1k speed tolerance

Page  <1234>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 4:43pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Although this is all moot...seeing as they have already announced it is not going to happen.
They only brought this up, obviously, so they can make the 4k tolerance currently only in high risk tines, permanent.
It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wayno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 5:31pm
wayno View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Until something is done to address the arrogant attitudes of drivers then the "powers that be" will continue to attempt the reigning-in of all motorists.

I am on the road a bit these days, averaging around 1000km a week on some pretty tricky roads in the Eastern BOP. Every day I experience the same behaviour from different vehicles ie. tailgating me until the road is "just about" clear enough for the follower to pass, then maintain exactly the same speed I have been doing... What's the point except for the arrogance of refusing to be behind another vehicle?

When I maintain a safe following distance, drivers behind seem to consider that  the space I have left between me and the vehicle in front "their" spot and make every effort to advance the 100-odd meters to then sit behind the car in front until they eventually reach the position described above...

Speed limits are just that, limits. If one chooses to drive above that then the chances of being ticketed are of course high.

I often tow a trailer on the open road, either a box trailer or boat and without exception have been passed on every journey by at least 1 other towing vehicle while I have been maintaining 90kmh. Followed a "train" of 3 trailer towing vehicles just last week (I wasn't towing that day), 2 box and 1 boat, who were all traveling above 100kmh as the distance between my car and them was increasing and I was doing 100 by my speedo - not confirmed to be 100% accurate by calibration but matches the gps readout.

Whatever has happened to the 90kmh limit for towing vehicles? Again attitudes need adjustment, both by the drivers towing and other drivers to know that a) a different speed limit applies, and b) courtesy needs to be shown by all, towing drivers to make way for following vehicles at every opportunity - sure slower speeds and pulling over occasionally will extend travel times, get over it and plan accordingly - and following drivers to be patient and wait for suitable passing opportunities rather than force past at every chance.

Personally, I can see that different speed limits can and does cause problems on the roads, but until that can be/is addressed it's something we all have to live with and learn how to manage.
Perhaps this is an example of where a changing limits at passing lanes could be beneficial? Enforce towing drivers to slow to 80 and allow others to pass at up to 120? Food for thought?

Somebody mentioned above a 95kmh limit with 5kmh tolerance... whatever the limit is there will always be the arrogant (that word again...) drivers who over-estimate their own ability and consider that limits only apply to others, or when they see a camera or police vehicle.

Proper trip planning and allowing enough time is the key to safe and relaxed motoring, that and expecting to encounter arrogant idiots and being prepared for that!
I have lost count of the number of people who estimate it takes "under an hour" to drive from Whakatane to Rotorua... (Actually heard a petrol station attendant advise an out of town motorist that it would take "about 3/4's of an hour!"). In my experience that particular trip is around 1hr 10-15mins each way, slightly longer in winter when the roads are wet/icy. And yes, I do maintain the posted limit where possible, although anyone would be totally deficient in brainpower to attempt that through the winding road locally known as "The Rotomas" posted limit drops to 70 & 80 at Lake Rotoma and Lake Rotoiti but is 100 through the hills (full of 35 & 45kmh hairpin corners) which is lunacy imho!

Anyway... Saturday afternoon rant over... time to flick the mysky box on to watch some fishing programs LOL

To be old and wise you must first be young and stupid.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote KikBac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 5:37pm
KikBac View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

.Take highway 2,Bombay to Thames turn off,from Bombay it is 90kph.

Nothing wrong with the road - it is the d1ckheads that drive on it that cause all the carnage
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 6:23pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by KikBac KikBac wrote:

Nothing wrong with the road - it is the d1ckheads that drive it that cause all the carnage
exactly,should leave it 100km,why have passing lane at 90?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 6:35pm
Titanium
Titanium

totally agree there, make the passing lanes 100kph so people can legally pass the damn trucks. On the nice flat bits trucks do 90 no worries, but once you get to the windy bits either end, they are down to 80 and less again. It is an exercise in pure frustration.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 8:32pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Capt Asparagus Capt Asparagus wrote:

totally agree there, make the passing lanes 100kph so people can legally pass the damn trucks. On the nice flat bits trucks do 90 no worries, but once you get to the windy bits either end, they are down to 80 and less again. It is an exercise in pure frustration.
yep and most trucks will move on to shoulder,if there is a cop around can face $150 fine for driving on shoulder,depends on cops attitude.Particularly in no passing areas,they say your enticing traffic to pass in a unsafe manner,got one about 2 year ago highway 27.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 9:03pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

i gave up repping due to idiots on the road, after driving off the road twice in a matter of 2 hrs from halfwits passing someone on a hill, i had to take action to such an extent that leaving the road or have a head on, in both instances the idiots could not see far enough ahead to make the maneuver safely,
i say slow down and enjoy the drive, forget the the time it will take you to get there,
later in life you will realize its not worth it...
slow down and be responsible life is way to short to risk making up time, its better to get there in one peace,
when your in a body bag you will make up nothing and turn all your love ones into a grieving mess all for a few minutes...

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 10:14pm
Titanium
Titanium

I wasn't criticising the truckies, or boat towing cars or any 90kph mandated vehicles, I am criticising the stupid rule that on a double lane you are unable to pass them while you have the chance. It is nuts.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 10:33pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

cops need to allow extra 10 to 15k for a safe overtake manuvor,I just pointed out another silly rule
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote miktaras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2014 at 6:42am
miktaras View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Grandad got around on his horse at about 5kmh, so I am quite happy with my target speed of 90 kmh. Saves on gas and gives a lot more time to react to dangers.
Im pretty lucky though compared to other drivers. By the way they drive a lot of them need to get somewhere yesterday.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corosanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2014 at 7:31am
corosanta View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I used to float around the place at a more or less constant 110k. Then I sort woke up up, cut back on a few excesses, used my feet a bit more and drank heaps of water.

Now I float around the area at about 93kg.

Coincidence or not? or should all vehicles use more water?
Sitndrinkntalknbullman
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2014 at 8:06am
Cbro View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ban motor homes an tourists from using our roads. Passing lanes need a higher speed tolerance.   Every time somebody sits on 85, brakes on around every corner then speeds up to 100+ on a passing lane...drivers like this are a huge problem an cause frustration whick leads other motorists to make bad choices such as risking a overtake with not enough room to do so.
or if your like me I brake the 3 sec rule an ride up there are till they get the message beeping and cursing..bad yes asking for a crash yes...get the message across...prob not but I feel better.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2014 at 10:24am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by KikBac KikBac wrote:

Nothing wrong with the road - it is the d1ckheads that drive it that cause all the carnage
exactly,should leave it 100km,why have passing lane at 90?

I think the reasoning behind that is because the large number of heavy/ towing vehicles that are limited to 90km....and much of the road, except the new sections are not suitable for passing.
With the number of 'limited speed' vehicles it is very unlikely one can trave al above 90 km anyway.
So to stop the idiots passing legally (sorta) and killing others... which is what this road is notorious for... they made it 90 which then not only gets the idiots passing stupid , but speed infringement also

Yes I can see the logic behind the limit... same down the other notorious area around Huntly Tuipiri areas

And think about it.. why get into the ppl who restricted these areas....its restricted because of idiots out to kill my family...THATS where the finger should be pointed... a minority screwing the majority ... again.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wanda_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2014 at 4:47pm
Wanda_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Main drag through Cambridge last Tuesday there were SIX cops leaning against their cars waving people over who where going over 54Kph.About 20 metres from the only speed camera for miles around.

Fricken joke since once it comes to night time there is only one cop on callout for the whole area from edge of Hamilton-morrinsville-Matamata-Tirau -TA.

Even bigger joke is they are going to raise the speed limit to 110Kph some in some areas.

Its not the speed unless you are doing 150kph, its the shoddy,aggressive careless,dangerous driving that's causing the crashes.Anyone who drives a motorcycle will know what im talking about when I say aggressive etc.

Anyone else get a huge laugh out of the "speed restricted" trucks who pass you when you are at 120 like you are doing 70 ? Prolly the same ones who carry 2 logbooks.

If you think you are too small to make a difference,try sleeping with a mosquito in your tent.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Olfart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2014 at 6:55pm
Olfart View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just got back from a trip to Whangarei (from Manurewa) and back again in the wife's car (1500cc Nissan Tiida) having departed from home at midday.....  We went because we felt like it, but there was an ulterior motive which I may tell the class about at some later stage...Wink
Anyways.... I decided to see if I could keep within the set speed limits all the way there and back - man that was not easy, especially when the car wanted to cruise at it's sweet spot of 110kph, but for the 413km round trip I managed it (for the most part) and have to say I am utterly shagged.... should sleep like a baby tonight....LOL
The point is it can be done but it does take a power of concentration.
Semper in excreta sumus, solum profundum variat....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corosanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2014 at 7:01pm
corosanta View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Love my adjustable cruise control.

Move over, stick to the limits, or just bugger off.
Sitndrinkntalknbullman
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2014 at 7:02pm
the demon View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Olfart Olfart wrote:

Just got back from a trip to Whangarei (from Manurewa) and back again in the wife's car having departed from home at midday.....  We went because we felt like it, but there was an ulterior motive which I may tell the class about at some later stage...Wink
Anyways.... I decided to see if I could keep within the set speed limits all the way there and back - man that was not easy, but for the 413km round trip I managed it (for the most part) and I am utterly shagged.... should sleep like a baby tonight....LOL

Well put Clap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote :Hunter: Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2014 at 7:03pm
:Hunter: View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Not sure what everyone is complaining about, the limit is still the same as its always been. If you choose to drive over the limit then just be prepared to pay
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2014 at 7:11pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by the demon the demon wrote:

Originally posted by Olfart Olfart wrote:

Just got back from a trip to Whangarei (from Manurewa) and back again in the wife's car having departed from home at midday.....  We went because we felt like it, but there was an ulterior motive which I may tell the class about at some later stage...Wink
Anyways.... I decided to see if I could keep within the set speed limits all the way there and back - man that was not easy, but for the 413km round trip I managed it (for the most part) and I am utterly shagged.... should sleep like a baby tonight....LOL

Well put Clap

Download the Tower Insurance app & see how you go.
Remembering that  100kph only applies from the sign on ( & NOT before) is a bit of a task, as is the 50kph coming from the open road.
Who's game to try it?
Wink

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/money/9945793/Towers-track-and-reward-driver-app

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mangre 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2014 at 7:22pm
mangre 2 View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Wayno, If you see an old  Blue hilux parked at the s/bends at the rotomas it will be me hunting pigs.

Don't get annoyed if I only drive 40kms through there, as I have my dog sniffing out the window.

Beautiful is better than ugly, Explicit is better than implicit, Simple is better than complex, Complex is better than complicated.      http://oceanmobilemap.blogspot.co.nz/
Page  <1234>