Reel size advice

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reel size advice
    Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 6:12pm
Chaff View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi team, as previously mentioned I am in serious need of a new reel. Now thinking Lawson Konic or Guru.

I have always fished the old Sage 108M that came with my original rod. I fish a 7 weight flight now, but would prefer a smaller reel. I was wondering if it was OK for me to go for the reel that suits a 5-6, rather than a 7-8. I fish across the spread of rivers, mainly nymphing.

Any advice on reels or reel size appreciated.

Spent a nice day up the Mandamus today. Shallow clear. Saw 5 tidy fish but spooked the lot of them. I clearly need some practise.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 6:30pm
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I prefer something that can hold a bit of backing to increase the arbor size.
The flyline doesn't end up with a permanent coil in it otherwise.

In all honesty, there are soooooo many reels to choose from these days, buyers are spoilt for choice.
Sage make great gear - if you go back down that path.
Great service and follow up if there are drama's down the track.

Having said that, I'm still using my System II reels from yesteryear. (why change a winning comboLOL)
They have a great drag system too.

I think it's what you're comfortable with mate - there'll be lots of different opinions I'm sure.
Lighter definitely makes it more enjoyable.
"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 6:46pm
Pole Dancer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'd agree with Kevin, lots of options, but personally I'd go for the Sage 2250 Fully sealed drag. Only a tick over $200 Lifetime warranty.
www.clarkreid.co.nz   FFF Certified Casting Instructor / Umpqua Designer Tier
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote o Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 6:59pm
o Neill View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

On the topic of reels anyone know a stockist here who could still have the Ross Evolution 3 reel? Need another spool or a reel itself.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 7:05pm
Titanium
Titanium

Try Mike Davis at Rotorua Hunting and Fishing, has a massive reel collection and spare spools for some older models as well.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2014 at 10:42am
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

If you are using several different fishing modes for trout than my advice would be to buy a reasonably priced reel and add one or two spare spools to give yourself some leeway when it comes to lines.    Buy an expensive reel and a spare spool will cost you almost as much.      Secondly for trout fishing the drag is largely irrelevant and at best only prevents an over run.    Thirdly even small reels hold a lot of line as long as you don't load them up with traditional backing.I use 50m of thin 15kg braid, which hardly takes up any room on the arbour.    That way I can get an #8 Rio Gold on my 5/6 okuma STV reel with room to spare.      A smaller reel will automatically be lighter and feel much better on todays feather light blanks.

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2014 at 8:25pm
TS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Why is drag irrelevant on trout rainbow? Do you palm the reel?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2014 at 10:14pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I use drag on most large fish, I'd have a 3rd degree burn on my palm from a big Rainbow yesterday if I didn't!!!... I would certainly disagree it's irrelevant, I also palm the spool as an added measure to add pressure if required. It can also free up a hand to quickly adjust something, push a camera button, hold some foliage in a tight spot or steady yourself, to me it's very important and the smoother the better.

A #2 in the Lamson range would be perfect, you'll hardly ever see the backing, and if you're worried about capacity, as Herb says, run some 10kg braid, it takes up a lot less room than dacron backing. I used to chop of 3-4m from every new fly line as I'd never cast a full line usually, and it made me look look like a demon caster when I did....
https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2014 at 11:15pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

When You fish with a 6-7or even an 8lbs tippet you don't want much drag pressure via the reel.    There is enough line friction in the bent rod and water pressure on the line especially if the fish is on the other side of the current.    I only set a light drag and if need be use my fingers seldom the palm to increase pressure to stop a fish going over the lip or prevent it from snagging against roots etc.     I don't play around with the drag during a fight to horse a fish in.     I would rather follow them if need be.      Mind you I am talking about trout and not salt water fish where a good smooth drag is essential on any reel.      The tuna have arrived in Taranaki so with a bit of luck tomorrow I shall be smoking the drag on my low profile bait casters.

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TheBadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2014 at 11:44pm
TheBadger View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Rainbow Rainbow wrote:

When You fish with a 6-7or even an 8lbs tippet you don't want much drag pressure via the reel.    There is enough line friction in the bent rod and water pressure on the line especially if the fish is on the other side of the current.   

How exactly do you get a bent rod without drag in the reel? The bend is derived from that drag.

People need to get over this outdated notion that drag is irrelevant in a trout reel. A smooth drag that puts out moderate drag (because yes, I agree, you don't need THAT much) will assist you in landing more fish. End of story.

That doesn't mean you need to buy anything expensive. I really like the look of the Lamson Gurus (I would suggest buying a machined aluminium, rather than forged, reel - which rules out the Konic), but I also have had a Shimano Biocraft for years and years. It's a very dependable, basic and functional reel.
'Badger on the other hand, he's basically a bum'
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2014 at 8:08am
Chaff View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks everyone lots to think about.

Hurunui today. I love holidays.

Al
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2014 at 3:22pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

I did not say I don't use drag I just don't get off on all this talk about its importance in trout fishing.     Not hard to get a bend in a #5 or 6# rod even on light tippet.     I prefer to control line tension beyond my light drag setting with my fingers on the line for instant and fine tuned response instead of fiddling around with the drag knob.      Worked for me on tens of thousands of fish many in the double figures.   Lets face it trout aren't great fighters without current help.    The average kahawai would pull any trout backwards.

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2014 at 4:43pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

That's where you need a good drag.    

Rainbow

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2014 at 4:47pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by TheBadger TheBadger wrote:

When You fish with a 6-7or even an 8lbs tippet you don't want much drag pressure via the reel.    There is enough line friction in the bent rod and water pressure on the line especially if the fish is on the other side of the current.   

How exactly do you get a bent rod without drag in the reel? The bend is derived from that drag.

People need to get over this outdated notion that drag is irrelevant in a trout reel. A smooth drag that puts out moderate drag (because yes, I agree, you don't need THAT much) will assist you in landing more fish. End of story.

That doesn't mean you need to buy anything expensive. I really like the look of the Lamson Gurus (I would suggest buying a machined aluminium, rather than forged, reel - which rules out the Konic), but I also have had a Shimano Biocraft for years and years. It's a very dependable, basic and functional reel.

Well said Jack.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2014 at 4:54pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by flyfisher flyfisher wrote:

I use drag on most large fish, I'd have a 3rd degree burn on my palm from a big Rainbow yesterday if I didn't!!!... I would certainly disagree it's irrelevant, I also palm the spool as an added measure to add pressure if required. It can also free up a hand to quickly adjust something, push a camera button, hold some foliage in a tight spot or steady yourself, to me it's very important and the smoother the better.

Well said Andrew, while the vast majority of trout will not measure up in a fight against a Kahawai or the like, I have had many that as I am sure everyone in this discussion has that has given me absolute hair raising moments with runs, jumps and battles the equivalent of any sea run fish and where a good drag benefited not only the angler but the fish in allowing it to be subdued in much faster fashion with less exhaustion than nagging it to death rendering it unfit to release at the culmination of the fight.. Some fish, one I recall well on the Mangamaire a few seasons back had me in serious doubt I would ever control the mental beast for the first 5 minutes of the fight... it was landed and was 6 1/2lb. I have had double figure fish in could have hand line in. Nothing is cut and dried. and while it is true to say in average use the drag is only of minimal importance, when you want it, you really want it.

All of the reels mentioned in this thread will do what you want Chaff, If, like The Badger, you don;t like forged reels which the 2250 is (Personally i con't mind them at all, to each their own) then the 3200 series is the identical design from machined bars stock.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2014 at 6:01pm
Titanium
Titanium

That's where you need a good drag.    

Rainbow

Sadly, your reliance on the weakest part of the rod by actually trying to fight the fish using the advance handle is poor form and shows why you are not making a whole lot of sense. That forward handle is to rest with not to apply pressure when the strongest part of the rod is below your left hand. Cute Albie though, great fish that goes hard early! You got many of these???

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2014 at 10:00pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

I have got several kayaks so why don't you come out with me one day to show me how good you are.      The tuna season lasts until the end of April on the West Coast which should give you plenty of time to get a bit of condition on and get rid of some of your beer gut.      A 40km paddle will sort you out.      You wont be able to drag your big arse up the ramp.

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote o Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2014 at 10:17pm
o Neill View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That photo Clark will certainly fire some of us up.
That sort of fish needs both a great drag and an even better technique.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2014 at 10:28pm
TS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have got several kayaks so why don't you come out with me one day to show me how good you are.      The tuna season lasts until the end of April on the West Coast which should give you plenty of time to get a bit of condition on and get rid of some of your beer gut.      A 40km paddle will sort you out.      You wont be able to drag your big arse up the ramp.

Rainbow

Thats low, even for you rainbow.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2014 at 10:30pm
Titanium
Titanium

Rainbow

The best you have is to turn a fishing discussion into a Kayaking competition???Confused

Lets try this, you come and fish for my fish with a reel with no drag and we'll see how that goes... 

Bit pathetic!!!!OuchEmbarrassed
Page  12>