7 to 8m Alloy Hardtops

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sam7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7 to 8m Alloy Hardtops
    Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 9:34am
sam7 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I'm looking for a new alloy hardtop up to about 8m.  I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who owns one to know what they've bought and the reasons they went with what they have.

I don't have any strong views in terms of pontoon or traditional hull.  We're looking for something that's a comfortable family fishing boat without being a gin palace.  The guess the obvious candidates that I'd look at include : Senator, Stabi, Profile, Image, Osprey etc.  Ride, stability and performance in windy conditions are really importance factors.  I don't want anything that's too tender in a cross wind.

Thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote whippersnappyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 7:47pm
whippersnappyr View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'm a fibreglass guy but I like the look of the whitepointer boats if I was ever to go alloy
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Southern_Jez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 8:04pm
Southern_Jez View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I dont own one, but have been on my mates Image (9.5m cabin) a few times and it is a bloody nice boat and handles foveaux strait conditions with ease. Built to order as customisable as you want, they even went as far as getting the boat name embossed on the seats. Good people to deal with to, i used to get my old boat services there when i lived that side of town.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 9:08pm
JB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi Sam&,

Ive just been through the same thought process about getting a new boat but in th 8-9m range. In the end I wrote down what I wanted out of it and then designed a set of criteria around that.

Things I considered were
- how much the budget
- did I want it set up for hard out fishing or fishing with family thatn could fish with mates
- did we want to overnight or extended trip or was it a day boat
- did we want pontoon or non pontoon
- how important was having a happy family when I went out.
- could we tow it.
-how much cockpit space did it have
-did we want to tailor the boat or just buy one off the shelf
-what make of motor were we comfortable with and was this supported by the supplier
-what handling abilities did we want from the boat
- did we want inboard or outboard
- how close was the supplier if a tailored boat

there's a few more but generally these type of questions - we went through all of them and as usual there will be no exact 100% match. Its what fits what your really after.

From our requirements we have ended up ordering an image 8.5 with twin 150's with extended hardtop. If I had a different set of requirements I'd have a different boat (maybe not a different supplier) so its really work out what you want and narrow from there. Detail like how bigger engine etc etc is just detail that will work out once you've got the whats the boat for answered.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nickfixit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2015 at 10:49pm
Nickfixit View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have a Buccaneer Billfisher but my mate has a 8.2m AMF boat and this boat is unbelievable. Have come back from Great Barrier in 40 knots winds, at 20 knots. Very impressive. I believe they have 7mm plate alloy hulls and are heaving than glass when they get to this size. Very quiet, very dry, very stable. His particular boat I think was customised from their standard designs and has a huge cockpit so plenty of fishing space. It has a good v berth and at the back of the hard top is a ranch slider which gets rid of all engine noise and makes for a very warm trip in the winter! It also has a small sink, cooker, etc etc so can go away marlin hunting for 4 days with a few mates no trouble. Look into them
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OGBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2015 at 10:56pm
OGBOMB View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi, I'd get hold of Tony at White Pointer Boats or have a look at their website. They have a very proven product and can give you the ability to customise and or choose from a variety of models. They also have a few demo/spec boats in stock at the mo ready for engines and personalisation, a 730, 840, 870. These guys know their stuff and are well worth the look.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote green guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 12:15am
green guy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mate has a 780 Profile 2 Words #$%^#$ Weapon 
Pontoon,lock up cabin,300 yamaha 4 stroke.
It's is a beast very safe and towable fish's 6 with plenty of room for all and well set up
Image boats are nice and i really like the Dicky boats too.
As above make a list go form there, there are so many good options when you are getting into this size of boat, Money will play a big part as well.
Good luck mate 
http://www.facebook.com/hauraki.hillbillys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 6:00am
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by OGBOMB OGBOMB wrote:

Hi, I'd get hold of Tony at White Pointer Boats or have a look at their website. They have a very proven product and can give you the ability to customise and or choose from a variety of models. They also have a few demo/spec boats in stock at the mo ready for engines and personalisation, a 730, 840, 870. These guys know their stuff and are well worth the look.

You after a pay rise or comssion AaaronLOL.
I have a White Pointer 840 Pro Sportsman and coudnt be happier, do a search and you will find a start to finish process of our boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rockz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 7:32am
rockz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

if you can get to auckland in May, the hutchwilco boat show is a great place to look at all the boats in one spot.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nickfixit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 8:41am
Nickfixit View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Get a diesel inboard too. Mates amf gets from obc to great barrier and back on $100 diesel at a cruising speed of 25 knots.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sam7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 9:22pm
sam7 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for all the responses.

Image is probably top of the list.
Profile looks good too.  My only question marks would around the relatively light construction compare to some of the others.  Image is also much quieter on the water.
AMF have a great reputation but I suspect it's unlikely to fit the budget.
Considered McLay and Whitepointer but at 2.5 beam I'm thinking 2.7 would be better as I want it to be stable in a cross wind.
Not sure about diesel stern drives.  Great economy but some don't seem to last.  Too much time running at relatively high revs.

JB, how well does your Image handle the wind with the extended cabin?  I'm thinking that's the way I'd go as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 9:57pm
JB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi, it's just starting build now. Learnt a lot about beam and the effect of extra width to make boat have more space. We spoke to s few owners of boats to get there feedback, nothing like finding out good and bad from actual owners. We have decided on 2.9m beam after visiting boats 2.5,2.7,2.9. It makes a big space difference. Give me s bell sometime if you to see what went through my head before deciding. My numbers 021418055

In terms of wind etc I tested an 8.4m image in the sounds with a 20 to 25 knot wind, which was great to test it.Took it out to where the chop was and exposed. Was all good and still pretty stable. With any hardtop you will get wind pushing it but didn't need tabs used even in cross wind or on the quarter. But tried to reverse big chop and still pretty dry in cockpit.
In the end we wanted a boat the family could away on for a week but also fish hard with my mates so went that way.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bossco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 10:08pm
Bossco View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Pretty sure Image only have a 2.5m beam as well. Thought it was only extreme who go the 2.75..
It's gonna give you a bit more cockpit room but there will be a trade off in towing ease (oversize), performance and ride. They also only have an 18 deg v and a fairly blunt looking entry couple that with more flat surface area and the ride ain't gonna be great.

I'd take a look at boats like Southern or Surtee's that have fine entries and deep v's crosswinds make no diference when you have trim babs.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 10:21pm
JB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Bossco Bossco wrote:

Pretty sure Image only have a 2.5m beam as well. Thought it was only extreme who go the 2.75..
It's gonna give you a bit more cockpit room but there will be a trade off in towing ease (oversize), performance and ride. They also only have an 18 deg v and a fairly blunt looking entry couple that with more flat surface area and the ride ain't gonna be great.

I'd take a look at boats like Southern or Surtee's that have fine entries and deep v's crosswinds make no diference when you have trim babs.

Image has beams from 2.5 to 3.1 I think - been on ones 2.7, 2.9 and 3.0

Your right about trade off's everything is a trade off somewhere. Its a matter of deciding what you really what and give it that your priority.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sam7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 11:22pm
sam7 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Bossco Bossco wrote:

Every design is a compromise one way or another.  I've owned a Southern and I can tell you they're not a lot of fun on a gusty day even with trim tabs.  The fine entry also makes life interesting in a following sea.  At the end of the day there's no substitute for length and weight when it comes to ride. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 5:34am
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by sam7 sam7 wrote:

Thanks for all the responses.

Image is probably top of the list.
Profile looks good too.  My only question marks would around the relatively light construction compare to some of the others.  Image is also much quieter on the water.
AMF have a great reputation but I suspect it's unlikely to fit the budget.
Considered McLay and Whitepointer but at 2.5 beam I'm thinking 2.7 would be better as I want it to be stable in a cross wind.
Not sure about diesel stern drives.  Great economy but some don't seem to last.  Too much time running at relatively high revs.

JB, how well does your Image handle the wind with the extended cabin?  I'm thinking that's the way I'd go as well.

My White Pointer's beam is 2.75 and its my opinion that once you get to 8m in length diesel sterndrives are a better choice, dont think there is a lot of price difference between bigger outboards and sterndrives these days.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote widerange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 6:10am
widerange View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

There is one BIG difference.
Your boat isn't going to explode if some one is careless with diesel 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rotate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 7:13am
Rotate View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

those image boats are a beast of a big boat.down in okiwi we have "Petrol Hill" it has twin suzukis on back,it would be my pick of the "big" boats.must be nuggety as the alloy trailer has a hub meter+4.5ton rego sticker and they use one of the 6.6l turbo chevy trucks to tow it! 
this last week have had a profile 780?with twin 150hp mercs on back.looked wicked but different style of boat then the image.was being towed with bt50 and was more so a trailer boat as where the image wouldnt look out of place moored in a marina. also they were biscuiting behind the profile as it would look a little odd behind the image lol
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 11:21am
WD View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Dear Sir
We had exactly the same criteria in looking for our new boat.

Stability at rest and in cross winds and ride.

We have previousily  owned a Buccaneer 6m and a Senator 6m, both of which were great boats but had some real issues with ride quality.

Whilst on holiday in sandspit this summer we spied a new production boat prototype the VMG 575 hardtop that was going thru its final testing.

On the water it sat next to us  (haines hunter 650 with  a 250hp motor) in some really horrendous conditions and whilst we were rolling from gunnel to gunnel they were really stable and seemed to actually be enjoying themselves.

We left before them and had to button right off in the strong wind and terrible seaway  however to our surprise they came by us with ease half way in  with just a 70 hp Yamaha on the back.

They happened to be pulling their boat just before us on the ramp and so we got to talking to them.

This then turned into two demos and shortly after a deposit for a new 7m hardtop
This boats ride is amazing, really smooth with no vices and its stability at rest is catamaran like.

The only real difference to our previuos boats was that it turned flat which you get used to very quickly and the girls love it.

I would seriousily look into this brand its a big jump on from whats around at the moment.

David

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 12:21pm
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Personally if I had the money spare (i.e. 300k) I would want a fully set up 8.5m Surtees or White Pointer. Define your actual usage the the boat choice is easier.
Page  12>