1k speed tolerance

Page  123 4>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1k speed tolerance
    Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 5:02pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Expect to be Pulled Over going 1km Over the Limit this Xmas,

http://www.flava.co.nz/the-dirt/expect-to-be-pulled-over-going-1km-over-the-limit/

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote mouthu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 5:41pm
mouthu View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Can't really see the cops being that ****ing stupid, but if they want something to do for a bit of revenue they could always get the ****ers that speed up at passing lanes then slow down again, or the ****tards that don't know how to merge anywhere.
Yes it was me, I screwed it up for everyone.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Olfart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 5:57pm
Olfart View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You can just see the congestion on the roads as a result of this approach and plenty of frustrated travellers.....
Semper in excreta sumus, solum profundum variat....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Keith the fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 6:01pm
Keith the fisher View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I have yet to see a speedo that's accurate to within 1kph. Even new tyres can make a few Kph difference.

Revenue gathering of the highest degree. I could accept 4kph tolerance but this is a joke. I don't speed but its very easy to go a few Kph over down hills or on the highways.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Spearsniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 6:04pm
Spearsniper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

This is just F'n madness
I'm going to end up spending more time looking at the speedo, than looking out the window.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Olfart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 6:13pm
Olfart View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My speedo reads 2kph over and I always have the "overspeed" setting on the on board computer set at 54kph (so it would chime at a true 52kph).  I also drive with my in-car GPS running and this always warns me if I am exceeding the limit.  Despite these precautions I managed to collect a speeding fine for an "alleged" 56kph while travelling on my home road a few weeks ago. 
I duly sent off my cheque for the amount of the fine together with a note suggesting that as they seem to be short of cash, the funds could be used to shout the team a few sticky buns for morning tea....
Semper in excreta sumus, solum profundum variat....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 7:12pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Imagine being the lucky buggar who opens all the fines payment envelopes.Shocked
I'd think your wee note would be one of the nicest they would receive Grant .

Did I hear on the news that they have backtracked?
I sure hope so...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 7:19pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have yet to see a speedo that's accurate to within 1kph. Even new tyres can make a few Kph difference.

Yep I have.. when the tyres are getting worn on one of our cars.. and it was I who re calibrated the odometer gearing in the trans tail shaft after changing diff ratios
I also notice on all of the modern cars I have driven that have the factory spec tyres, they read slightly under when new and up to 5km/hr under when getting close to WoF stds.
If slightly larger circumference tyres are fitted then chance are they will read either correct or slightly over
Having the factory tyres on a car  is not a WoF spec, and FROM MEMORY, in the WoF manual there is a tolerance as to odo meter accuracy... so would be interesting to see how this legislation compares with the 1 km over policy
Now to throw another spanner in the works, if one measures the length of many, possibly most passing lanes....it is impossible to pass a vehicle that is limited by its size/ towing whatever without going over the speed limit.

So once again I think we can go right back to our current 'higher ' education system based on economic numbers rather than the quality of the graduates....who are mass produced and have no basic common sense..Our Government depts, local government, schools are full of them....industry well not quite as much... funny that

And this is the sort of stupid not thought thru thing that just keeps popping up on a day to day basis

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote CarlW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 7:28pm
CarlW View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Surely, SURELY the police have bigger things to worry about then pulling people over for doing 102 - like pulling people over that are driving too slow, I would suggest someone driving at 9okm/h (and not towing anything) is more dangerous to road users than someone doing 105. I've seen so many people make stupid passing decisions because they have become frustrated stuck behind slow drivers who don't pull over to let traffic past.
In all honesty, there's probably 100 better things the police could do with their time/resources then this crazy 1km/h plan
“My biggest worry is that my wife (when I’m dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.”
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote mowerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 7:47pm
mowerman View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

well if we all travel at 45 in a 50K zone ,95 on the m/w and 35 past schools we wont get nabbed ..
Its a money making racket to pop up what the govt is not making in exports ..Wait till the drink limit comes in
The People Protest

Actions Speak Louder Than Words    
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote leadchucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 7:53pm
leadchucker View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

At the end of the day a limit is a limit. I am sure none of you would agree it is OK to keep a 29cm Snapper just because it is close enough?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote taihoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 7:55pm
taihoa View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Its a Peter pays Paul situation. How else are they are going to pay for stuff ups that require government departments to extradite f..ckers from overseas, as with this last dude,as an example,without the generated income from us speedsters. less face it..its a bloody pain but just obey the rules for at least 2 months of the year.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 8:00pm
Betty Boop View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ditto OlfartThumbs Up
Last week I joined an Anti-Social support group........They won't talk to me!

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 8:05pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

No mention of accuracy
http://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/vehicle-interior/speedometer

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote catch1t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 8:35pm
catch1t View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

It will mostly be done by way of camera I reckon,, either that or we go back to the old ministry of transport traffic cops..

I expect radar detector sales to go through the roof..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 8:53pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

for once look at it the other way,
if everyone stays below the speed limit and nobody drinks and drives what will you achieved????
one the police will have more time to chasing Crims that are steeling off you,
another is helping old women/men cross the street...

for once settle down and enjoy the trip, dont kill yourself for just a few minutes that you could make up by eating your meal faster that would not kill you....  
Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 8:59pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by Lethal Lethal wrote:

for once look at it the other way,
if everyone stays below the speed limit and nobody drinks and drives what will you achieved????
one the police will have more time to chasing Crims that are steeling off you,
another is helping old women/men cross the street...

for once settle down and enjoy the trip, dont kill yourself for just a few minutes that you could make up by eating your meal faster that would not kill you....  

Bull**** Eric, all these new improved changes are just "revenue collection" devices. Do you actually think that the police wont sit and wait for you to speed "just around a blind corner" etc when they could be catching actual bad buggars.
You are in dream land mate if you think this is the caseWink
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 9:01pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I do not know about the rest of you. I have tried driving to the speed limit on a few trips from Auckland to Wellington and have nearly always fallen asleep because of the boredom. However when doing a constant 120kph on the long straight bits I do not tend to have that problem. Not an excuse for speeding. It is the reason I choose to on those long drives. It is often said speed kills. Well so does boredom. The Police are making right twits out of themselves with this 1kph guano. How accurate are their radars? When were they last calibrated? If stopped for doing the guano 1kph over request to see the devices certificate of calibration. That should get the officers heart racing.
Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 9:05pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Essexkiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 9:18pm
Essexkiwi View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by catch1t catch1t wrote:

It will mostly be done by way of camera I reckon,, either that or we go back to the old ministry of transport traffic cops..
I expect radar detector sales to go through the roof..

Correct on the camera, that and LTI20 laser.

As for radar detectors they're largely a waste of money. Speed cameras are hardly difficult to spot, detectors can't work against lasers, and won't work against patrol car radar unless the cop is inexperienced or lazy and leaves the beam active constantly. 

As already mentioned by someone earlier, they are not going to be ticketing for 1kph over in any case.  You might get pulled over and given a caution, but the 4kph tolerance for ticketing is still there so this is really just hype as part of the police attempt to achieve a culture/behaviour shift in drivers and get them used to driving just under the 100kph limit as their norm, instead of driving just over 100kph and within the ticketing tolerance as most do now.  

Personally I don't buy it at all that 104kph is unsafe compared to 100kph, but I understand the intent of the whole thing whether I agree with it or not.  At the end of the day I know what the speed limits are, and if I go over them and get pinged the only person at fault is me.

Bigger things to worry about than this, seriously.

Page  123 4>