Rules...Time for a discussion?

Page  123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rules...Time for a discussion?
    Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 6:03pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've been game fishing for a few years -weighed in a few and tagged a lot more. At no time, at any weigh in from many of the clubs in  NZ have I ever seen or being asked to produce my lure/trace/line....Never entered a competition.
Tell me....if I tag a fish, does it have to comply with IGFA? I've told skipper the line weight but he's never checked my leader length or hook placement and he's filled out the card.

What if you had a reel with an IGFA 37 kg mono..500 metres, then an undershot of 600 metres of 60 lb braid.....is that an all tackle outfit? Never ever seen the braid after numerous fish.

Any other curly ones?
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ohsoslow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 6:13pm
Ohsoslow View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I thought the igfa thing was only relevant in a comp, or a record situation? And even then.. I don't get what's to stop someone lying about line, lure etc..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mangre 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 6:30pm
mangre 2 View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

agree
Beautiful is better than ugly, Explicit is better than implicit, Simple is better than complex, Complex is better than complicated.      http://oceanmobilemap.blogspot.co.nz/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Uhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 6:54pm
Uhunter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Fishing comps are usually fished under IGFA rules. That includes rules on equipment, tackle, fishing method etc. There are specified arrangements for lures and restrictions on main line, backing, leader and double length. Record claims require verification of these and in that case you would be requested to present your fishing gear.
In regard to braid, many clubs and comps do not allow braid as it will often over test. However it can be fished for records but will require testing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Peter Pakula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 7:03pm
Peter Pakula View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Roy, tagging is primarily for research. If you aren't fishing for points then you can do whatever you want, but and it's an interesting but............ gamefishing is a sport based on rules so that like any other game you can gauge your own expertise.

There's nothing in any of the rules that makes catching fish any harder and if you do end up fishing in clubs or tourneys then you are used to fishing within the rules.

I notice guys say you can lie and cheat. Yes you can just like you can In most things in life. Gamefishing within the rules is largely down to trust.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mangre 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 7:34pm
mangre 2 View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Agree, Peter we all live within a code, and 99% do.

Beautiful is better than ugly, Explicit is better than implicit, Simple is better than complex, Complex is better than complicated.      http://oceanmobilemap.blogspot.co.nz/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 8:09pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by mangre 2 mangre 2 wrote:

Agree, Peter we all live within a code, and 99% do.

Yes but in general only kiwis and Ozzies follow the rules and genuine etiquacy... whereas the yanks don't give a sht
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ohsoslow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 8:13pm
Ohsoslow View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Bollocks.. I've come across plenty of Ozzies and kiwis that lie and cheat (especially to win comps)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 10:05pm
the demon View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Suppose if you belong to a fishing club that is a member of the nz sport fishing council ,you fish under there constitution . Rules/ regulations etc .If you don't,  you do what you want .

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 10:15pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Faily sure on the catch card there's a little note along the lines that you state you've fished under the rules. Be it a comp or not.
Some rules need a rethink though. Can't see any valid reason for not being able to have a backing. apart from maybe more capacity but even that's a bit lame. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lance@driveline.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 10:30pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Bay of islands will check your gear when its a fish that may qualify for club pins, trophy's etc. certainly did for our last few qualifying fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Weighmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 12:39am
Weighmaster View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

if we all fished to the rules then if your fish weighs more than mine does you win, if there were no rules and it was open season on tackle used who has the best fish if they are not caught on an equal footing.

me i like the structure of the rules and can compare any of my fish with others caught within the rules
otherwise where is the starting line and where is the finish line?

i like the rules so i fish by the rules my choice

trolling one knot faster, one degree off course, is where we should have been yesterday? or !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 1:06am
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

the other reason for staying within the rules is if you manage a World or NZ record and you haven't stayed within the rules then its just another fish, never to be recognized...
your call in the end but its not hard to stay within the rules, seriously now is it????
just pure lazyness or not concentrating on tackle when setting it up...

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 5:43am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Tackle used to catch fish that come to CSFC for weighing gets checked for compliance. not just for comps but  for all marlin, we may miss one or two (I don't think so though). Tagged fish should be the same as the anglers will still get recognised at prizegiving.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 6:46am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by BlackBill BlackBill wrote:

Bay of islands will check your gear when its a fish that may qualify for club pins, trophy's etc. certainly did for our last few qualifying fish.
Weighed in a couple at Paihia and never got checked.....a courtesy weigh for Raglan SFC, though.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 6:52am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

How would a weighmaster know if you had a topshot over braid or dacron anyway? unless you told him.
They will cast an eye over your gear normally and if something doesnt look right, they normally check it

www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 7:06am
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I am totally with Weighmaster on this. If you belong to a club which has trophies/pins or you are interested in records and you want your fish to count towards trophies then you HAVE to fish to IGFA & NZSFC rules whether it being tagging or weighing a fish. If you are not interested in the club trophies/pins/records etc then fish how you like but when you get the fish weighed you need to tell the weighmaster it is disqualified.

Another issue which confuses some people (Usually people who do not belong to clubs) when we talk about NZSFC & IGFA Rules is we use the term "legal" they think we are talking about things in a Recreational Fisheries Regulation sense and go off at a tangent when all we a re talking about is whether it is compliant with NZSFC and IGFA rules.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bite Time Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 7:22am
Bite Time View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I'm with Weighmaster and Marligator... The rules give those that elect to participate a standard that is, and has been adopted by choice for many years.

My understanding is that one of our NZ IGFA Reps is liaising with IGFA in an attempt to get the braid backing / test monofilament tippet matter addressed. Seems logical to me / to move with the times.... But then that's changing the standard - another whole debate.

Will it give that much of an advantage over those that have gone before? In most cases the gain would be marginal at best. With broadbill it would give more of a (greater) access advantage rather than a (minimal) fighting advantage..... Now there's a can of worms
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote groovyfisherman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 5:32pm
groovyfisherman View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

how many peolpe have had there tag pole checked for length also. nzsfc has a max length of 8 foot yet i know of people using much longer in my club.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Saltiga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 5:45pm
Saltiga View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Whanagroa will test lines, check leaders, hook length etc very often. 
Page  123>