ok thinking out loud,

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ok thinking out loud,
    Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 2:25pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

after watching many under water videos of how fish eat each other one thing that stands out is the fact that when a fish opens its mouth to swallow its food there are two elements which come into forced,
first the fish lungs forward towards its prey, then either hits it or in gulfs it straight off,
secondly is when the mouth opens "more so on larger fish" water rushes in which in turn helps snare the fish before it can escape,

when you compare a trolling lure to a live fish one thing is missing which makes it hard for a fish to catch your trolling lure, and that it cant be sucked into the mouth when the marlin opens its gob...

any takers on how to add something that would allow this to happen like drop back of some sort????  
Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 2:54pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bungy?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raging Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 3:43pm
Raging Bull View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt
Big Sexy

How about something like I have tried to draw here, a really lite line that takes the weight of the lure as it's being trolled which leaves a "drop back" or some slack in the main line that takes up when the lite line breaks, allowing the lure to fall back in to its gob. Not sure how a lure would "swim" though.

Either that or a really good decky who keeps and eye on the lure and is quick enough to feed the lure back when the fish comes up!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 4:08pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

your thinking RB, could be the go krow,

another problem of coarse is the fact pressure is never the same on every lure,
so something which will activate the lure when pressure from behind it increases to make it fall back,
yes your right again RB deckie with a good eye...

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 4:37pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've been shown, when a fish is following a lure - leave rod in holder, with usual drag..pull line off rod to pull lure away from fish..it will follow, then when it comes at it again..drop the line back and let marlin sick it down.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 5:35pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

certainly sounds like the right thing to do Roy, let it suck it right out of your hand nearly sort of thing...
but can we make it automatic?????

even a light drag isn't enough but possible the next best thing...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wanabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 6:58pm
wanabe View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Raging Bull Raging Bull wrote:

How about something like I have tried to draw here, a really lite line that takes the weight of the lure as it's being trolled which leaves a "drop back" or some slack in the main line that takes up when the lite line breaks, allowing the lure to fall back in to its gob. Not sure how a lure would "swim" though.

Either that or a really good decky who keeps and eye on the lure and is quick enough to feed the lure back when the fish comes up!

Can you head me in the direction off the really awsome lure part I have Sea tal's and Pakula's will they qualify

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote full sacks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 10:19pm
full sacks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

is that hook a light gauge      sorry cant help myself
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 10:29pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

i think now we have got to the suck and blow bit, any other direction we will end up talking about lesbians,
did your hear the one about jellybeans? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Peter Pakula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 10:35pm
Peter Pakula View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi Eric,

I can't remember all the sci fi terminology. Except for one ie what you are describing are ram feeders that do suck their food in ie barra, snapper and quite a few freshwater and demersal fish. Nearly all pelagic fish including marlin and tuna have to swim over their food as they can't suck it in due to their gill structure. It's something to with needing lots of oxygen for fast fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 12:02am
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

could be right Peter,
the one that really got me thinking was the underwater footage of a Mako stealing swimmers off a dredge, it was in very slow mode and you could see when he opened his trap the fish straightened due to the vacuum it created from behind, but the fish never popped into his mouth, you could just about see the expression on its face change as it missed the fish, yeah bit over the top LOL.
didnt stop it from just about taking every fish off that dredge though, fast learners...
so you reckon marlin could be a little different to Mako's???
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Peter Pakula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 1:24am
Peter Pakula View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Eric I don't know much about Makos. I caught them when we shark fished with bait and burley. They are not a common catch over here on lures. I've only caught one on a lure.

Some guys in California target them on very heavy deep running skirted lures using heavy drag.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 4:35am
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Peter as an aside there was a run of little makos (10-60 kg) a number of years ago off Tutukaka during the One Base Comp, from memory there was over 200 caught in 4 days fishing, with virtually all caught on lures. Some boats were getting up to 10 a day on lures.

Interestingly in the 30 years I have been involved in gamefishing using lures we have caught heaps on lures and have yet to lose a lure to a mako, they always hit the "tail" of the lure and so hook up on the back hook. The key thing is once you know it is a mako is to keep the boat going forward reasonably quickly.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 5:48am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

As RBSaid a good deckie to play the line or skipper drop speed so it looks like a floundering fish so when about to strike increase speed as to put tension back on lure?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rustler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 7:31am
rustler View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

we use no 32 rubber bands to the outrigger clips then about 3 to 5 kg drag, the line is loose between the rod and clip which creates a small drop back we also run our flats like this
we seem to get a better hookup than running straight through the roller trollers or directly off the rod tip
itseems to always comes back to how they are biting hungry or playing,
'Politically Correct' a misguided bunch of morons who think they can pick up a piece of **** by the clean end.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 11:24am
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

thanks guys lots of food for thought there, thank you,Thumbs Up
yes i liked the rubber bands on tag lines when its not too rough, some excellent hits from that configuration,

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mmmm... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 9:15pm
mmmm... View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I thought normally the first hit was a bill strike to kill or stun the fish then like peter says it over takes and trys to swallow head first. they are very messy feeders thus why so many are foul hooked the bill and so on. a mako has a bigger mouth and seems to take its first bite from the tail of the fish, hense why you hook them a lot easier than marlin. last trip we landed 3 from three. :( if only marlin were so easy to catch. the only trick I can think of is letting the fish have a swipe then free dpooling the lure back to him like a stunned fish.
buying usless exspensive fishing gear is my second favourite hobby.