Advice sought on buying a rifle scope

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Granville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice sought on buying a rifle scope
    Posted: 17 Jan 2015 at 10:04pm
Granville View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi,
What shop(s) in Christchurch is good to deal with to buy a rifle scope?  Or is it cheaper to buy on-line?

And what brands of rifle scopes are good, and are there any brands to avoid? (am looking at getting a 3-9x40).

Thanks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2015 at 5:14am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

depends on rifle,centre or rim fire
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Granville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2015 at 9:11am
Granville View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Centrefire.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lemmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2015 at 10:33am
lemmy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

General rule of thumb spend the same or more on your Scope as your Rifle , any of the European brands are good my preferance is Zeiss but no point putting one of those on a cheap rifle.
You wo,nt regret spending the money on good optics for the first and last hour of the day hunting.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2015 at 11:00am
tjm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If you can afford to buy new then any well know brand is probably ok. If you buy one from trademe or privately if your not an expert  then find some one to check the condition of the barrel and action.
A good gunsmith can remedy some faults but its good to have one that is reasonably accurate from day one. As for the caliber you would be opening a can of worms as it depends where you are doing most of your shooting. A well placed shot from any of the medium to larger calibers is better than a poor shot from any rifle.The scope is very important so try to spend as much as you can to get good mounts a scope. 
Cant beat hunting and Fishing in N.Z
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pro Fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2015 at 1:09pm
Pro Fish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Best bang for buck going around at mo for 3-9 x 40 are Hawke scopes less than $200.00

great reviews and go toe to toe with scopes triple their price.
i have 2 of them currently one on one of my Howas and one on 22 magnum

check out review in latest nz guns also theres a good article
cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote catch1t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2015 at 4:43pm
catch1t View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Best bang for buck going around at mo for 3-9 x 40 are Hawke scopes less than $200.00

yea, you dont need to bankrupt yourself on scopes. A lot of the hype re the Burris, Luepolds etc, is just that,, hype.

you can get a reasonably priced scope that performs equally as well as the high $$ optics..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Granville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2015 at 11:08pm
Granville View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for your replies. Interesting that low cost scopes can perform as equally as the higher value ones.

MInd you, I've never heard of of Hawke scopes, so I guess I have more research to do.

Thanks.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Southern_Jez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2015 at 8:30am
Southern_Jez View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Redfield scopes are a good value for money option also ... more the mid-price range ... basically they are a cheap Leupold. 

Dont cheap out on the mounts though, bloody important that your mounts don't move with a modest knock for obvious reasons. These are often overlooked in favour of pricing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2015 at 9:18am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

when sighting in a scope,what would be the max/min distance for sighting in?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Southern_Jez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2015 at 9:34am
Southern_Jez View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

when sighting in a scope,what would be the max/min distance for sighting in?

depends on the area you are hunting in ... 

I hunt mostly in the bush, so no real need to be sighted in at more than 50m. 
If I am going to hunt above the bushline I push it out to 100m for deer, if I am going for Thar i will go to 300m.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2015 at 11:23am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

thanks,will start at 50m mark,then it should just be minor adjustments?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2015 at 2:59pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

well that was interesting,on a open paddock at target 50m to 100m needed to turn elevation up only 1/2 a turn, using a hawke sport hd 4 x 32.Now using a nikko 4 x 32 over same distance 50m to 100m 1 full turn of elevation.on both scopes there was no need to adjust l/r windage. 
using .22 so i guess recoil action might not be to great on optics of these relatively cheap scopes.
preferred the hawke for focusing

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lemmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2015 at 4:37pm
lemmy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Granville Granville wrote:

Thanks for your replies. Interesting that low cost scopes can perform as equally as the higher value ones.

MInd you, I've never heard of of Hawke scopes, so I guess I have more research to do.

Thanks.

Theres no way you can compare a low cost scope to one of the higher grade scopes , its impossible because of the higher grade lens .
If someone out there can supply a cheap scope that does the same as any model from Zeiss , Schmidt bender , Swarovski or Kahles under any conditions and altitude I would be amazed.
You spend thousands of dollars flying into a remote hunting spot to find out your Scope is a Fogmaster and suddenly the price difference between a good scope and an average one is justified.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2015 at 5:24pm
feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Horses for courses, my latest scope is a Bushnell with rainguard, perfect for what I want, the rainguard is the ducks nuts, on a 223.

Cheers
The only bar to frequent is the Kawhia Bar
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote churbay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 8:55am
churbay View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have a bushnell scope on my rifle. Rainguard is the shizz. Way cheaper of you buy online from overseas. Opticszone or Optics planet are good.Re sighting in,  If you are bang on at 50 you should be a little high at 100 and a little low at 200. Make sure you have good rings and mounts. No sense in getting a good cope if your mounts wont hold it still.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 9:21am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

so maybe if i sighted at 150m then it will good enough at 100m to 200m?do not get out often and borrowed rifle but owner never/rarely goes,basically holds on to them for when i visit.thought about buying and have safe.mainly when bored go to his property and have a bit of target and occasional possum hunt,there is deer sign at his dam but not allowed to shoot them,he likes to shoot them with a camera.out the back of hunua which drops in to mangatawhiri.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 9:31am
cod View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

buy a decent scope nothing worse then not been able to see I use zeiss on most of my rifles with hd5 and victory v8 on two guns and have a 270 howa with a new nico stirling that's a spare when mates come.... .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Granville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 7:45pm
Granville View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for the latest replies. Will check out those internet shops.
Cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pro Fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 5:10pm
Pro Fish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I feel reasonably qualified to respond to some of the comments here.
Both my short action Howas have different scopes with high end and mid end scopes respectively.
you will see my post on this forum from last year all these fallow and 2 of the pigs were shot with 223 howa with Zeiss scope.
However ive matched the 7mm08 with Hawke scope and had equally good results.

To be completely open and honest, the zeiss has the nudge in low light by a bit. But the Hawke has it in everything else going as far as i reckon its got a better reticle. I also find it overall clearer in full view not just target view and this is from shooting at my range and also hunting redskins. its weather proof and ive used it in humid rainy conditions ( worst for scopes ) in winter just gone.

someone mentioned redfield also but had one of those on 243 winchester mod 70 and it fogged in the rain.

seriously give Hawkes 3-9 x 40 a crack you wont be disappointed

Page  12>