Shimano Triton Rods - absolute crap?? snapped twic

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Equity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shimano Triton Rods - absolute crap?? snapped twic
    Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 7:47pm
Equity View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Has anyone had any bad experiences with these??

Purchased a Triton 10-15kg 7'at the start of 2013 which I paired with a Shimano Baitrunner 8000D (spooled with 10kg nylon) took it fishing for the second time since buying it. I got something on my line (fishing for Terakihi in the middle ground out of Tauranga) and had a bend in the rod (nothing major) when all of a sudden the rod snapped and my line parted. The rod was clear of the side of the boat, was in my hands as I was bringing it up to wind down so this shouldn't have happened-surely the 10kg line would go before the rod! Was very dissapointed and surprised but the guys that sold me it where very helpful...

Got a replacement under warranty, had a quiet year of fishing (only use it as a stray line rig occasionally) and it probably caught 2 kahawai this year. Took it out last week, same setup, and caught a kingfish. I watched the fish take the livey, would've just been legal or slightly under...was having no trouble managing the fish, a decent bend in the rod as it ran with the line, line wasn't screaming just going out.... and again the rod snapped (again 10kg nylon) and the line parted.

pretty frustrating to say the least! Always though shimano were top quality, def not buying a third triton thats for sure!!!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Johnny Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 8:46pm
Johnny Watson View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That's pretty bizarre. ... I've had mine for years and it's virtually unbreakable. 15 kg though , but I can give it death. Can't explain that one
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Equity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 8:51pm
Equity View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Random huh! I wonder if it was a bad batch?? anyway, wont be buying another haha :(

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Johnny Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 9:03pm
Johnny Watson View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ha ha what about 3rd time lucky. Na can't blame ya that's enough to put someone off a product. Get a shimano backbone instead. Slightly higher grade . Have found them to be very reliable, especially in the heavier models
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 9:31pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Chris, Shimano replaced the  first break & who know's, likely the second.
So, give them a chance mate..
Other thing, you say you wouldn't buy a "third", well as I read your post, you only purchased the first.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Scuba Skip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 9:57pm
Scuba Skip View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Ive got a 10kg aquatip which ive thrashed but yes i know of quite a few shimano rods breaking and for that reason when i went to buy a top end jig rod i went for a hand made kilwell talon with lifetime warranty and its mean.I guess you get what you pay for ? But in saying that shimano reels have been awesome
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Equity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 10:00pm
Equity View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Uncle, you are right, They did a great job replacing it the first time yes! and you are right I did only purchase the one :P I cant fault their service at all...and Im fully a fan of shimano - all my rods and reels are shimano, bar two.

Just wont be buying a triton rod again - surely its not right to snap on nothing twice haha! :P I reckon thats enough to make anyone wary! Ill be investing in a more expensive one this time I think!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 1more Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 10:58pm
1more View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I was moving stuff and banged a rod against an edge. The same rod snapped later on a boat trip. I think I weakened it, despite no visible damage.

That might not be the story I tell people. Some fish out there are big and fierce and can break fishing rods!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 6:52am
Cbro View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

They are an entry level rod. Get yourself something nice mate. You will never regret buying good gear.   If you stay glass and want to be a bit cheap get an ugly stick. Mine I have tried very hard to break and it won't.
High stick ed the hell out of it on a bronze, bloody thing just wouldn't snap. Slammed in the car door...****, still going.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 10:15am
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Second that on Uglystik I have four and have just bought another two. They say you can drive a car over them and they will not break.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote eynon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 10:57am
eynon View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

the ugly stik black tiger is a popular rod.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 3:43pm
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Two piece rods are weaker than one piece cause your parabolic curve gets stuffed at join. I think black tiger is 2 piece.
The old tiger rods 1 piece will catch sharks or snapper and you are not going to lose once in a lifetime fish cause your rod broke
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ohsoslow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 5:31pm
Ohsoslow View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Pretty sure I've got a triton o/h rod, have trolled with it for last 3 years, caught tunas and sharks on it.. Has been mint!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brad76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 10:50am
Brad76 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Will stick to my daughters lipstik rod I think, it has caught so many fish I have lost count, managed to land a 21lb snapper on it after New Years, a metre long hammer head and still going strong. Not bad for a $50 kids rod. It does have an oc4000 on it, wouldn't in any way trust the cheap real that comes as part of these combos.
Same with the aqua tips. Are you sure you were not trying to put insane pressure on the rod?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Down Time Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 11:08am
Down Time View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

We have been running a pair of triton 15 kg rods fitted with tld 30's and have accounted for loads of skippies and albys a few makos and 2 stripeys -109kg and 131kg and still going strong. Have to say tho was a bit scepticle at first as they where less than $100 ea from memory!