stalking a feed

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: stalking a feed
    Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 8:31pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

been hitting the workups pretty hard out in the deep,not so much sick of the fishing but theres alot of casulties in the ice chest each trip and i hate filletting....

so back in close to kawau for a wee flick of a few s/b and micro jigs.
the 1st few trips were a disaster,fish on the tv but nothing on the hook,a few little beggers, and maybe 1 good fish  but nothing to get the heart racing.
real frustrating as i know theres fish there as a long linner had a fish on every hook.
then i started getting a fish here and there with baits left lying on the sand or dragged Confused
a micro jig left lying on the sand was getting fish up to 4 kgs ,crazy....
what motivates a fish to eat a dead in the water piece of steel,and how does it get the hook in its mouth.
these are what ive been using .(braid sailfin  jigs)
smallest 14 grams next one 24 grams.(yet to try larger models)
been getting these down into 20 mtrs of water with .6 to 1 knt of drift.
the new spiderwire sinking braid has alot to do with it,this stuff with a 24 gram jig has a sink rate faster than 2 pd microfuse with a 1/2 ounce jig head

20pd is my favourite with a 2 to  3 mtr 15 pd leader,not after a gentle drop want these things down as quick as possible to get a good line angle then start slow jigging them back to the boat .

so ended up dragging a jig till it was up high behind boat and dragging an extremly bright orange tiger belly strip and catching fish,good fish as well.
put 2 and 2 together and worked out the fish were bitting the baits as it went thru the school.
see sign on the sounder and moments later catch a fish .

catching fish and a few good ones now.
still not happy,pretty patchy.
mark the bigger hay stacks of snapper on the gps,move 80 mtrs ahead and cast a s/b to where i think is the spot.
whack fish on the drop.

awesome got it sorted,yeah nah havent really.
spent ages drifting the good sign, marking fish, casting everything at them,big ,small and most coloured s/bs and micro jigs.

waited out the tide,moved around a bit till about 5.30pm then back to it,hit the sign and it was all on.
good size fish hitting baits real hard on the drop.
but if they didnt hook up on the drop you may as well just retrieve the bait and cast again.
lasted 2 hours like this  then shut off completly.
done a few trips there this week and have the tides etc sorted so its become alot more fun.
fish mainly on the drop still,very few from working baits back to the boat in the usual manner.
funny place and even funnier fish,from the sign on the sounder,water temp,males shooting white stuff all over my boat and females with love bites its obvious these are spawning fish.
so in my opinion there not hungry,there bitting baits out of instinct or anger.
the colour shape and size matters little to these fish.

orange tiger belly strip bait,no idea why i brought these but there working.

so while im happy as a hooker at a roadworkers piss up im not happy at all to share the resouce with these knob jockeys.

im drifting around doing my thing and these guys are pulling there line,they approach my bow and i ask them
"you want me to shift"
answer
"we own the ocean"
me
"umm yeah am i moving or not"
answer
"we own the ocean"
me
"not at $1.30 per kg you ****ing dont"
answer
"we kill them all big males and females"
answer
"me to so piss off"

trying there hardest to get me to bite,right arrogant pack of ****ers.
they were slaughtering the snapper as well,in 18 mtrs of water wrapped right around my spot..
they had a fish on every hook,big and small.
to there credit they did release a few small ones,they had gloves on and the fish were out of the water less than a minute.
All in all tho very average to be there catching spawning fish.
they set 2 times, hundreds of hooks.
last night the "san kawhia" was anchored very close to the area,so a totall os 3 longlinners in the whangaparoa bay......gutted

hope  some of my experiences help a few to catch a feed,feel free to pm me if you want to know where im fishing,depth time etc

2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 8:49pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Interesting Wayne, how do you know the sink rates? be very interested to know how this new braid gets down so fast
Nice fish btwThumbs Up
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 9:01pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by kaveman kaveman wrote:

Interesting Wayne, how do you know the sink rates? be very interested to know how this new braid gets down so fast
Nice fish btwThumbs Up

not to scientific but on a trip out to the 50 Mtr zone the sinking braid consistently got down to the fish quicker,as I say not to scientific but to cast 2 rigs out together and the one that's way lighter hooks up 1 st consistently is what I've based this on,can't do,a pool test as micro fuse floats
And it's easy the best sounding braid racing thru the guides
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 9:11pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Thanks for the update Wayne. some good food for thought there and that spiderwire sinking braid is worth a look for that light stuff. Thanked for sharing!!
Online...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 9:12pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

LOL, lightest and thinnest braid with minimal weight will always sink faster ( pure physics) "thin" being the operative word
I cant see how any braid can be able to sink faster unless either it it is pulled down by something heavy or is thinner so it penetrates the water better,

Marketing ploy me thinksLOL
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 9:36pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

I understand the sinking properties are related to the density of the weave and importantly, the incorporation of fluorocarbon Kevin. Standard braids float to some extent.
Online...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 9:41pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

something ive understood for quite some times is when to fish out behind the boat, lets see if this is the conditions you encountered this time Wayne,
first its a slow drift second the current is in the same direction,
what happens is the line is hled up but the jig stays down being heavier,
if the opposite is happening current against tide the jig tends to stay put and line follows boat thus you lose contact or worst scenario you hook the bottom up...

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 9:49pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by Grunta Grunta wrote:

I understand the sinking properties are related to the density of the weave and importantly, the incorporation of fluorocarbon Kevin. Standard braids float to some extent.

Very interesting, so now we have braid that is infused with flurocarbon that sinks quickConfused got me confused, must be thicker if mixture of mono/braid so very hard to see how it has extra fast "sinking'
potential.
Love to know how the scientists got that to workBig smile

anyone know the denier of the braid used?

www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 10:01pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

[QUOTE=kaveman] LOL, lightest and thinnest braid with minimal weight will always sink faster ( pure physics) "thin" being the operative word
I cant see how any braid can be able to sink faster unless either it it is pulled down by something heavy or is thinner so it penetrates the water better,

Marketing ploy me thinksLOL
[/QUOTE

No ,if it floats it won't sink at all regardless of diameter.
That's simple physics,micro fuse floats does it not ?
Micro fuse has been designed to slow sink rates to present a bait in as natural a free falling state as possible.
Sinking braid by design is opposite,regardless of diameter it will,sink faster than a floating braid

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 10:08pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Lethal Lethal wrote:

something ive understood for quite some times is when to fish out behind the boat, lets see if this is the conditions you encountered this time Wayne,
first its a slow drift second the current is in the same direction,
what happens is the line is hled up but the jig stays down being heavier,
if the opposite is happening current against tide the jig tends to stay put and line follows boat thus you lose contact or worst scenario you hook the bottom up...

In one case Eric it was wind against tide,so casting ahead and pretty much the current is bringing the bait back towards the boat from the moment it hits the water,some times a big belly of line which in theory should hold or suspend the bait longer in the strike zone but not give you the ability to retrieve and cover any distance on the bottom .
Does that make science ?

Last night " cod " was stray lining baits back to the fish ,was wind with tide and a fast drift
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 10:59pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

i just re read what i said there and its back to front sorry,
like you said current opposite direction from wind will hold the line up and allow you to fish further back behind the boat... yep correct..
yeah current with boat is ok but once past center the line is dragged forward making the lure bounce along the bottom or getting snagged...

Justin fishing thought he must have given it away, he has gone very quite lately,
i suspect fatherhood has got him tied down now, but it was time he settled down... 

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 11:03pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Lethal Lethal wrote:

i just re read what i said there and its back to front sorry,
like you said current opposite direction from wind will hold the line up and allow you to fish further back behind the boat... yep correct..
yeah current with boat is ok but once past center the line is dragged forward making the lure bounce along the bottom or getting snagged...

Justin fishing thought he must have given it away, he has gone very quite lately,
i suspect fatherhood has got him tied down now, but it was time he settled down... 

Had him out a few times,always good to take him out no shortage of lures and baits
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deepblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 9:10pm
deepblue View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

this demos the feature..

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 9:48pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Wayne, are you using the fluoro-braid on a fixed spool reel or overhead?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2014 at 6:51am
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Uncle Uncle wrote:

Spinning reels all the way uncle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2014 at 6:57am
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by deepblue deepblue wrote:

this demos the feature..

Thanks deep blue,still won't be enough for some to believe it's not a conspiracy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2014 at 9:26am
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by of2fsh of2fsh wrote:

Thought soLOL
I got some but loaded it on anoverhead ( yet to try it)
Think I'd feel a bit behind the 8ball not being able to see the olive green line.
I've always thought high viz line was an advantage for softbaiting~~what say you ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2014 at 10:57am
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by of2fsh of2fsh wrote:

Thought soLOL
I got some but loaded it on anoverhead ( yet to try it)
Think I'd feel a bit behind the 8ball not being able to see the olive green line.
I've always thought high viz line was an advantage for softbaiting~~what say you ?

Yes it can be vital, where you may only get 1 shot at a fish and watching the braid for movement is your 1 st indication of a strike It's important you can see what's going on.
Micro fuse while not the best to see on bright days has been my go to for ages ,Has a purple hue to it when wet which suits the late evening fishing I prefer.
The spider wire sinking braid when viewed thru polarised glasses shows up well.
What weight did you get ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishing Addiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2014 at 11:17am
Fishing Addiction View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Smashing it out there. How much difference does the smaller jigs make. Like is it better to go 28g with sinking braid vs 35g with standard braid in terms of a higher strike rate or would there not be a huge difference
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2014 at 11:24am
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

20lb.
I wear polarised prescription glasses so will see how they go.

Edited:
Page  12>