Kingfish

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sidekick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kingfish
    Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 5:52pm
Sidekick View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi all,
I am new to Kingfishing so I ask you experianced people to help me out please.
1st. Am I better to use a spinning reel or an overhead,
2nd.Do I put extra strong braid on.
3rd. I was thinking of using
stick baits, or poppers or any others you people can advise me on.
Many thanks,
Sidekick.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 6:25pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey Sidekick,
You can use either spinning or an overhead reel, but if you are casting poppers & stickbaits then definately a spinning real will be needed along with a stickbait/popper rod around 7 or 8 foot long.
If you are jigging then you can use whichever reel you prefer, spin or overhead, and a jigging rod to match. 

The strength of braid you choose also depends on the type of reel you have, no point putting 100lb braid on a reel that can only put out 10kg of drag. 

Where abouts are you fishing? I don't know what you're budget is but I would suggest getting 2 setups, one for stickbaits and one for jigging, just entry level sets at this stage no need to spend thousands to start out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sidekick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 7:35pm
Sidekick View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thankyou very much Coxie,

I know this is the place to ask for help, and you were straight in with it.
Now I know where I can start from.
I will be fishing at the eastern end of waiheke most of the time, so I woll go shopping and see what I can afford.
Again Coxie, thanks heaps
Sidekick..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 7:51pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

No problem mate I'm pretty new to kingis myself and just starting to have some good success. I've been going further out in the gulf but no doubt the fish will be coming in closer as the water warms.
Good luck
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 8:15pm
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi Sidekick, targeting Kings is lots of fun, some things I've observed that may help:
Buying hi end second hand gear is better than buying brand new average gear.
Stick baits will always out fish poppers on Kings & it's hard to find a rod that can do both so focus on a rod that works stick baits.
All components of any setup jigging or top water has to basically match in terms of rod,reel,braid, jig the lot all has to be in the same range.
Get to know one or more tackle store guys get advice & deals on your gear.
Good luck
Tight lines
PE Pete
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 9:13pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good advice Pete. You may even be able to put an add up in the buy and sell section on here and find some good gear