keeping tabs on drag pressure with a star drag

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sappercatcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: keeping tabs on drag pressure with a star drag
    Posted: 25 Nov 2014 at 9:40pm
sappercatcha View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

ok so when you store any reel you should back the drag off.... my question is how to keep taps on the drag settings its easy on a leaver drag as its all pre set how would you do it on a star drag or spinning reel count the number of turns each time or is there an easier way?
keep up the good work boys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2014 at 11:03pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I just check it by pulling on the line and set it til 'it feels right'.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2014 at 1:11pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We wash our gear, rinse well under light hose spray
Rack the rods
next day innox and back off the brakes

When comes to prep for fishing, the bigger rods I set the drag at just over1.5 kg ball park direct off the end of the rod
The light gear around 1kg
Doing so, one 'keeps in touch' with how it feels to simply pull off the reel and reset...espec after getting a good sized fish and start to crank the drag up....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2014 at 3:00pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

set the drag and leave the bloody thing alone,
since matt started his tv show he has been running his thumb on the spool and everyone seams to think its how you do it,
well if you were to spend $500 to $1500 bucks on a reel you would expect the reel to do its job,
the reel stores the line and winds it in, the drags are made so smooth these days there is no reason what so ever to use your blood thumb and risk the chance of loosing a massive fish of which i has seen matt do on many accusations,
here is the crunch line considering he promotes catch and release you would think breaking off a fish would be the let down because it sure as hell will die the worst death dragging around any large amount of line behind it, but no that seams ok by him, just a dam bad moment...

so think of the fish when placing your thumb on the spool and enjoy the reel screaming, the fish isnt about to go far, and while it is swimming away its less likely to reef you because it is swimming not stopped dead in the water and nowhere to go but under the weed or ledge and bust you off...

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sappercatcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2014 at 3:32pm
sappercatcha View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Lethal Lethal wrote:

set the drag and leave the bloody thing alone,
since matt started his tv show he has been running his thumb on the spool and everyone seams to think its how you do it,
well if you were to spend $500 to $1500 bucks on a reel you would expect the reel to do its job,
the reel stores the line and winds it in, the drags are made so smooth these days there is no reason what so ever to use your blood thumb and risk the chance of loosing a massive fish of which i has seen matt do on many accusations,
here is the crunch line considering he promotes catch and release you would think breaking off a fish would be the let down because it sure as hell will die the worst death dragging around any large amount of line behind it, but no that seams ok by him, just a dam bad moment...

so think of the fish when placing your thumb on the spool and enjoy the reel screaming, the fish isnt about to go far, and while it is swimming away its less likely to reef you because it is swimming not stopped dead in the water and nowhere to go but under the weed or ledge and bust you off...

so you set your drag then leve it don't you have issues with jurky drags or uneven drag pressure or on the other hand water getting in when washing down? only reason I ask is I have been told from a very young age that you should tighten drags as tight as you can for wash down then back off to nothing for storage other wise you bugger your drag washers which I have done once or twice myself be interesting to hear what you have to say about that
keep up the good work boys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2014 at 4:00pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Dont know about tight as u can bit...
I think the idea is once u have a little drag on, all the 'clutches' are engaguged .. have pressure... which mean IF any water gets inside the salt will not contaimate the clutches.. IF it gets past the the seals..which do wear eventually
I dont know if u have pulled and serviced the clutches... but they do havew a lot of gease around them and on to protect...
So from the mechanical side to me then even so its unlikely to get water/ salt past seals and the grease... as Lethal I think infers.
Even so and Im only talking std clutch es , not aftermarket carbon things... it cant be good for the 'felt' type clutches to have constant pressure on them... they ate not like a car brake pad or a car clutch material

So more on the latter is why I pull the pressure off the clutches, and may as well do it in a manner that MAY prevent water salt damage...

As to using ones finger as the main clutch 'adjustment... maybe for smaller stuff...but hit a something big drag back off the reef, use the thumb and hold the rod coulds be a little too much....
yep with Lethal on that one too... even thu I will do it if a smaller fish is just pulling a little line when drag set to 1 or 1.5 kg off the end of the rod...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2014 at 4:31pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Hi sappercatcha, i reset my drag before going out its easy enough,
if like me i have run 6kg on my basic snapper gear for at least 30years you sure get to know the pressure and how it sings when unloading line, normally set it at about 2 to 3kg which is high but still will not break unless the line has been snagged and to free it you have stretched all the give out of the line, this then makes it weaker and hence break at 4kg... thats Nylon,

with braid which is more reliant on the rod and trace for forgiveness before the drag kicks in then you would be wise to run only 2kg on a 6kg braided line, but then some will break way above this so knowing your lines limitation are even more crucial if your about to set it at 1/3 the breaking strain...

as for the drag washers getting wet or salted which is the biggest problem, salt is fine practicals which create the lumpy drags, like Steps said on a star drag the washers are encased inside the main gear of your reel and if the reel is serviced properly with a light heat resistant water proof grease no intrusion will happen, if its a lever drag then all the new good reels have a shield protecting them,
my reels are near 20 years all old some even 30 years and they are smooth as when it comes to slipping under pressure....

foot note: some rods will add another 1kg of weight to your line when loaded so be sure to test from rod tip when using scales or water in a bucket to set your drag...

edit: LOL my reels are older than you are i just looked..
old reels used to have very loose set-up in the drag systems and salt water could easy make there way into the drag system, then when it dried out would leave bits of salt to make it jerky...

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing