canning/bottling albacore

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: canning/bottling albacore
    Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 2:07pm
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Got another pile of albacore I want to preserve for out of season eating...and want to bottle it. I've got a big stack of self sealing preserving jars, and want to know how I go about doing it. My plan is to make it tomorrow. I've heard from a work colleague that bottling using a pressure cooker is a good approach. Anyone able to give me pointers on how to do this and also where I can buy a "Pressure canner" here in NZ? 

Cheers

Dave

PS recipes would be cool too thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Zambezi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 2:59pm
Zambezi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

No idea about recipes but bottling is easy,

Clean and scrub the bottles, boil them and the lids. Put what ever you want in them while they're still hot. Put the lids on and boil for a min or two again, then just let them cool.

If you've got the right bottles they will seal up tight once they've cooled.

I'm still going through bottles of chilli sauce from this time last year bottled the same way.
A man’s comfort in life can be measured by the quality of the toilet paper he uses to wipe his arse.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Zambezi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 3:01pm
Zambezi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

No botulism so far
A man’s comfort in life can be measured by the quality of the toilet paper he uses to wipe his arse.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 6:41pm
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

cheers Z. Im also keen to know how many psi to pressure can at...and timings...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Unclejake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 7:30pm
Unclejake View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Diver Dan is the king of bottled albacore. I'll alert him to the thread if you haven't done the bottling already?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diver Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 7:57pm
Diver Dan View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bottled tuna:

Wash jars and sterilize in super hot oven, let them cool.

Cube fish removing bones and bloodline

Cram as much fish as you can into each jar but do not get rim dirty.

Add 1 teaspoon rock salt, 1 teaspoon white vinegar, 1 teaspoon olive oil and top up with bottled water.  Screw the lids on.

Boil gently in huge pot with cake rack under the jars so they don't hammer and avoid burning the carpet!!!  Boil for 4 hours.

Let cool and then check to see if seal has pulled down.  If not - eat that jar or add it to the next batch for resealing.

Kingfish bottles well too.

I also flavour it from time to time - olive and rosemary, lemon and thyme, thai basil and chilli - whatever you want really

Proud member of the Glen Innes Spearfishing Club
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 8:37pm
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Chur UJ and DD much appreciated
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote eynon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 8:55pm
eynon View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

sounds good. got any pics of the finished product?