Heavy Jig Hardware - Three Kings trip

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote diesel4000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heavy Jig Hardware - Three Kings trip
    Posted: 16 Dec 2014 at 12:35am
diesel4000 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I am booked in on a Three Kings trip in 2015 and busy gearing up the tackle box with 300-500g jigs.

Have 2 jigging outfits to have a crack on the famous NZ Kings

Saltiga S Extreme 56 XHFS (PE 8-10) & Saltiga 6500
Wilson Venom PE 5-8 & Saltiga LD40
Both spooled with 80lb braid, 150lb leader
Feel free to comment on their suitability. 

My question is what brand and size hooks do you recommend on the jigs?  I have a stack of  Shout Kudako 5/0 hooks which I use on Kings in OZ (a big one is 15kg)  Do I need a bigger or stronger Hook?

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2014 at 1:01am
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My 2 cents worth having been there and Ranfurly......those sets look useful..150 is nice and preferably supple.......you could take some 200 pound leader as well.........get some 1.4 mm .....like suffix zippy.......you can still tie knots in it......I took some other stuff 200 to Ranfurly and it was 1.48 and was stiffer and not so easy to tie.......suffix 200 pound is excellent for tying uni knots.
Make sure you have some form of protection for your join knot to solid ring eg jigstar knot sleeve/plastic tubing or plastic thimble.
As for hooks(if you plan to make your own assist rigs)= I use a tuned gammie 35(prefer) for 300 gram jigs or Jm monster hook 11/0  and for 420 to 500g  i use a gammie tuned 40(prefer)) or a jigging master monster hook 13/0(easier to find and evil looking hook!))............Jigstar kevlar cord in either Medium or heavy has never let me down.....make your assists fairly short......def no longer than hanging one third of the jig......i prefer more a quarter of the way down the jig(when holding vertically....if you know what i mean.
If you prefer buying complete assist rigs....I took some of those assist rigs from shout kudako to Ranfurly(cord is white)......they looked pretty mean and were short too.......6/0 and 7/0 would cover you......the 5/0 would be a bit small i reckon....although you could use on the 300's i guess.....attach to a 9 or 10mm decoy split ring and you would be sweet........everything needs to be strong for kings up there......make sure braid is packed on tight(at a shop is best)....PR knot tied properly......if you get queezy ...take provisions for over night travel to the kings......its a fair hike out there....who you going with?.............Good luckWink
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2014 at 6:34am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

I only use Shout Kudako 7/0  hooks
Saltiga 6500will handle the big kings ok and LD40 would be good light reel setup.
Have funThumbs Up amazing place, been there twice myself
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2014 at 8:01am
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sounds like you only need hooks. Never been to the Kings but know guys who have & they always take spare spools of appropriate braid in case you get smoked. Good luck!
Tight lines
PE Pete
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2014 at 8:04am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Good thinking Pete( i always take  a spare spool of braid, just in case Thumbs Up no shops up there)
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote diesel4000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2014 at 8:50am
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks guys.  Glad to hear i am on the right track.  Been on a few week long live a boards trip.  Yes you need to take plenty of gear.  Sometimes you bring most of it back and other trips it goes in.  Just need to be prepared.     

I have never been so excited before a trip as this one.  I am going on Enchanter.  The vids on you tube are just awesome.  It is a genuine "trip of life time".  I have caught plenty of kings before (PB 12kg) but to see lots of fish over 30kg that keeps me up at night! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Graemep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2014 at 9:56am
Graemep View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

went to three kings for the first time in May this year. Took a saltiga 6500 expedition, a stella 8000 SWPG and a JM PE8 all spooled with PE8 braid. Took a few jig rods, the heaviest being a 500gram Van Staal and a 400 gram Smiths.

All fine for the kingies although I never got over 25kg but in our last day 4 of us jigged over 100 kings between us off Cape Reinga and nothing failed.

The bass are a different story, hooked something that had the 500 gram van stall bent double only for the PE8 braid to snap midway down the braid at a point that had probably never been off the spool before. Skipper wasn't happy as it means the fish is as good as dead given the weight it would be dragging around. He slated the PE8 for that type of fishing and said needs to be minimum PE10.

The guys on our trip had a lot of serious gear including stella 20,000's etc. and we ended up ditching them to use the old penn senator reels with really thick braid (120lb from memory) that the boat had.

One of the bass came up at 65Kg and we had another few over 40Kg, although the smaller ones were taken on a saltiga and PE8 I think.

Jig wise we had pretty wild weather with heaps of current and we couldn't go anything below a 500gram jig the whole trip as it wasn't getting down to the fish before it was half a mile out the back of the boat. One of the guys was jigging with an 800gram - which is bloody tiring in 130m with the fish at 110m!

Bottom line is you should be sorted for the kingies gear wise but pack a few heavier jigs, make sure you have at least 1 very grunty rod and if you plan to hunt some bass, which you probably will, try and get your hands on gear that is a step up from what you have listed in terms of braid strength. The reels would be fine drag wise, but just capacity and heavier braid needed if you find the big bottom dwellers. Some people say the bass don't fight but for the first 30-40m they hit like a freight train and it's hold on for dear life! nothing worse than losing the fish of a life time because you are under-gunned, which I can testify to!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rob Optimist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2014 at 10:28am
Rob Optimist View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Take a couple of Zest 800 gram "man jigs"
They are great for deep water and when current/ drift a problem. You won't use them for long but they sure get down quick. Have had some good success with them at Kings/Ranfurly.
Don't pay any attention when your mates laugh at you.
Yozuri flurocarbon in 130/150/180 a good leader for up there.
Enjoy the trip, amazing up there, your PB about to get smashed.
               "attitude is everything"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote home bouy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2014 at 10:38am
home bouy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

hit up kingyslayer mate for some of the oshi hooks mate i used them on the weekend and were tops
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote diesel4000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2014 at 11:24pm
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks again guys.  

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote diesel4000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2014 at 8:38pm
Bronze
Bronze

An other question, how many jigs would you take for a 4 day trip?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2014 at 9:32pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by diesel4000 diesel4000 wrote:

An other question, how many jigs would you take for a 4 day trip?

i only lost one in both trips but still took 20kgsLOL if your knots and terminal gear are setup right, you dont actually lose many jigs.
Mainly more weight varieties depending on current and depth you are jigging.

Lance on Enchanter is the manWink did my first trip up there with him

www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alan syme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2014 at 9:44am
alan syme View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Good advice from others here, most has already been said.

I agree, take some 800g jigs, gets to the bottom fast on the currents, and also means that you get to drop first to the fish before the others!! Usually you are only jigging the bottom 20m in the deep with 800g jigs so it is not too bad.

On my last trip on Enchanter, everyone hooked massive fish, but only one guy landed every big one that he hooked. He was from Sweden and used PE 10/12 gear and he landed two Kingfish over 40 kgs. I felt under gunned with 80lb braid on a few occasions.

Go heavy; hooks, terminals,leader and braid in my opinion. Take at least one elephant set, then one or a couple of lighter sets also I think. Really handy to have mutliple sets to use when it is a hot bite and you get tangles, bust offs etc. Put one rod in the rack and grab the next one instead of retying knots etc.

You will have a great trip.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote diesel4000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 9:36am
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks Alan for your tips. I am going to change to 100lb for my 6500 Saltiga setup and run 200lb leader. I should get 300-350 m on the spool. I have ordered hooks, 7/0 Shout Kudako. I will tie my own cord.

What are your thoughts on using 2 assit hooks on a jig? I have been trialling this at home on smaller Kings and have found a much better landing rate. I hardly ever drop a fish once it is hooked.

Thanks guys for your valuable experience. I really can't wait for this trip.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 9:42am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Definately no need for double hooks mate, those 7/0 kudako hooks are lethal, one per jig
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Graemep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 1:49pm
Graemep View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

It's largely catch and release on kingfish on these trips so one hook is plenty
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2014 at 2:40am
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Two could well make it difficult to unhook and potentially dangerous as well.......veer towards shorter assists for postive hook ups.......long assist could result in facial hook ups with fish being lost early to mid fight as a result........watch your weight allowance with your jigs too.
As mentioned a spare spool of braid....I took two......one for each rig(PE6 and PE 8) ....as back up......
         A buff is handy as well/gloves or you will get torched by the NZ sun.
The shout kudako 7/0 will be good for 400 plus jigs........you will need smaller for your 300 grammers.
In the 400+ jigs you will be better off with tail weighted jigs to get down quickly.......you can use your 300 grams in shallower water and can use centre weighted like zest hardy long.....they flutter and stay in the strike zone longer and are a very very long jig for 300 grams!....gammie tuned 35 would be my pick for hook on that jig....What about squid squirts? Do you plan on using those or not?.....Good luck.
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2014 at 6:15am
Cbro View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Personally I don't see the point of running anything heavier than pe8.
Ive only ever used pe6.5 on my heavy set with no lost fish due to line breaking...If your reel only pushes 20kg drag how does a line heaven than this help? To me your sacrificing line capacity, creating more water drag for what?   I can understand going heavy on the leader for bass, but would still personally only use 120lb. Just run a good length of it. 6m
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2014 at 6:36am
Cbro View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You may loose braido from rays bream. Little ****'s sometimes school mid water and attack anything.
Use squid skirts too as you may want to dangle your jig in front of a school of King terihike of the Kings or bass haven't hit it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote daveo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2014 at 9:44am
daveo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

100 gram rod. Pe3 and 50lb line Thumbs Up

that should do it
Page  12>