Tiagra, Penn or Avet for broadbill ?

Page  123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tiagra, Penn or Avet for broadbill ?
    Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 7:43pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'm wanting a reel for broadbill - probably a 50w as I can get plenty of braid on one . The avet can be cranked up to get crazy amounts of drag but the penn and shimano are both capable of 20kgs of drag which is probably more than I can handle anyway . Are there any advantages that one of these reels has over the others ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alan syme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 8:11pm
alan syme View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Tiagra for me, I have not used an Avet so not sure about them. Tiagra's have a very strong following for good reason in my opinion.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KikBac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 8:19pm
KikBac View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Throw Makaira 50W (85 lbs max drag) into the mix
Beer: the most important meal of the day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tone E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 8:34pm
Tone E View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The Penn...coz no one else has said Penn yet. Anyway, it will work as well as the others
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 8:52pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Tone E Tone E wrote:

The Penn...coz no one else has said Penn yet. Anyway, it will work as well as the others

Swordfish Steve rates his Penns , something about twice the drag surface as a tiagra 50 on a penn vsw ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 9:05pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

They all work fine and have records to back them up.
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote widerange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 9:09pm
widerange View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

talica 50,hollow ace,on a calstar .
sorted Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hard yardz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 10:31pm
hard yardz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Lots more winding with a 50 compared to an 80 due to spool diameter if you deep dropping.i, ll imagine with sometimes up to 900m out that extra reeling over the course of the day would add up.but doesnt matter if theres sword attached to the other end!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AlexFyssher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 10:31pm
AlexFyssher View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by widerange widerange wrote:

talica 50,hollow ace,on a calstar .
sorted Wink

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote reeldeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 10:33pm
reeldeal View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Avet 3 speeds. 1:1 ratio 
www.madfin.co.nz Home of Avet reels New Zealand
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 7:37am
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Makaira 80W would be my pick!
Tight lines
PE Pete
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote daveo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 7:49am
daveo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by PE Pete PE Pete wrote:

why is that? how many have you caught on your makaira 80w?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 9:14am
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by daveo daveo wrote:

]
Originally posted by PE Pete PE Pete wrote:

why is that? how many have you caught on your makaira 80w?
 this is it really Makairas don't have that much history either and really I'm more interested in people who have caught broadbill giving their opinions , I've caught quite a few striped marlin over the years on Alutecnos  ,Penns and Shimanos but broadbill fishing has very different requirements to marlin fishing , ie greater drag , line capacity , winding in 600plus meters of line after a drift so things like a 1:1 ratio might well be a good idea when fighting a stuborn fish .
 So PE Pete why would you suggest using a Makaira based on your experience ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote YeeHaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 9:36am
YeeHaa View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think that's a great point  daveo. Lets here from the people that have caught good numbers of them and there experiences.
Luke from the shop has caught quite a few now and his preference is Tiagra 50W for the reason that he does not have to drop into low gear when he first hooks up and the fish is on its way to the surface. With an 80w he found you had to drop into low gear and this was way too slow...... 

WWW.YEEHAA.CO.NZ
(09)5705058
30 Jellicoe Road Panmure
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 1:24pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

thank you Yeehaa , was hoping luke or one of you would answer , still trying to work out what you meant the advantage is .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote YeeHaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 2:00pm
YeeHaa View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Legacy Legacy wrote:

thank you Yeehaa , was hoping luke or one of you would answer , still trying to work out what you meant the advantage is .

Luke here now Tongue
I found that once you have hooked up and the sword is on the way to the surface with an 80w because of the drag needed to just wind the belly in the line you needed to drop into low gear and you had to do more winding...
With a 50W i found you didnt need to drop into low as the spool dia. with 600m of line out was small enough and i could stay in high gear..
For me i like this advantage and so have been using 50w for the last 2 years for them during the day...
BUt now with talica 50 available as well my pick would be between those 2.
Drag rating is now biggie for me as im not massive and only fight with a maximum of around 14-16kg MAX (screw that 20-25kg leg braking ****) and most fights i do with around 10kg which i can fight comfortable and still knock over nice fish in good times (upto 275kg)

WWW.YEEHAA.CO.NZ
(09)5705058
30 Jellicoe Road Panmure
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 2:30pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers Luke ,I didn't think of the drag that 600m of line has . Does the Talica 50 have enough line capacity ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote YeeHaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 2:38pm
YeeHaa View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

When you step down to 80-100lb braid the dia. is smaller than 24kg in most cases so you should have plenty. and ive only had 2 or 3 fish actually fight from the bottom with 90% coming straight up so not much in reserve is needed.

WWW.YEEHAA.CO.NZ
(09)5705058
30 Jellicoe Road Panmure
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 2:42pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Many thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 2:44pm
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

sorry for the slight hi-jack!

Luke - did you notice if you got tight 'early' on the two fish that stayed deep? that is rather than winding the belly to the surface?

Page  123>