Sounder options??

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rowannicks@gmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sounder options??
    Posted: 24 Jan 2015 at 2:57pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

hi. I'm looking at a new sounder for a 18' hard top tinny. Will have $5000-$6000 to spend. 
Probably a 10' not sure whether to go spilt plotter/ sounder or stand alone. For game fishing and deep water 70-100m jiggling. 
I am partial to furuno but what else is an option?
I miss killing things in NZ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2015 at 3:34pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Simrad NSS9 evo 2
It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rowannicks@gmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2015 at 5:33pm
Silver
Silver

Hi Captain, Why is this your prefetence? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishing Addiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2015 at 6:15pm
Fishing Addiction View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

From what I have seen there is 2 key options. Furuno is older technology but has been proven and at the top if that technology. Have jigged on several boats with them and able to find the schools with kings on them without much trouble
The other option is chirp by either garmin or simrad. I'm using garmin chirp and wow the detail is simply amazing. More precision and easier to read at depth for game fishing
Have a chat to capt Phill on here who ran a furuno and has switched to chirp and won't look back
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2015 at 6:47pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have to say I am biased...I have that unit myself. In three boats actually, the Ramonalola, currently residing, languishing, in a container on the wharves of Honiara, Superhero, my 7.2m challenger here in whitianga, unlikely ever to be used as I have decided to sell her if possible, and the one I use all the time, in Bespoke, the 5.5m Allenco side console I use at every opportunity.
However, there will be plenty of others out there who would have way more experience than I on using these in deep water.
It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rowannicks@gmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2015 at 7:24pm
Silver
Silver

Thanks gents. I had a good furuno on my charter boat 12 years ago and it was good for its purpose. Technology has changed so much and so fast that I am never too proud to ask. This chirp technology seems very new. I haven't heard enough to make an informed decision about it. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2015 at 8:47pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You may find this link interesting.
http://fishwrecked.com/forum/calling-chirp-advice-or-furuno-295
I like the comment half way through:

If you want stuff with all the latest Gizmos, get Simrad.

If your Hollywood and want to look good, get Raymarine.

If you want to catch fish, get Furuno.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote marlinmarty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2015 at 6:55am
marlinmarty View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hiya Rowan
kinda surprised BA hasn't chimed in here seeing you a both over the ditch
he raved about new simrad stuff
pretty happy with mine so far
structure scan is an entirely new level for me anyways

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2015 at 7:17am
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi Rhumbo,
I just want to comment on stand alone versus split.
I went split/one unit.
The thing I like is being able to swap the curser to the sounder screen and scroll it onto the structure I am marking and get it perfect.
It marks the structure not where the boat is.
Can even scroll back in time which is great when you start thinking "man I should have pinged that rock".
I have all kinds of marks now for jigging and also some close in rocks I can park on with super accuracy and dive.
Maybe now you can achieve this with two units linked?
Mine is an old HDS you have to put cole in to run with steam.
It is important to get as big as you can working with one as I'm sure you know.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CoastalStan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2015 at 7:37am
CoastalStan View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

BA cant give you any advice, Steve has been on holiday for a while. I think he may have decided that he was going to burn a few bridges on the way out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote marlinmarty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2015 at 8:45am
Platinum
Platinum

He was certainly full of it at times but was such a great character too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rowannicks@gmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2015 at 11:41am
Silver
Silver

thanks. I think I will have a hard decision to make. Simrad v furuno. 
I have some time up my sleeve. Have to sell my section at Bland bay first. 😭😭😭
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2015 at 12:18pm
Betty Boop View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have a older model that I control with an eye wink......and it pours a mean BourbonWinkHeartThumbs Up
Last week I joined an Anti-Social support group........They won't talk to me!

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote marlinmarty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2015 at 2:32pm
Platinum
Platinum

Whoa mate that sucKS
anyone else in the family ( sisters) still got some turf you can visit
must've been in family for bloody years
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rowannicks@gmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2015 at 9:17pm
Silver
Silver

hey Marty, yes sister still has hers. Economics say sell. For the amount I pay for rates etc. I can rent an awesome batch right on the water. 
But a place here and a 1850 stabi hard top. 
But yes. Grand parents retired up there in 1972. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bay Marine Electronics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 9:01am
Bay Marine Electronics View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

If you have a couple of months to spare, I would look at the Lowrance HDS evo 3 instead of the NSS evo 2 - The Navico products superceed each other, the NSS evo 2 was better than the HDS evo 2 which was better than the NSS V1 etc..
Alternatively the new Garmin units (GPSMAP 7400 / 7600) will be coming out shortly which also look really sharp. We have been VERY impressed with the Garmin CHIRP performance, especially in the kingfish type situation.

0800 BAY MARINE www.baymarineelectronics.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 2:44pm
mozz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I love Garmin equipment, I have had it on my last 6 centre consoles. Easy to use and combined with a chirp transducer will give you excellent readings in the depths you want.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 5:44pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Another thing to think about is warranty,the Garmin warranty so far has been nothing short of awesome.
The units are superb strait out of the box ,user friendly technology that your grandma could work out.
And by all accounts a market leader with there maps and chirp technology
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote marlinmarty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 8:54pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Rhumbo Rhumbo wrote:

hey Marty, yes sister still has hers. Economics say sell. For the amount I pay for rates etc. I can rent an awesome batch right on the water. 
But a place here and a 1850 stabi hard top. 
But yes. Grand parents retired up there in 1972. 

That's cool mate I guess your almost an aussie now too so it makes sense to cash up and invest in your new country
Hopefully the coastal prices have started to move up again they took a real hammering my sister would like to sell up at cooks beach but the values have been too depressed so they have hung on hoping for the economy to improve
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 3:00pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It would be interesting to hear Bluewater5's thoughts on Chirp sounders, I know he installed one on his boat and had no end of problems and ended up going back to a furuno. Andrew if you are listening can you post your thoughts on this subject.
Page  12>