Using my charcoal BBQ to smoke fish?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Using my charcoal BBQ to smoke fish?
    Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 3:58pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I got a weber.

Is there any way to smoke fish on the grill, i assume its not as easy as just adding manuka chips to the briquettes? Would require some mositure as well I presume.

Have looked at one of those gasmate grill and smoke in one models with the temp gauge but they seem a bit cheaper material and we dont intend to smoke that much.

I was just using a portable smoker but its busted now, so was hoping to save some bucks and use the bbq.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote U357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 5:36pm
U357 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I have done this, about 5-6 briquettes going on one side of the bbq, and a bit of green manuka.
I placed the fish on a tray on the opposite side to the heat, a small dish of water on the grill, had it running at about 80 degrees for 1.5 hrs, vents top and bottom one step before the closed position. Best smoked fish I have done, way way better the the meths burner type
404. That’s an error.
That’s all we know.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 6:08pm
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Mate, do it all the time with my Weber - only thing I use in general.

As suggested, build your main fire and once it's going divvy up the coals to either side of the Weber.
I like to use different woods which I usually soak in water for at least a couple of hours. Hickory is hands down favourite -
This stops the wood bursting into flames once it hits the coals.
Also, make sure the vents are open at the bottom but closed at the top to make lots of smoke - I just finished doing a leg of lamb on the Weber that I smoked.
"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote REIVER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 6:21pm
REIVER View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Wrap a couple of handfuls of manuka sawdust up in tinfoil then poke a couple of holes in the bottom side of the parcel. Put a couple or three of these on the hot coals and shut the lid, works a treat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 7:30pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Geeze Id have been smoking more stuff had I thought about this earlier.

I imagine sawdust just smokes off quicker than wood. So wood could be soaked instead of leaving a tin of water?

So close all vents in and out or just  out?

Thanks for the info, love charcoal grills. Never going back to gas aside from portable ones to take on the boat to a secluded beach for a picnic etc.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KikBac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 7:33pm
KikBac View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Grab a sardine can or biscuit tin, fill with wood chips of your choice, stick it on the grill plate and close the lid The heat will get it smoking after a few minutes. Your BBQ will work just like a hot smoker
Beer: the most important meal of the day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 8:38pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Best place to source wood?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote mmmWord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 10:22pm
mmmWord View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I haven't done fish, but just a couple of notes from my general meat-smoking experience. 1, 2 and 3 contradict the advice of some others slightly, YMMV.

1) It's generally not recommended to close the top vents - this tends to smother the fire and cause it to burn sootily, apparently. On my 6-8 hour cooks I certainly have found it a lot easier to control temperature by leaving the top vents fully open and just fiddling with the bottom one. Just having the bottom one completely closed will still pretty much put the coals out. With the top vent closed the coals tended to go out completely too easily.

2) I find it a lot easier to control my burn by putting all the coals to one side, rather than on both sides as Weber say. This means you only have one lot of coals to keep going instead of two, and also makes it easier to keep the food away from the direct heat (ie gives you more usable space).

3) A water pan will help you keep a stable temperature, but in doing so 'wastes' energy in heating the water. Tis more efficient to use fewer coals and no water if you are able to control the temperature effectively. You may not care about this.

4) Larger lump coal is better for temperature control than smaller lump coal. Discovering larger coals was a big moment in my life. Obviously if you use briquettes that isn't very helpful.

Question: does anyone use an additional rack inside a standard Weber grill to increase capacity? Something I've been wondering about.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote carlostairua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2015 at 9:42am
carlostairua View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

kingi belly, marinated for few hours then smoked on the weber
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2015 at 10:44am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

n1 carlos, any tips on the wood chips used and did u use wet chips or just let it cook as per normal with lump coal and wood?

im thinking you would need less coals to cook fish so would mixing the wood amongst the coals create enough of a smoke action?