more wasted fish...

Page  123 4>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: more wasted fish...
    Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 1:01pm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 1:17pm
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

"Others noted that a commercial longliner had been working in the bay, targeting skipjack tuna, and that the snapper, for which the fishermen would not have quota, had likely been deliberately dumped."

Yep stopped reading after this gem!…almost as good as some of the "reporting" that goes on in here.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Olfart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 1:19pm
Olfart View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hardly likely to have been a longliner.  The article says quite clearly the fish did not appear to have been hooked, so make of that what you will...
Semper in excreta sumus, solum profundum variat....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote A C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 2:08pm
A C View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sad to see .
Aye-Aye cloth eyes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 2:29pm
Cbro View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The snapper have not been in the bay. Most people who have strggled to catch fish are very likely far better fishermen than yourself. It is likely one of the many trawlers coming back from further north w ere they have been hammering it has dumped it on his way into the bay. The easterly we have had would have pushed those fish inshore.
But then those living in Auckland likely know more about our coast than the locals...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spectrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 3:43pm
Spectrum View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

we need to do something about this enough is enough
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 5:04pm
Cbro View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

They should be made to land the catch regardless at there own cost. Profit's from catch should go to mpi. Mpi should use the prof its towards keepING an eye on them and very very hefty fines for fish dumping. Such as loss of quota or and take the boat.
simple if your going to waist a resource you lose the privilege.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ramcoed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 6:23pm
ramcoed View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Its a waste alrite,but whos to say who dumped them ???commercial boat or recreational boat???one shouldn't be so quick to point fingers with out any proof at all!
limit your catch not catch your limit!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mowerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 9:59pm
mowerman View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by ramcoed ramcoed wrote:

Its a waste alrite,but whos to say who dumped them ???commercial boat or recreational boat???one shouldn't be so quick to point fingers with out any proof at all!

why would a rec boat dump those.? find that difficult to swallow ..Proof or not that is a lot of good fish wasted by someone who does know better
The People Protest

Actions Speak Louder Than Words    
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 10:07pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Cbro Cbro wrote:

The snapper have not been in the bay. Most people who have strggled to catch fish are very likely far better fishermen than yourself. It is likely one of the many trawlers coming back from further north w ere they have been hammering it has dumped it on his way into the bay. The easterly we have had would have pushed those fish inshore.
But then those living in Auckland likely know more about our coast than the locals...

So you don't really know and have made an assumption that a trawler who was fishing further north has brought these into the bay to dump them ?

and you've made another assumption in thinking we aucklanders know more about your coast line than you do ?

This place is great for conspiracy theories
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 10:15pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Kezza Kezza wrote:

"Others noted that a commercial longliner had been working in the bay, targeting skipjack tuna, and that the snapper, for which the fishermen would not have quota, had likely been deliberately dumped."

Yep stopped reading after this gem!…almost as good as some of the "reporting" that goes on in here.

I'm sure lots of long liners target skippies Big smile. The trouble with many media reports is they quote absolutely anyone with an opinion and next minute it's a fact because it's on the internet!

It's a shocking waste and probably not from a surface longliner targeting skipjack, probably not from a commercial longliner targeting skipjack on the sea floor, it COULD possibly be from a rec fishing poacher who got a fright from a fisheries officer or a commercial snapper longliner (why? They look like prime fish) or a commercial netter (why? They look like prime fish). Maybe they were over quota, wrong species or perhaps gear failure. Maybe it was a type of snapper ebola. None of us know why. All we know is it is a despicable waste of fish and I hope the authorities get to the bottom of it.

BTW CBro I've moved this to 'Fisheries Management' so it gets the attention it deserves. I've left a link in the Briny Bar so as not to upset anyone Smile
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 10:17pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Originally posted by Kezza Kezza wrote:

"<span style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Calibri, Candara, Segoe, 'Segoe UI', Optima, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 16px; line-height: 21px;">Others noted that a commercial longliner had been working in the bay, targeting skipjack tuna, and that the snapper, for which the fishermen would not have quota, had likely been deliberately dumped."</span>
<span style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Calibri, Candara, Segoe, 'Segoe UI', Optima, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 16px; line-height: 21px;">
</span>
<font size="3" face="Calibri, Candara, Segoe, Segoe UI, Optima, Arial, sans-serif"><span style="line-height: 21px;">Yep stopped reading after this gem!…almost as good as some of the "reporting" that goes on in here.</span>

I'm sure lots of long liners target skippies Big smile. The trouble with many media reports is they quote absolutely anyone with an opinion and next minute it's a fact because it's on the internet!

It's a shocking waste and probably not from a surface longliner targeting skipjack, probably not from a commercial longliner targeting skipjack on the sea floor, it COULD possibly be from a rec fishing poacher who got a fright from a fisheries officer or a commercial snapper longliner (why? They look like prime fish) or a commercial netter (why? They look like prime fish). Maybe they were over quota, wrong species or perhaps gear failure. Maybe it was a type of snapper ebola. None of us know why. All we know is it is a despicable waste of fish and I hope the authorities get to the bottom of it.

Your making to much sence,cant possibly right
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mowerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 10:27pm
mowerman View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This place is great for conspiracy theories ...either that or we like to read into things a little further..where there is smoke there is fire( or at least its hot )

Fact is a hell of a lot of fish are being wasted,up and down the coast everyday of the year .Many of us are sick and tired of seeing dead and wasted fish of any size ,often by the net full ( as they are still in it )

The fisheries is under enormous pressure to be able to sustain itself at a level to be called productive and healthy .
We don't want to see fish wasted , it hits a few nerves when we see it like this.
It is easy to lay blame and point fingers .Those that have been picked up and photo in here would be some of them ..rest to sure there a lot more washed up in other areas or have sunk
The tip of the ice berg is all we see .

The plunder off the east coast off northland over the years ( huge purse seinlers ) took thousands of tonns of KY ,Hikurangi Fisheries stripped the snapper (Happy Youvich ) ..The crays ,scallops all hammered to death

As an Aucklander I know the East coast of northland like the back of my hand ,Grew up in Whangarei ,surfed up and down the coast ,diving,yachting,fishing ,climbed to the top of Mt Mania ,lived in the oil refinery and played around the tanks when it was being built .Those days we would set up a flood light off the tanker wharf and spear fish at night

As in an earlier it stated they showed no signs of being hooked

Well that only points to netting in that case

Maybe a reward should be offered that leads to identifying to whom dumped the fish...

Money talks and loose lips sinks ships
The People Protest

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 11:13pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by mowerman mowerman wrote:

As in an earlier it stated they showed no signs of being hooked

Well that only points to netting in that case

Given the bunkum about tuna long liners that Kezza pointed out, who's to say that bit is true either Wink. Seems pretty unlikely they have been hooked though.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2014 at 6:21am
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Interestingly my friend works on the odd boat doing repairs.
He was on a trawler in the last two weeks in Mangonui and they target carrots and Trevs (don't know why).
Anyway he said he throws back all snapper caught as he has no quota.

A while back he had an observer on his boat for a 4 day trip.
He went wide and fished areas of little return.
After he dropped the guy off on the following trip he caught 8 ton of carrots!!!!
How many snapper do you kill to get 8 ton of those things? many many.

Even allowing for exaggeration etc this is terrible.

I like to target kings under the trevs just inside cape reinga.

In the last month a trawler went in there and fished then off loaded 2 truckloads of trevs here in Mangonui as a result of the trip, I wonder how many superb kingfish died to get that low value catch that is so important to our big blue backyard?

I know this is all second hand and hearsay but if you don't believe the general situation I have some great waterfront property to sell you real cheap on the desert road.

And NO the snapper were not dumped by recs as Cbro said there are tough times up here for one thing unlike any season I have seen and remember the industry admits to 500 tons of waste in snapper one, the real figure would blow our socks off I'm sure.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2014 at 6:43am
Cbro View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by of2fsh of2fsh wrote:

Originally posted by Cbro Cbro wrote:

So you don't really know and have made an assumption that a trawler who was fishing further north has brought these into the bay to dump them ?

and you've made another assumption in thinking we aucklanders know more about your coast line than you do ?

This place is great for conspiracy theories

That statement was in reply to a comment that shortly after was deleted so I can understand your confusion.
I live in a fishing community, I know the people working the boats...I know which ones love this coast and also know the ones who couldn't give a ****. I talk to these people regularly and can confirm that I am only speculating from an what I've been told from the horses mouth, so to speak.
You should try having a beer with a trawlers crew and listen to the truth a little...it's very bad news for our fish.
This place is a great for nothing...well anything relayed to fishing anyway.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote A C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2014 at 8:20am
A C View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My comments were withdrawn because you turned it in to a pissing contest with comments such as the one regarding Auckland.

As my first comment said ' sad to see' and I don't want to wash down the problem as with wastage we most likely all feel the same way................. however, until the facts are determined much of the report is speculation and garbage, just like the rotting fish on the beach.

Take from that what you will, we all know there's a problem and some of us chose to pursue a different path to stop this. Speculation bullshoit and finger pointing won't help the cause one iota.
Aye-Aye cloth eyes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mowerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2014 at 8:38am
mowerman View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

well I would put both nadds on the chopping block and say this wastage is coming from commercial ..no snapper ebola or recs ditching fish.These snaps were caught in net and thrown back .
As AC said '' we all know there's a problem '' that is a very correct statement indeed ...

"'some of us chose to pursue a different path to stop this"' also true

Speculation bullshoit and finger pointing won't help the cause one iota.won't help the cause one iota..... well snapper just don't beach themselves ,Im dam sure we all know where they come from
call it "'Speculation bullshoit and finger pointing '' if you wish..I call it fish dumping by those that shouldn't be ,Its a crime which has to be stopped .

There are some very pissd off people out there who are sick and tired of repeats coming from mainly one sector that makes a living out of fishing

The People Protest

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2014 at 8:42am
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

when are you going to get it through your skull that it's not coming from "commercial"…it's coming from the bloody system that allows it….until you and you kind stop trying to take on the coal-face rather than the actual reasons for it, you are on a hiding to nothing and why you struggle to raise support for any of your so called "causes".

How they got there is completely irrelevant…why they got there is.

Comercial this, commercial that…..drop it already….the QMS is the issue!

Capiche?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2014 at 8:44am
Cbro View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I believe your post was more along the lines of "the fish are obvoiusly there an maybe fishermen not catching fish should get more practice"

I guess you need to read your first and last paragraph and think about how hypocritical you and most other posters here really are.

Page  123 4>