more wasted fish...

Page  <1234>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishabunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2014 at 9:53pm
Fishabunga View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

simple fix but not cheap change the net size. a hawkes bay man can do it unaided by mpi so the bigger players can wear the cost too.

exactly paul  ricks nets save on fuel also so that has to be a big plus.
FISH FIGHT AOTEAROA THE PEOPLES PROTEST
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2014 at 11:47pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

ive looked at the net problem, and yes it needs refining.
there are a couple of ideas out there that would work well depending on what your targeting,
if you still want to catch Leather Jackets Jack Mackerel Frost fish then your not about to use one of these nets,
why because these fish can swim out as well, they are more suited for Gurnard snapper JDs Tarakihi which yes is fantastic,
but you loose out on a few other by catch which have no Quota or are very high that the inshore fishery will never land them anyway...

like i said before its easier to reduce the quota of the big 3 Gurnard JDs Tarakihi to a point that its catch-able within the first 9months of the season so the Comm's will not still be chasing them when its impossible to land the Quota they have now,
its while they are chasing these 3 species that they keep catching snapper and dumping them, because in their words there are too many snapper....

here are two of the catch records first is Gurnard "catch should be 750t" and the second is JDs "catch should be 300t" the dark red line is the Quota "TACC"
the green lines are what they have caught per year...
so as quick as it took me to write this MPI could F#*KING fix it...

take no notice of 2014 that is not a complete year....

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dalgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 7:50am
dalgo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Very well put Lethal. Those graphs really illustrate the problem, pity MPI can't see it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 8:12am
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Of course they can see it. They just don't give a rats ass. They see figures like that and think "what's the problem, comms could catch WAY more of these, why are you complaining"
Their second thought is "all that under utilised quota, needs to be caught so we can earn our levies from the comms, and we will have a bigger budget! Find out some way or some one who will catch that quota!"
The bureaucratic mind looks at life from a rather skewed angle I think. Even skewedier than mine, and that is saying something! :-)
It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mowerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 8:29am
mowerman View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

MPI certainty don't give a rats ass ...We recs cant even catch Gurnard ,JD or for that matter trevally ( well few and far between ) as they have allowed those species to be fished down to a point of not being , abundant species .They continue to allow this to happen at the cost of more abundant by catch which is killed in my eyes for nothing..We recs then have our daily allowances reduced to try and balance what they allow to happen ..
MPI directors obviously have their hands in the profits of the cookie jar

What gets me is they bleat to the world about best practice and sustainable fishing ....this is what we should be doing >>>> undermining in our world markets to stop buying products' that are not eco friendly <<<<..is this what NZ does as regard's to products we buy ??

What a double set of standards !!!
The People Protest

Actions Speak Louder Than Words    
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 8:48am
Titanium
Titanium

I don't think it is fair to accuse the MPI of outright corruption, in fact I think that is not an issue at all. The thing is though that MPI is there not to ensure rec fishermen can catch heaps of fish, but to ensure that commercial fisheries make as much money as poss for themselves and by extension the country.
That is what I meant about those graphs of Lethals, MPI would look at those as immediately seek to increase the catches of those "undercaught, under-utilised" species.
MPIs job is not to be a recreational fishing advocate. MPIs job is to maximise commercial fishing.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mowerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 10:29am
mowerman View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Capt Asparagus Capt Asparagus wrote:

I don't think it is fair to accuse the MPI of outright corruption, in fact I think that is not an issue at all. The thing is though that MPI is there not to ensure rec fishermen can catch heaps of fish, but to ensure that commercial fisheries make as much money as poss for themselves and by extension the country.
That is what I meant about those graphs of Lethals, MPI would look at those as immediately seek to increase the catches of those "undercaught, under-utilised" species.
MPIs job is not to be a recreational fishing advocate. MPIs job is to maximise commercial fishing.

""MPI would look at those as immediately seek to increase the catches of those "undercaught, under-utilised" species.""

Those species are bordering on collapse ,that's why they cant achieve the catch allowed ..
So more time is spent trying to catch fewer and fewer fish ,in the meantime killing more and more other species

This is fishing down the food chain .

The only effective way to rebuild the fisheries
is to take less from it

There are multiple issues surrounding recreational fishers continued access to the fisheries.......Coming our way

Be it increased wastage from new size limits

Closed seasons for certain fish specie's

Large no take areas being created as reserves

Fish farms

So far nothing on John Keys discussion paper what was due in November re the recreational fishing area promised prior to the election ..>>> must of been another of his lies or maybe hes forgotten ???

I think we are all in for a very big shock and its coming sooner than you may be thinking
The People Protest

Actions Speak Louder Than Words    
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 10:37am
Cbro View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

OK so went fishing today.   Two long liners hauling gear. We drove past quickly and saw dead snapper floating. Now these guys are non doubt the culprits of the fish washing up.

Fish are coming in at night, these guys must be setting at night an leaving them soaking all night an haulin on the morning. They will be biffing back the dead on the line fish that would have likely been gut hooked hence the report of no hook wounds.

Talked to another fisher women at the ramp who caught nothing an was disgusted at the floating fish. Being a local and part of the itm crew you can't sayou it's bad angling.

Noticed the liners move wide after hauling. So they targeting the small amount of school fish moving in close at dark an then hitting the deep. I don't see how leaving your gear in the water all night is acceptable if this is the amount of waist from doing so.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 11:54am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

not good cbro. Very likely that there are the culprits. Get any photos. Setting at night would leave some fish riddled with sealice and probably not good for the export market.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 1:28pm
Titanium
Titanium

Hence them dumping them. Not very smart from the long liners.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2014 at 11:08am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hey Eric,whats wrong with net size increase?who wants to buy gurnard at 150mm?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2014 at 11:26am
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

that is complete bollox!!!……apart from informing the f.net.nz community….what else did you do CBro?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Glaucus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2014 at 11:34am
Glaucus View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Cbro Cbro wrote:

OK so went fishing today.   Two long liners hauling gear. We drove past quickly and saw dead snapper floating. Now these guys are non doubt the culprits of the fish washing up.

Fish are coming in at night, these guys must be setting at night an leaving them soaking all night an haulin on the morning. They will be biffing back the dead on the line fish that would have likely been gut hooked hence the report of no hook wounds.

Noticed the liners move wide after hauling. So they targeting the small amount of school fish moving in close at dark an then hitting the deep. I don't see how leaving your gear in the water all night is acceptable if this is the amount of waist from doing so.

I'm not sure what sort of liner it was you saw but just a bit of info... Depending on the type of long-lining they are doing they may be required to set at night. Surface long-liners (liners that are suspended between floats at the surface and not attached to sea floor) unless weighted accordingly cannot set half an hour before dawn and half an hour after dusk. This is to reduce bird by-catch... 

Regardless I do agree... Minimising waste should be something that MPI address more directly.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Glaucus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2014 at 12:51pm
Glaucus View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

****Cannot set between half an hour before dawn and half an hour after dusk
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2014 at 2:30pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

Hey Eric,whats wrong with net size increase?who wants to buy gurnard at 150mm?

trawl net size is 250 but due to it being shaped like a diamond when under load the shape will decrease to virtually nil, absolutely ridiculous scenario and this will catch everything...

the 2 thoughtful Comm's with their different configurations, one a cage and the other a off set mesh like square shaped which will not close up under load or at any stage of the trawl are really what the Comm's need to change to, just shows some are quite keen to reduce their undersized catch, yet MPI couldn't give a rats ass about the fishery, MPI obviously dont want to rock the boat...

here is a pic of what a diamond net looks like when under load, virtually no gap at all, so increasing the mesh size will not make any difference...

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2014 at 7:05pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

scary,no escape,just crushed fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2014 at 7:23pm
Cbro View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Kezza Kezza wrote:

that is complete bollox!!!……apart from informing the f.net.nz community….what else did you do CBro?

Not a lot, but that's still more than your dribbling.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2014 at 7:03am
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi Kezza,
I had my nephews out on the boat yesterday and we took 6 snaps out of the spawing fishery and discussed how many we needed for the whole family to eat on Christmas eve before doing so.

We also talked about fish dumping, Commercial take, and water quality and if we should have been there at all.

Due to people like Cbro posting I stay better informed and when I talk to others which I do a lot or hang with my teen age nephews I am up to date with things and can put a good argument together for helping our future fishery health.

I get tons of info and opinions from the site and so I think it is all usefull when posted.

We all need to take what we learn here and talk to our communities which I feel is worth something if we can help create a groundswell for change.

If we stop talking and *****ing there is no hope of change.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2014 at 7:15am
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

totally agree Garry…..love that you did the math…i.e. asking the question "how many do we need" rather that the traditional "bin full"….good stuff

At the end of the day posting on forums/facebook pages is just "talk" which is fantastic to increase general knowledge and share opinion but at the end of the unless that "talk" transfers to something tangible like in this instance calling 0800 POACHER and supporting LegaSea then that change just won't happen.

Anyhoo...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2014 at 11:59am
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

this site in particular has give me the information and understanding of how the system works if it wasnt for people like John H from LegaSea and Tagit plus others who have dug up information from off the net we wouldnt be so well informed,
it has been one huge leaning curve,
we started off blaming the people that do the fishing Comm's but they are just the tip of the Iceberg,
just like a Iceberg there is way more hidden under water than is sticking out above it,
when you start to dig around you find the Goverment/MPI/Quota Holder/Fishing Companies are the true plunders of our fisheries not the poor guy stuck out in front "comm's" to take the blame,

then when we start to understand that, we realize just who is being payed by who to advise the Goverment on our fishery,
the very thought of what go's on behind closed doors before its released to the public is scary to say the least, when you consider this is a resource that is owned by all yet we have some truly unscrupulous people that are in it for just the money,

the one thing which i have learn't more than anything is Maori with a now huge percentage have also taken the easy road which is counter to what they stand for, i am very disappointed in their attitude towards something they hold very dear to their heart, i wont go into the benefits they are loosing out on,
but what i would like to say is if they stood up to be counted they could be the ones to change the whole system for the better,

well that is my two cents worth,

Kezza how about you adding something to this your more informed about how Maori use this resource???        

Page  <1234>