God, I am getting old....electric reels....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: God, I am getting old....electric reels....
    Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 10:55am
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ok, ok, I know, it is a sad commentary on the rapid onset of my decrepitude, but I am starting to think about getting me one or two electric reels for deep water fishing.
Any suggestions as to reels? Daiwa and WFT are the first options I have at the moment.
Also unsure about whether to load with 50lb or 80lb....if you snag bottom with 80lb, mate, you are anchored, at least with 50lb you can pop it off.
Thoughts anyone.
Oh, and for the MaxnMel fans, check out next months fishing news, should be in the mail now.
It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 12:19pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

oh dear Capt A, life is catching up to you mate, i would be more worried about that bloody container....
i remember you winding up some nice Bass at the 3 Kings with no complaints,

Electric reel heaven 4bid, are u 65 years old yet? if not you don't qualify ask Boulder he is allowed.... 

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 12:56pm
Titanium
Titanium

Lol, yes mate, I know, but at the Kings we weren't dropping into 400m! Eek!
250-300 no worries, take a cement pill and crank it, but geeeez, 400? Lol..., even superheroes have limits! 😄

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 1:14pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hey Stu for us oldies especially if your the skipper electrics makes your life easier.
I have 2 x Shimano Plays 9000 loaded with 80lb braid on Shimano Status 80lb rods ans are very happy with them so far.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 1:26pm
Titanium
Titanium

I plan on taking these up to the solomons to try deep there as well, but will give them a demo here first.
Dunno if I can rationalise two of them though, at a grand a pop, plus braid and rods (which I already have), makes it a fairly pricey birthday pressie!
Lol, however, as you say mate, anything for an easier life! 😄

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 1:55pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Are you thinking of loading up another container container Capt?LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 2:18pm
Titanium
Titanium

Hell no! From now on it is cramming in as much as I can into my luggage! 😊
Seeing as I already have more clothes, fishing gear etc than I have here at home, my bags tend to be fairly light going up these days, so the odd load of reels etc ain't no big thang! :-)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pompey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 3:41pm
pompey View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

CA, I recently purchased a Diawa Tanacom 1000 off ebay, much cheaper. Spooled with 1000m , 80ib braid on a Shimano Status. Excellent fishing, the way of the future once you hit 50. I run it off a small rechargable battery, like a motorbike size. It lasts all day without re-charging. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 7:16am
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I run 80lb but I have a meter or so of 70lb mono between that and the ledger rig and then 50lb from that to the sinker.....You don't want to loose hundreds of meters of braid like my mate has twice because he can't be bothered getting some slightly lighter nylon for his breakaways.

My other mate also puts a granny knot in his sinker trace to create a weak point.

I recomend 80lb braid for deep fishing for bass puka etc over foul...

Was out yesterday and tried my new rod and real (still handcrank), Isn't new gear fun if you get it right!

My mate has electric and just sits there and gloats and we hope the thing burns out......
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 8:57am
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Both in Japan last year and last week in Taiwan I have been ogling at electric reels, not the massive puka jobs, I already have an unused Shimano Dendou Maru, but they have entire glass cabinets full of all sizes shapes colours and blinged e-reel. They look awesome. I haven't bought any yet but they sure look tempting small ones about the size of a trini 14ish are cute as and no doubt have their application, and they are purchased mainly by younger anglers, not an age thing...I would like to find out more about their applications
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 11:36am
Fletch View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We sell a heap of the banax kaigens, great price point, happy anglers and no problematic returns as yet.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 1:08pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Quote[ God, I am getting old....electric reels....] quote

If I was you Stu I would get new ones.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 1:46pm
Titanium
Titanium

Harr harr harr 😄

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 4:11pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

this about to be you Capt A?

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing