First rod build

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First rod build
    Posted: 08 Dec 2014 at 8:36pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

What started as a project to put a fighting but on an old second hand rod became a complete rebuild. A loose reel seat was replaced, then the grip wasn't right so off it came along with the guides.
Now completed, a full Wells grip, SW friendly guides and wrapped with vintage Gudebrod blue thread in A size.
Wrapping jig, thread tensioner and a dryer from old scrap wood and a rotisserie motor.
It was to be a second rod to the Redington, one I could use without worrying about dings and scratches, but.......it (almost) looks too good.
Lessons learned?
Get the tension right when wrapping, avoid dust. ( one edge almost unwrapped when applying epoxy)
Get some decent brushes for applying the epoxy finish to the wraps so you get a clean transition edge from threads to blank, and avoid dust.
Wait for the finish to cure, particularly if it is humid, oh, and did I mention avoiding dust?

Anyway, a rather plain old Ryobi 9wt is now reborn as a subtly finished SWF rod, ready to go.
Next? A half decent blank, maybe a slow pitch jig rod for softbaits, if I can get a good blank.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 470NE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2014 at 9:27pm
470NE View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Good job!
any pics?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2014 at 10:51pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hook keeper and grip setup.
it is hard to get a decent picture of a rod. However, closer inspection of the wraps on the hook keeper reveals a bit of thread texture showing through the epoxy. There were a few other little bumps, either bubbles, dust, or stray thread. Overall though I am quite pleased. Unfortunately whilst it was to be a be a bash about on the rocks rod, the time invested in building it makes me less keen to mistreat it.
However, rods are meant to be used. Looking to try a land based mission over Christmas from Tapueatahi, then a boat trip in the Bay as well.
It was an old Ryobi 9wt, now redone with a half decent reel seat and salt water guides.Slow action, reminds me of my Dads old bamboo rods. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2014 at 10:56pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

rod grip\
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2014 at 11:26pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Gah! I give up, trying to post from an Imac