Dredges

Page  <1 23456 8>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BT007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 7:32am
BT007 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Here's my attempt at a DIY dredge. Looked at making star/umbrella type from some coathangers but was too hard to hang it together. Figured why couldn't a circle frame work? At present only got my reflective fish on the outside ring. Going to hang lines of squid from the inner ring and then have to still attach another smaller ring to which I'll attach the drag rope and weight. S0 far it's cost about $25 I think. Had it running as is a few weeks ago and was chuffed ;)

Next project is the bamboo outriggers :)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stonefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 7:38am
Stonefish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by kaveman kaveman wrote:

Originally posted by Griffo Griffo wrote:

Where is everyone getting their trolling weights from?

Trade Me, seller called  taylah3 ( Ray Osborn) lives between Waihou and Te Aroha. He has in line weights in 48oz and 64oz. I am using 2 x 64oz in line

I wonder if we could talk him into making some heavier inline weights?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 7:43am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

I know Ray well and will call in and see him next week. i am thinking 6,8,10lb weights with a large central hole so we can run towline through the middle
alternately just heavier ones in same shape that he sells now
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 8:11am
the angler View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Where are you guys running them from ? Even a 48oz inline puts our dredge well subsurface .
The lower you can tow them from the less they want to come up.
Run ours of cleat on duckboard , if I run it far enough back don't even need a weight as the head is weighted .
If you are running rubber fish/squids etc I would be useing light line to rig them as they have the most chance of getting wrapped up in a fish and destroying your dredge if the line doesn't snap -seen it happen.
Mylar has less drag and it's almost impossible for a marlin to get its beak wrapped in .
But I don't think any style either Mylar or lures makes any difference to there fish raiseing ability and that conclusion comes after 2 years of pretty solid r&d by me and arguably n.z's 2 top charter boats.
I'm allways watching the corner lure behind the dredge now expecting to see a fish eat it.
Some great looking homemade dredges on here I'm sure they will improve your strike rate as they have for us .
Mate useing one of mine is currently leading the striped marlin t&r and so far top boat for Waihau in nats .coincidence?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 8:56am
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by the angler the angler wrote:

Where are you guys running them from ? Even a 48oz inline puts our dredge well subsurface .
The lower you can tow them from the less they want to come up.
Run ours of cleat on duckboard , if I run it far enough back don't even need a weight as the head is weighted .
If you are running rubber fish/squids etc I would be useing light line to rig them as they have the most chance of getting wrapped up in a fish and destroying your dredge if the line doesn't snap -seen it happen.
Mylar has less drag and it's almost impossible for a marlin to get its beak wrapped in .
But I don't think any style either Mylar or lures makes any difference to there fish raiseing ability and that conclusion comes after 2 years of pretty solid r&d by me and arguably n.z's 2 top charter boats.
I'm allways watching the corner lure behind the dredge now expecting to see a fish eat it.
Some great looking homemade dredges on here I'm sure they will improve your strike rate as they have for us .
Mate useing one of mine is currently leading the striped marlin t&r and so far top boat for Waihau in nats .coincidence?

#theanglerdredgedominationatwaihaubay

Couldn't resist sorry bro
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 9:32am
Titanium
Titanium

#theanglerstayshometokeepthemrshappywhiletheboysslayit.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Griffo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 9:39am
Griffo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks guys. Ordered a 64oz from Ray.

Originally posted by stonefish stonefish wrote:

Originally posted by kaveman kaveman wrote:

Originally posted by Griffo Griffo wrote:

Where is everyone getting their trolling weights from?

Trade Me, seller called  taylah3 ( Ray Osborn) lives between Waihou and Te Aroha. He has in line weights in 48oz and 64oz. I am using 2 x 64oz in line

I wonder if we could talk him into making some heavier inline weights?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 1:40pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

#wereallthesamewhenwomeninvolved
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 1:41pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not shure on the ounces but the 8 lb fish weight has my dredge about 1.5 mtrs deep under the 1 st wave.
Is this to deep ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stonefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 1:53pm
Stonefish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by of2fsh of2fsh wrote:

#wereallthesamewhenwomeninvolved

#gettingmarriednextweekaremyfishingdaysover?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 9:21pm
Titanium
Titanium

Ha yep.

Of2fsh dunno if there's a right or a wrong to em as long as your happy , i reckon myself as they are a subsurface teaser you are on to a winner if it's running that deep it must look amazing from under the water it would stick out like dogs balls beneath your wash , I'm taking a spearo out to try and stick a stick so I will get him to try and get some footage of his camera of mine underwater , try not to prop him .

We don't run it everyday , been some sloppy days with big seas and we have raised fish and caught them without any teasers and had amazing calm days running everything but the kitchen sink and can't buy a bite , you still have to do the basics like find fish etc but when they do come up on the dredge you get some pretty visual aggressive bites that lets face it are the special moments that you remember regardless if you actually tag/kill/release/drop that fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RH580ikanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 9:26pm
RH580ikanui View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Not shure on the ounces but the 8 lb fish weight has my dredge about 1.5 mtrs deep under the 1 st wave.
Is this to deep ?
Perfect
"IKANUI" RH580 SUZUKI DF140
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jigalot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 9:39pm
Jigalot View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

How do you guys run them? Electric reel or manual reel?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 10:07pm
Titanium
Titanium

Bit of rope and a Armstrong winch.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stonefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 10:37pm
Stonefish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

3mm cord off a cleat
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dolph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 4:20pm
Dolph View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by supermodel supermodel wrote:

Is this to deep ?
Perfect

x2

Thats where you want it.. We have the 8lb fish weights and smaller 7" squid dredge kits perfect for small boats.. Only $169.00

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jigalot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 6:31pm
Jigalot View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Where can you buy 6- 8 lb in line trolling weights here in NZ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RH580ikanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 6:39pm
RH580ikanui View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Not from d------ fishing s----- in Gisborne... I bought one in January and the attachment point is fissing already.. his ad on the website says made of stainless and lead... not sure what is stainless sure as shyte isn't the attachment. Been sending him emails all month from up at work heard nothing. He had no trouble getting my emails last time from up here when I bought it, funny how things go quiet when you have a problem. If anyone knows him ask him to email me.. can't ph him from up here.
I have imported an 8lb fish mold. should be home by the time I get there next Friday. happy to make some for forum members

PM me
"IKANUI" RH580 SUZUKI DF140
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 11:46am
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

For those who want a reasonably priced dredge I bought one off Amazon yesterday

Strip Dredge

69 fish in total

Very Reasonable NZ $248.60 delivered - shipping was only NZ $23 which is less than GST
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jigalot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 2:46pm
Jigalot View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Anyone out there using stripteaser dredges?
Page  <1 23456 8>