1k speed tolerance

Page  <1234>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corosanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 8:41am
corosanta View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

All this seems to link in with a society that we have that is completely governed by computerisation and as such,  machine, computer and now man, can only see right or wrong, black or white.

Either you under the speed limited or you are deemed to be over it and therefore will face condemnation and a fine. There is no longer a place for senisble human interface where logic and human error are taken into account.

Bit like those 5 cent cheques we used to get from IRD.

Sitndrinkntalknbullman
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corosanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 8:43am
corosanta View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Besides, I was looking forward to those policemen helping me across the street LETHAL>
Sitndrinkntalknbullman
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 8:55am
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

For the tin-foil hat club......how long until the cops do random pullovers for speeding, like they do now to check for booze or rego etc, and download data off your gps to see if you have at any time exceeded the speed limit, and issue tickets directly off the data they get, no appeal, no explanation, one ticket per event, three tickets, loss of licence.
Now that is both technically possible, and scarey!
It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 9:14am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

almost impossible not top creep up 1k over the limit. So now we will have drivers spending more time looking at their speed than looking at the road . Can see where that will end.

If they really are that concerned they should drop limit to 95 k with 5 k tolerance.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Olfart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 9:35am
Olfart View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That sort of thinking is too hard for the powers-that-be, John.  Far easier to come up with a scheme to enhance the coffers rather than deal with a perceived problem by any other means.  Nek Minnit they will be ticketing drivers for being too slow and holding up traffic.
I'm still smarting about my recent ticket which, by the way, was "allegedly incurred" on a steepish slope on a straight piece of road where you would have to ride the brakes to avoid going over the limit.  I think I will bill the Police for my next set of brake pads because they will be wearing out much faster now.....
Semper in excreta sumus, solum profundum variat....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 9:46am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You are right Grant. Thinking out a proper solution would be too hard for them. Lots more people riding brakes. Lots more brake lining dust in the air. Do they still use asbestos in brake linings. If so not good from a health point of view.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corosanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 10:08am
corosanta View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Of course they could always raise the limit to 105 which would cater to those of us who always seem to sit at the 4km tolerance mark. But then we'd all just go along at 109 if it weren't for those damn bells ringing inside the dash.
Sitndrinkntalknbullman
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 12:17pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

At the end of the day a limit is a limit. I am sure none of you would agree it is OK to keep a 29cm Snapper just because it is close enough?

There is no variables in measuring a fish... tyre wear, hills, abity of a cruise control to change speed fast enough over a hill.. cars without cruise control, hills

In saying that I also agree with those who are the  do the crime do the time basis....so if u are travelling at close to the limit u know u are taking a risk....considering the variables

And just to throw another curly in..
When we converted from miles to kms.. we are one of the few , if the only country that has rounded up...
60 mph is 96km  ..we rounded up to 100 km/hr.

And there was another post disputing if a wof required accurate speedometer.. re read, basically accurate
Speedometer means an instrument in a motor vehicle that continuously indicates to the driver the forward speed of the vehicle in either kilometres per hour (km/h) or miles per hour (mph).This definition does not include the speed provided by a GPS system.

And IF wondering why not a GPS....it is because
1/ gps unit update in periods.. and many these periods are often too far apart for accurate speeds
2/ Also can depend on the number of satellite sources... cloud cover buildings etc, effect accuracy
3/ Many gps dont read accurate going up or down hills... the diagonal distance varies over a given horizontal distance
 (modern Boat gps generally are not effected by any of the above.. when out on the water)

In saying that , and because the limit is 100km  and because of the trend for modern vechles to have larger diam wheels, which results in FAR GREATER variances in the circumference, and therefore speed variance.... the 1km is un reasonable... the 4km is.. just.

And I suggest this is because the calculations have been done by some young snotty nosed , lack of common-sense PhD desk jockey measuring only his tiny 12" diam cube car wheels

Oh and to add another curly, from memory, sometime time in the last 3 months an article in the Radiator mag (the trades MTA mag) think it was  in the column of upcoming law changes discussions/ LTSA notices etc , there is a proposal to increase the speed of many selected roads from 50 thru to 100km areas.

So yeah.. do the crime do the time....
But those making the rules should also consider the actual real life common-sense practicability of and policies etc.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 12:18pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Or raise the open road speed, and double passing lanes, to 110, reduce hill and winding roads...such as the coromandel roads, the brynderyns etc to 80k.
Make the 110 limit a 1kph tolerance, make the 80kph limit with a 10kph tolerance.
It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 1:06pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The police claim the 4km tolerance works and say under 25s are the main offenders speed/accidents.
So lets have a strict 5km tolerance for all areas
Under 25 and get picked up for speeding/drinking instant lost of licence and those over 25 normal fines apply.
As a forum member stated on another thread,towing their boating overtaking at 110km?should  of if caught get instant lost of licence,may think it was safe.but you never know when one is to get blow out,possible death for those in car.
unfortunately the stupidity on our roads never seems to amaze me.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Falco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 1:23pm
Falco View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I don't see much having changed to be honest, I think of more concern is that Lethal is listening to Flava FM

Cant please everyone, I have had an "over 25" complain about a 50km zone past a school...sorry sir you've gone past three posted speed limit signs, I'm sure the girl that got killed by a logging truck doing the old 70km limit would not have wanted to inconvenience you on your way to your Sunday scone and tea.

as dead as dead is
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 1:40pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by cirrus cirrus wrote:

almost impossible not top creep up 1k over the limit. So now we will have drivers spending more time looking at their speed than looking at the road . Can see where that will end.

If they really are that concerned they should drop limit to 95 k with 5 k tolerance.

No. Raise it to 125kmp with no tolerance.
Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 1:49pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

The police claim the 4km tolerance works and say under 25s are the main offenders speed/accidents.
So lets have a strict 5km tolerance for all areas
Under 25 and get picked up for speeding/drinking instant lost of licence and those over 25 normal fines apply.
As a forum member stated on another thread,towing their boating overtaking at 110km?should  of if caught get instant lost of licence,may think it was safe.but you never know when one is to get blow out,possible death for those in car.
unfortunately the stupidity on our roads never seems to amaze me.

I am sorry. You can not live your life with a "what if" attitude. You would never get out of bed. What if you tripped on a slipper, cat, bed sheet. What if the house, car, boat caught fire. What if on the way to work you hit a cyclist, power pole, car, truck, bus.
If fait is against you can die from a sneeze, a bouncer or a fall while walking.
You can still die if you have a blow out at 50kmp if circumstances are not in your favour.
You can not and must not live life thinking what if. If man had done that we would still be living in a cave.
Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 1:57pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

And I suggest this is because the calculations have been done by some young snotty nosed , lack of common-sense PhD desk jockey measuring only his tiny 12" diam cube car wheels

But those making the rules should also consider the actual real life common-sense practicability of and policies etc.

I have a couple of issues with your reasoning Steps....

So young people don't have 'common sense' but us relics always do just because we were around in the 60's and 70's when the road toll was three times as bad with a quarter of the cars. At least back then we always drove better after a few beers eh! Especially if we were wearing short shorts Big smile.

BTW, did you complain way back then when the compulsory wearing of seatbelts and motorcycle helmets were introduced? You know with the huge lack of commonsense around these days, I struggle to understand why the road toll has come down.... Of course 'desk jockeys' have no common sense either Confused, especially if the had a decent education.

You know I'm sure we'd be better off all round if we only had old school guys with low level educations who have been through the school of  hard knocks making all our rules. Imagine the laws we would have Big smile
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 2:05pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

it is not if? it is about eliminating risk especially among those who think they are Stirling moss on our roads. Yes there are some bad designed roads.Take highway 2,Bombay to Thames turn off,from Bombay it is 90kph till passing lanes at Mangitawhiri turn off,100kph on passing lanes then back to 90kph,hill up to pimk pig passing lane 90kph and so on till passing lane at heavens rest which yep 90kph,so passing lane is total waste as speed camera sits in middle of area every day.
North bound from maramarua golf course to  mangatawhiri is no overtaking double yellow lines single lane,you would be surprised how many overtake and I have no hesitation getting rego numbers and reporting them,never heard back on how many have been fined.It may seem safe to overtake as visibility is clear.yellow lines are yellow lines.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 3:07pm
the demon View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just stick to the limit ,lot of grumpy old man syndrome on this thread ,lol
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 3:43pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Stand to be corrected but anything over the speed limit can be ticketed if the officer deems it appropriate  - (e.g: the conditions/situation are in their view, unsafe) and this has been the case all along. The boys and girls in blue are very reasonable folk and there's no reason to believe that will change. 

Mike Bush is quoted as saying "It would be up to individual officers to decide whether to issue tickets for drivers caught driving only a small amount above the limit. It will depend upon the circumstances and our officers have always had discretion."

How it's been presented in the media seems to be more of a PR balls-up than anything else.  So all you chaps with twisted knickers, to quote Espresso... quickly relax!
Online...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 3:50pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

I suspect another smokescreen, a bit like the 3 snapper debacle pre-election Ermm , I wonder...

Anyway,for those with a smartphone, here's an interesting little exercise.
Download the Tower Insurance safe driver app & see how you go.
It entails driving 250 kms without breaking ANY speed rules,( that means doing 50k's WHEN you reach the sign) & the gps calibrates acceleration & braking etc.
I can tell you it's not easy to do, especially with 280bhp under the right foot but I'm here to say it can be achieved 
Meant a 20% discount on my insurance  so well worth the effortBig smile

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 4:11pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Uncle Uncle wrote:

I suspect another smokescreen, a bit like the 3 snapper debacle pre-election Ermm , I wonder...

Anyway,for those with a smartphone, here's an interesting little exercise.
Download the Tower Insurance safe driver app & see how you go.
It entails driving 250 kms without breaking ANY speed rules,( that means doing 50k's WHEN you reach the sign) & the gps calibrates acceleration & braking etc.
I can tell you it's not easy to do, especially with 280bhp under the right foot but I'm here to say it can be achieved 
Meant a 20% discount on my insurance  so well worth the effortBig smile

Yep. Then if you have an accident they can prove whether you were in the wrong/speeding or not. Most people do not realize most new cars have the equivalent of a black box under the seat. Insurance companies are doing their darndest to get access to these.
Hypothetically. With this new 1kmp buzz, do you think if you had an accident now and your app said you were doing 3kmph over the limit, do you think they would pay up or not?
Personally I believe they would. However the proof is in the pudding.
Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 4:40pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Thing is V8, I achieved a score of 85% then turned the app off.
Probably never activate it again ( no needWink)
Page  <1234>