugby when you flick the box on over here :-)
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote 3rnzir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2015 at 10:39am
3rnzir View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Dougal.
Become a member with CNR (Coastguard Northern Region).
Your 1st line of insurance should you have difficulties on the water.
CNR members have discounts to all sorts of services.
Baylies Insurance works in with CNR as a sponsor.
Boat insurance discount with your CNR membership.
Baylies are HQ`d on the Nth Shore.
Good on you for bringing your boat over.
Some money well spent in your case would be to do a day charter out of Gulf Hbr with Damo.
Damo is a  member/contributor on this site.
Divercity is the name of his vessel berthed at Gulf Hbr.
He`ll bring you up to speed on how the Nth Gulf fish`s.
RadioLiveSport Saturdays between 6-8 AM is a great fishing show/area report.
And maybe join a local fishing club.
And you have an excellent Mercury Marine service center on the Peninsular also.
So all in all you have set up base in a ripper area cobber.
Just add salt water and enjoy.
Cheerz cobber.

Peace.Via superior firepower..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Denny Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2015 at 10:46am
Denny Boy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by petethemeat petethemeat wrote:

My mate was with Clubmarine but following an incident with the boat and some issues with ClubMarine he has subsequently charged to Mariner Marine (underwritten by VeroI understand) after doing some research.
My new boat is also insured with Mariner Marine - as you say - hard to know how good a company is until you really need them
Yep I changed to Mariner a month ago-found they were much cheaper than most of the others like up to some 40% the reason I was given is that they are dedicated boat insurers. The strange thing is that I was with Vero who were some 40% dearer than the very company that they underwrite. A*sholes eh that they would take your money but I guess it's up to us to check and change every now and then if necessary. The upshot was that not only did Vero lose my boat ins but my house contents and cars as well mainly because they were still dearer than the competition I wound up with plus they didn't cover as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2015 at 11:19am
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Not state insurance.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2015 at 11:36am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My boat is insured with Mariner. A few years ago I had to make a claim when a boat I bought got damaged while being delivered to me. I hadn't even filled out the insurance forms yet and hadn't paid them yet, just a phone call on the Friday night to arrange cover. I was very worried that they might not honour the claim, it would have been almost impossible for me to prove I had called them to arrange cover. But they were great, very helpful, arranged a marine surveyor to check out the damage and got the repairs done with a reputable repairer who did a very good job. As a bonus their prices seem reasonable as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote funandfunction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2015 at 7:58pm
funandfunction View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

When comparing cover, be aware that there are two types of cover.... market value and agreed value. The agreed value is generally dearer but could save a lot of trouble if a claim is made. Baileys use agreed value and I have found them excellent to deal with.
There are two types of people in the world: those that divide people into two types and those that don't.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote petethemeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2015 at 9:40pm
petethemeat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by funandfunction funandfunction wrote:

When comparing cover, be aware that there are two types of cover.... market value and agreed value. The agreed value is generally dearer but could save a lot of trouble if a claim is made. Baileys use agreed value and I have found them excellent to deal with.

Mariner does agreed and it still seems a very reasonable price. They also have good cover for distances from land etc (some only cover to the 12nm limit- so worth checking your policy).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mmmWord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2015 at 9:52pm
mmmWord View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Baileys with a Coast Guard discount were slightly more expensive but better terms than AMI for my little runabout. Haven't tested them properly yet.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BlisterFingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2015 at 10:13pm
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks everyone for the great advice - Mariner Marine and Baileys seem to be well regarded so I'll check them out.

3rnzir, great call on the Coastguard membership - I've already signed up to do the marine radio operators certificate through Coastguard education. 

Will definitely take up the charter recommendation and I'll look into joining the Hibiscus Coast Boat Club which is 5 minutes drive down the road from me.

Looking forward to getting out and into it. Coming from Canberra which is 2 1/2 hours from the coast it feels like I've walked into boating and fishing heaven. Happy to cop some stick about rugby, underarm bowling, and claiming Crowded House as an Aussie band in return SmileSmile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote funandfunction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2015 at 10:21pm
funandfunction View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by BlisterFingers BlisterFingers wrote:

Happy to cop some stick about rugby, underarm bowling, and claiming Crowded House as an Aussie band in returnĀ SmileSmile

Haha good one BlisterFingers and welcome to the forum. I think we should add Russell Crowe and pavlova to the list as well. I remember when we first won the America's Cup in 1995, the aussie newspapers were calling it an Australasian victory !!
There are two types of people in the world: those that divide people into two types and those that don't.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ShaunQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2015 at 10:23pm
ShaunQ View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Would appreciate any info/tips you can share on the shipping process as I'll be doing the same in the near future, did you ship open deck or containered? I'll be ex Brisbane as I'm living in Far North QLD.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 9:51am
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Even with agreed value insurance there can be wriggle room for the insurance company - read the fine print.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BlisterFingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 7:55pm
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by funandfunction funandfunction wrote:

Originally posted by BlisterFingers BlisterFingers wrote:

Happy to cop some stick about rugby, underarm bowling, and claiming Crowded House as an Aussie band in return SmileSmile

Haha good one BlisterFingers and welcome to the forum. I think we should add Russell Crowe and pavlova to the list as well. I remember when we first won the America's Cup in 1995, the aussie newspapers were calling it an Australasian victory !!

All good-natured banter but I do have to draw the line at Russell Crowe. We don't actually claim him as one of our own. Any offers of repatriation would be welcomed Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BlisterFingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 9:01pm
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by ShaunQ ShaunQ wrote:

Would appreciate any info/tips you can share on the shipping process as I'll be doing the same in the near future, did you ship open deck or containered? I'll be ex Brisbane as I'm living in Far North QLD.

G'day Shaun,
I got a few quotes and ended up using Taurus Logistics based on some recommendations. they're an NZ-based company with offices in Melbourne. The communication and service was excellent and the boat arrived without any new scratches or dings. I don't know if it was shipped containered or open deck but I suspect the latter given the amount of dirt and salt spray residue on the hull and trailer when I picked it up. I'm still to complete the financials so not quite ready to give them an unqualified glowing reference. Happy to share more detail via PM if needed.

Cheers,
Dougal
Page  12>