Hot snapper sesh - Hauraki Gulf with 'Assassin'

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hot snapper sesh - Hauraki Gulf with 'Assassin'
    Posted: 26 Nov 2014 at 8:44pm
nzfishwhisperer View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

The plan was to rally up the Pure Fishing troops and meet up with Brett from Assassin Charters out of Sandspit. Brett had said they were having a good Snappa bite just North of Kawau over the past few days

We planned to get the greenhorns on to some nice fish with product that they had never fished with, As I went through the show room I collected up a couple of the new Abu Salty Stage light jigging rods (Spin & OH) and a couple of the new Veritas light jig rods as well. I was thinking what else we could put through it's paces, as with greenhorns they are great putting new product to the test. They don't worry about high sticking or really putting rods under some serious load not knowing how far rods can go before they brake.

I also decided to grab the good old Legion/Fathom 12 combo as these have some serious action and also a couple of the Regiments combo'd up with the smaller SSV reels - It was going to be interesting not only to see how these light combos would hold up to some serious abuse but it was all so a "NO BAIT" sesh

I had to leave my strayline sets behind but the great thing with my sets they are already very light so it was easy for me to take a couple of my own to thrash

As we headed out of Sandspit the weather had closed in a little but getting out past Kawau it must have only been 5-10knts all the way out to the middle. Looking for any bird activity there was not a lot of action going on, We had brought all our new Braid micro jigs, Squiddo's, Slowmo's and good old gulp softbait - I was starting to think, man we are going to need bait with no work ups around

As we stopped off around 45mtrs we could see schools of rat kings so we dropped our jigs, softbaits and it was all go. Every one was hooking up left right a center - The guys were stoked hooking into fish, It didn't matter what it was or how big but the yahoos kept on coming. A couple of the guys made it to the bottom and picked up a few small Snapper. After catching a few fish with rods buckling like they had never buckled before Brett decided to head a little more North.

We had been fishing for awhile and still no work ups    I was thinking we had come all this way and we weren't going to have a hot fishing sesh... How wrong was I going to be - As Brett got us down to a spot he said we would all hook up on fish we got a little excited seeing a few gannets working. We all reached for our choice of weapons and set them up with micro jigs, Squiddo's and lumo elevator heads for attaching a mixture of softbaits.

One of the greenhorns gave a Koha to Tangaroa (A nice combo at the bottom of the sea) but it seemed to work as we dropped our jigs and softies everyone was hooking up and hooking up to some nice fish to - We thanked her each time we pulled in a good Snap anywhere between 2-6kilo after awhile it was all forgotten and she had already grabbed another and was hooking into them as well. Mal was working the new Braid T Caster which was smashing some good Snaps, I set up one of the combos with my fav Squiddo - Pinkshine, The big snaps just couldn't leave it alone and Josh one of the greenhorns was smashing snaps with it on every drop, and of the softbaits it didn't matter what we used - 6" grub new penny, belly strips was firing, squidvicious none of it was getting to the bottom

Mid fishing sesh the boat was surrounded by acres of pilchards and it sounded like rain on the water - There were millions upon millions and not really any birds in sight, what an amazing sight it was

For the next hour or two we ended up with a good looking bin, With the good size fish we were landing we ended up keeping 22 between 7 of us which gave us 3 solid fish each to take home - The guys smiles lasted all the way back to base as well.

What a great arvo out on the water with the troops and if you want to get into some of this hot action then you need to get hold of Brett from Assassin Charters - He has amazing knowledge and the knowhow to get you onto some good fish for a good time.....

Craigo hooked up with the 120grm Salty

Our cool little Legion combo fully tested

Mal fully testing the Veritas light jig 1-3PE rod - Swinging a 45grm Braid Micro jig

A few fish in the bin

The Penn Regiment under a serious work out

Josh with his 70cm Snap caught on the Pink shine Squiddo

Mal with a nice Snap taken on the Braid T Caster

Schools of pillies

Couple nice ones caught on softies

The Pure Fishing troop with a few of there catches

Go the Pink Shine Squiddo.....

The fish bin

She's choker now...

Thanks Brett for a top fishing sesh on Assassin
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2014 at 9:28pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Onya jase,good to see the warehouse staff out on the water
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote daz500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2014 at 10:08pm
daz500 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

good report jas catch up soon
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 8:27am
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by of2fsh of2fsh wrote:

Onya jase,good to see the warehouse staff out on the water

Cheers Wayne - Was a good fish'n sesh alright - The guys loved it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 8:29am
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by daz500 daz500 wrote:

Cheers Darren - Was a good night with the guys Keen as to get up your way so let me know when and I'm there....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote swordfishsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 9:00am
swordfishsteve View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Nice Work Jay, imagine how big you would have caught using REEL bait mate?? the mind boggles!!
chur swordfishsteveWink
REEL REPAIR GUY - Swordfishsteve, That Is Who I Am and That is What I Do : See More At :www.reelrepairguy.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Elpescador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 9:01am
Elpescador View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by fishwisperer fishwisperer wrote:

Cheers Darren - Was a good night with the guys Keen as to get up your way so let me know when and I'm there....
And girls. good to see Stacey getting her fish on!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Devon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 2:57pm
Devon View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cool man. I love my legion/fathom combo, the action of the rod is wicked and ive given the fathom a real bloody beating over the last year and a half and its still as smooth as the day i got it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 9:08pm
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by Elpescador Elpescador wrote:

Originally posted by fishwisperer fishwisperer wrote:

And girls. good to see Stacey getting her fish on!

True that E but she's like one of the guys and def mixed it up with them She's already asking - when are we going again....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 9:11pm
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by Devon Devon wrote:

Cool man. I love my legion/fathom combo, the action of the rod is wicked and ive given the fathom a real bloody beating over the last year and a half and its still as smooth as the day i got it

Yip grate little combo alright - I have all three legions and a 12/15Fthm and just brought a 15NLDFthm to thrash this season
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 9:13pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Another great update - thanks Jas.
Online...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 7:59pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

loving the action of the rod in the second and third pic, what is that combo?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 9:16pm
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by FizFisho FizFisho wrote:

loving the action of the rod in the second and third pic, what is that combo?

Hi FF - Thats our little Penn Fathom 12 on the Penn 6'6 Legion rod - Its a grouse little combo and a lot of fun to fish with...

The below link will give you some info on both rod and reel Smile