Alcohol Sponsorship

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 9:25am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Grunta Grunta wrote:

Hey Keith, what's the parallel here? How does the tobacco discussion fit with the title of this thread do you think?

Tobacco was , is not the 1st of the 'bad' things to get banned  but the format that it took is certainly a blue print as to applying to alcohol.
So the point is, question is, did restrictions on tobacco sponsorship actually have the effect it was supposed to, or is it simply a propaganda stage to kick banning alcohol sponsorship off?....
What was the main influences that dropped tobacco usage....cost, advertising, display, education, ... or sponsorship?
I do not believe sponsorship was a hugely contributing influence and therefore it should not be the case with Alcohol  add to that the unpublisised things like the  REAL effect it DID have on events etc quietly disappearing....and there is no reason to expect any different for banning alcohol sponsorship... which it will be the minor events that hit ... not the big race events but the smaller stuff like  ...... fishing tournaments...jnr sports events.
I do agree , there is an alcohol problem.. not just social behavour, crime, but also cost to the health budgets.... hit the social behavour issue... ie follow the advise of the front line guys... the police... and public referendums...both are about hrs, number liquor stores , availability.. and maybe advertising...
NOT sponsorship as the 1st hit...

The tobacco format experiment is very much the format it seems the alcohol format is going down.......Im sure the real lessons learnt from that could be applied far more effectively to the alcohol .. and the sponsorship need to be part of it...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 9:40am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I'm quite sure that the number of smokers in NZ has decreased since the 80's. It's been a widespread campaign, anti smoking advertising in the media, removal of sports sponsorship, a ban on advertising to the point where cigarettes can no longer be displayed when on sale, restrictions on where you can smoke and health warnings on cigarette packets.

With alcohol we going down the same path. Advertising restrictions, increased restrictions on where we can drink, reduced drink driving limits, inevitable bans on sports sponsorship and anti alcohol - or at least  messages against over indulgence (I always read those ads and follow that advice Big smile) -advertising in the media. I doubt we will ever see grotesque health warning pictures on alcohol bottles but there are plenty of parallels.

With our burgeoning alcohol related crime rate, it's inevitable we will continue to make excuses for the weak minded and put more and more restrictions on the more social aware among us.

Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 2:03pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

its only really been a problem since the age limit was lowered from 21 to 18year olds,

considering banning Cigs was to reduce lung cancer, it has not worked.
Despite a lower rate of smoking today, an extra 400 people also died of lung cancer in 2013, compared with 1990.
so what was the point?
Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 6:52pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm quite sure that the number of smokers in NZ has decreased since the 80's.
I dont know from when , but the official numbers was something like a 60% reduction.. something like now 23% of the population now.. as against way of 70....
One of the best things I ever done after 40 odd yrs heavy smoker...one day stop.

It is not just lung cancer.. lot ppl get it form lots stuff , not just tobacco... the health and addcition issues go way beyond that...

its only really been a problem since the age limit was lowered from 21 to 18year olds,

Alcohol was always a problem, always will be... but hey.. so are cars for cyclists.. car the problem.. ban them....its about the size of the problem and year when the age dropped below 21 thats when the problem became an issue... then add a off license on every street cnre.. then extend the off license hrs dramatically..; and we now have there serious isse now
So more than agree with you.
It really has to be one of those PC BS churned out PhD guys who doesnrt have the common sense to see  where what has caused a small problem....age etc.... to be big, and decides to fix stop sponsorship... That is so damn reduilious illogical it has to be nominated... and I mean this seriously.. to the Dawn awards

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 7:02pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

At the risk of pointing out the obvious alcohol companies, and before them cigarette companies, are not charities. They are big multinational multimillion dollar corporations, not known for doing anything for any other reason than increasing profits. So if they are sponsoring something then they are doing it because they know it will increase their sales or raise their profile in a certain market.

People will always drink, smoke, and take illegal drugs, etc. But perhaps we shouldn't be allowing these companies to encourage them though. I'm not suggesting banning alcohol, but maybe taking a closer look at advertising and sponsorship is sensible.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 9:06pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

like someone else said the outlets are so many you cant help but see them,
maybe restricting the amount of outlets and making sure none are aloud to be on road frontage plus kick them back out of the super markets could help reduce the consumption...  
Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 9:39pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Some interesting observations but isn’t the real issue our fundamental social attitudes and basic values?  I'm old enough to have seen a drastic decline in social values in NZ society over the last 5 decades and it would appear that the problem isn't limited to New Zealand. My parent’s generation seemed to enjoy a few drinks but there weren’t the issues we seem to have today.

My point is fiddling around with alcohol sponsorship isn't the tip of the iceberg or in fact isn't even remotely in the vicinity of the large floating chilly thing.

The social problems that stem from excessive drinking are more related to attitudes and values than they are to the alcohol itself or availability, and if the flabby bureaucrats believe that decreasing sponsorship and promotion will change our fundamental social attitudes, then they're dreaming.

From a straight health perspective comparing alcohol to smoking is a absolute mis-match. Either in excess will kill you but then so will an excess of many things. Any smoking is damaging and incrementally so. There's plenty of evidence that mild alcohol intake may have positive effects on our health such as raising HDL cholesterol (the good one) for instance. In terms of direct cost to health budgets a focus on general health might be time and money better spent. Obesity is far more of a health issue for example. Have a look at our stats on mortality and the big killers are not directly attributable to alcohol consumption that I can see. Is alcohol related crime > P & drug related crime? My pick is that drugs are a much bigger driver of crime than booze.

Restrictions on alcohol sponsorship are not going to do much at all. As Smudge points out the impact will more likely effect the resources at the local football or fishing club than stop crime or binge drinking/pre-loading unfortunately and all the anti-social outcomes that go with excessive consumption. But prohibition didn’t work either – ask the Americans.

I think it’s reasonable to predict that the downside of letting something like this go through would be far greater than any upside and our hard-earned tax-paid money should be spent on initiatives that will take this country forwards not backwards.

Looks like yet another WOFTAM folks.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 10:55pm
the angler View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

2014........ The year the world got boring.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2014 at 8:55am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think it’s reasonable to predict that the downside of letting something like this go through would be far greater than any upside and our hard-earned tax-paid money should be spent on initiatives that will take this country forwards not backwards.

Yep... 100%

The cause is lower age, outlets etc... and has been substantiated by the front line police for a long time now... and school boards, Principal... list goes on and on

It really has to be one of those PC BS churned out PhD guys who doesn't have the common sense to see  where what has caused a small problem....age etc.... to be big, and decides to fix stop sponsorship... That is so damn reduilious illogical it has to be nominated... and I mean this seriously.. to the Dawn awards

Sry could be wrong... If they start of sponsorship.. which will not work, they then go to the next least inefective thing, draw it out for a couple decades....thats salary asured till reirement with a nice nest egg and maybe a Queens Honour  thrown in.. these guys are not THAT stupid.. are they?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KikBac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2014 at 9:22am
KikBac View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Grunta hit the nail on the head! People drink/get drunk because they WANT to - the liquor companies do not sneak into our rooms at night and pour it down our necks whilst we are asleep. Just like Ronald McDonald doesn't sneak into our kids rooms and force cheeseburgers down their gullets making them fat!!! It is about people's attitudes and personal responsibility, not merely fiddling with the rules which is bound to be ineffective.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mangre 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2014 at 5:32pm
mangre 2 View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

If it creates jobs . What next i wonder jaffa throwing in theatres.
Beautiful is better than ugly, Explicit is better than implicit, Simple is better than complex, Complex is better than complicated.      http://oceanmobilemap.blogspot.co.nz/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2014 at 7:43pm
Titanium
Titanium

is that like dwarf throwing except useing aucklanders ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mangre 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2014 at 7:46pm
mangre 2 View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

No
Beautiful is better than ugly, Explicit is better than implicit, Simple is better than complex, Complex is better than complicated.      http://oceanmobilemap.blogspot.co.nz/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2014 at 8:34pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by the angler the angler wrote:

is that like dwarf throwing except useing aucklanders ?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 1Daz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2014 at 8:58pm
1Daz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If the government was serious about doing something about the countries drinking problem they would do something about the availability of cheap 8% codys/woodstocks and the like. Banning alcohol sponsorship would isolate NZ in a sporting sense so much it just wouldn't make sense and if they did it they would have to do it at all levels. Muppetry of the highest order imo.
Go the Warriors!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2014 at 5:08am
Titanium
Titanium

I miss the jim beam bonded 9% ers those little bad boys were party starters.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2014 at 8:26am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Here's a twist.mt maunganui cricket /rugby club is to do a trial of byo to try and boost attendance numbers
Page  <12