Commercial Crayfish

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raging Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Commercial Crayfish
    Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 8:44am
Raging Bull View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt
Big Sexy

Does anyone know if there are any areas, other than marine reserves, where commercial boats are not allowed to take crays in the Hauraki Gulf?

I saw a commercial boat yesterday in an area I have never seen them, or there pots before.  

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mowerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 10:38am
mowerman View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

what area was that,? have only sighted them in the past on the outside of islands..I know the areas was very heavily potted was down the eastern sides of Waiheke

Must be getting lean for them so they try to mop up anything they have missed
The People Protest

Actions Speak Louder Than Words    
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raging Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 10:52am
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt
Big Sexy

Bottom end of Waiheke between Hooks bay and Kauri Pt.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mowerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 11:41am
mowerman View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes..last year all that area,including Ponui Island .It was hammered last year
The People Protest

Actions Speak Louder Than Words    
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raging Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 11:47am
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt
Big Sexy

First time i've seen them down there, must have had my head in the clouds! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 2:54pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

depending on area,they are allowed smaller size
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 5:07pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hammered last yr.. thats an understatement.
The whole area for several days during the week.... from above gannet right down towards the bottom ponui and out near a 1/3 across the firth... from just off shag.
Was a big ally , very powerful fast and manoeuvrable commercial boat...

lethal put up a map a couple weeks backre the commercial scallope areas.. I droped acopy onto my desk top as a reference  here it is again

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 7:04pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

years ago they used to pot the back of Waiheke "open seaside" the rest was left to the Rec's,
but we found places like Thompsons Point we could get 2 to 3 coal sacks full of crays or the Durella rock, that was the late 60s when i first started diving and belonged to a Club,
not long after that i cant remember seeing a Commercial Cray pot in the area up till i left for Kerikeri,
then i hear from Steps they are potting every where in this area now,

footnote back in the 60s limit was 10crays if i remember right P,P..
there is still plenty of crays around that area but they could be soon wiped out...
seams a lot more are getting into this cray potting lately, we have now 2 cray potters up here where i drop mine,
maybe the next increase will be aimed at this area,

will they ever learn, not likely....
the price of crays drop as the increase in quantity increases go's up..

will they ever learn, not likely....
it is so easy to wipe a population out and so hard for it to get established again..

good luck RB they will cream it till its reduce to sweet F^*k all again you can be sure on that..
just hope they dont get an increase because that will make it hard for anyone to get a feed then...

by the way there is no rules on where they can put their pots as far as i know...

maybe you should talk to the local IWI and ask them to do as the IWI up here have done,
get them banned from an area like Waiheke and surrounding Islands...

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 8:40am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Tairua is getting hammered by com cray fishing this year. 100s of pots 20m apart right up the coast 7 days a week month on month and put in all the close areas, no rec compassion. How one person can destroy sorry harvest a resource preventing so many others enjoy their birth right, legally bugs me. I'll take off my rose tinted glasses now :-)
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb