Waipu Stripstrike Get-Together Tuesday??

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Waipu Stripstrike Get-Together Tuesday??
    Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 8:31am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Anyone interested in a Strip-Strike get-together at Waipu River on Tuesday afternoon / evening (Dec 23) ? I need to pick up a daughter at Whangarei on Wednesday morning so I thought it might be a good chance to have a pre-Xmas get-together on the Tuesday evening before.

The forecast is for light easterlies, low swell, and an outside chance of a shower. Waipu River is not a sensational fly fishing spot, but it can have good runs of kahawai, plenty of parore and flounder, and a wild-card chance of a kingfish. Last time Wolfie and I fished the high tide in the river - total catch - one two kilo kahawai.

It is however a 'half-way' salt fly destination for everyone from Auckland north. Around an hour and forty five from the Bridge probably. The tide is low at 3pm and rising through to full at 9pm. We could have a bit of a late lunch gathering in the car park then hit the river.

I have never fished the river on this early incoming tide before, and the river changes constantly, so all fishing will be a bit of a mystery. There is a knee deep wade to get to the other side of the estuary that will turn into a swim by the time you return. I will be taking a bogey board to float my fishing pack on for the return journey. The plan is to fish the incoming edge of the tide out at the mouth, then get back to the breakwater as the river fills (that's when we will have to wade up to our armpits across a safe part of the estuary). Other late starters may just want to fish the breakwater only.

Needless to say it is not a place to leave valuables in cars and since there should be some of us coming and going all evening I think we can watch over each others cars.

Other point to note is that it is an important wildlife sanctuary. Take note of fenced off areas, take a torch with you, and watch where you put your feet. A track through the dunes to the beach is fairly well marked.

So who's keen?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mike.Thomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 8:40am
Mike.Thomas View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Love to, but work will be mad, it's our last day before closing for a week so no chance of getting away.
All the best
Mike
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 8:55am
[email protected] View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

It's a beautiful spot and and opportunities for different species and tactics.

My place of employment has closed for summer break so I should be good for this - if so I should be able to offer a lift to a couple of others.

[edit]
Good to go! I'm in Henderson if anyone wants a lift, could fit in 2-3.

What time for meet up exactly Craig?

The Auckland Swoffer
www.AucklandSwoffer.wordpress.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DeVille Incarnate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 9:03am
DeVille Incarnate View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Sounds awesome Craig, I'd def be in for this one as I've never fished up that neck of the woods before!

As with you Mark I'm on the big easy now too so also available for anything that's going. I'd be keen to chip in for fuel and catch a ride with you - no use everyone going up in separate cars, it's just silly, so pencil me in if you have a spare spot, thanks!

Approach with extreme caution - I NEVER look where my back cast is going....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bass-ist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 9:19am
bass-ist View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have masses of the wife's family invading over the next several days. It's possible, in the confusion, I might be able to sneak away. Sounds fun
I'll stay in touch
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 9:39am
Platinum
Platinum

Gordy - If you load the ladder in the car you can always say you going to help a mate on a building job, but of course your family might be wise to that ...Wink
The Auckland Swoffer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 10:00am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Gordy, just bring that large wooden thing with strings on it and call it work

Be good to have a few there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote desmofrankie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 7:28pm
desmofrankie View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Would have been dead keen to join!
Desperately running ou tof time though... have funThumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 7:57pm
Pole Dancer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

tempted to come up just to say gidday, but still running out of breath just walking to car. Have a great time folks.
www.clarkreid.co.nz   FFF Certified Casting Instructor / Umpqua Designer Tier
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Michaele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 9:43pm
Michaele View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I'd be into this but working that day. Sounds a great meet though. Good luck all!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2014 at 1:48pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Getting ready- six weight rigged with a bonefish floater for flounder, parore and kahawai, 12wt rigged for mythical kingfish. That's about the whole species range sorted with two rods. I like that
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote matto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2014 at 2:58pm
matto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Have fun , excellent weather Thumbs Up catch a friken mullet please !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2014 at 4:40pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

I wondered who was going to mention that word Smile 

The only mullet I intend to be interested in are those that are escaping from kingfish.

But then, I have weakened before...   LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2014 at 8:22pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Craig Worthington Craig Worthington wrote:

Getting ready- six weight rigged with a bonefish floater for flounder, parore and kahawai, 12wt rigged for mythical kingfish. That's about the whole species range sorted with two rods. I like that

Sounds like a good spread- I'm looking a 5wt and 8 wt. Only nice kingfish are to reply to my offerings!

BTW what time to meet up Craig?
The Auckland Swoffer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2014 at 8:28pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ive fished it quite a bit on the incoming,
You get huge schools of Parore around the end of the breakwater
fish it from the sand with a Floating line,, long as leader with indicateron flyline end and a small red/ pink worm with dumbbell eyes.
really enjoyeable sight fishing in clear water,some pretty sizey for parore fish in their that really pull string.
lots of them hang out aswell at the little reef at the beginning of the breakwater[upstream]

im Boring postholes for my deck that day
Fun with Machinery!
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DeVille Incarnate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2014 at 9:11pm
Silver
Silver

Ok, I'll probably bring along my 9wt cause I'm expecting some pretty hefty kahawai tomorrow, and of course the canon for His Royal Highness. That should cover the bases for me.

And also they are the only two rods I own...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2014 at 8:29am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Weather looking good. Light easterly breezes with a bit of cloud about.
I'll be fishing 3pm until dark. Anybody else turning up just go for a wander and look for fly fishers. Not hard to miss
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DeVille Incarnate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2014 at 8:40am
Silver
Silver

Yea, the three blokes with bends in their rods, that'll be us.

Hey, it's Christmas, I'm allowed to be happy!!

Merry Christmas everybody!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ahab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2014 at 8:36pm
Ahab View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Hoping you guys did OK! I'm in Hawke's Bay, heading out in the morn for a river mouth flick.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Weemandan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2014 at 11:04am
Weemandan View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Anyone hook a mullet??? ;-) haha
Page  12>