Desk and lamp for fly tying?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ahab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Desk and lamp for fly tying?
    Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 12:12pm
Ahab View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

What features do you experienced old salts recommend for a desk and lighting for fly tying?

I have asked for a full set up for Christmas/ birthday.

I will probably get a lamp from Rod and Reel, and I'm thinking about this TradeMe desk:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=811468462

Sorry, can't work out a hyperlink from tablet.

Any suggestions/tips would be great.

Thanks, Tom.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 12:38pm
corokid View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have an old writing desk Tom. THe type that you fold the top down , exposing a flat work space , several neat little shelves and cubby holes . Utilise bits of dowell if you want to get fancy for your thread bobbins. 
Has several drawers and cupboards underneath for storage. Dont have a photo on hand .
They can be a little pricy as sort of antique , I scored mine for $50 as it was a little rough.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 11:47pm
Pole Dancer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep those Bureaus are great! I've gone a bit demented and outgrown any reasonable space... I'll leave the conversation now.... I am placed to discuss size of room than size of desk! Cry
www.clarkreid.co.nz   FFF Certified Casting Instructor / Umpqua Designer Tier
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SNOWKIWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 5:46am
SNOWKIWI View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I bought one of the Romak Compact Garage Workbenches from Bunnings, you can set it up how you want, is nice and tall if you are like me and work from a kitchen stool, on sale at Bunnings. I also picked up a 90 LED angle poise lamp and 3  dioptre magnifier off Trademe that I have mounted on the bench for my blind old eyes, a huge improvement on my old set up, of which there is a picture on here somewhere!  

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing, by people who can't fish.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DeVille Incarnate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 7:34pm
DeVille Incarnate View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have a roller top desk and I'm very happy with mine. No more heat from the Steering Committee about fly tying stuff all over the place!

I'll post a pic a bit later on.

Approach with extreme caution - I NEVER look where my back cast is going....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DeVille Incarnate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 7:43pm
DeVille Incarnate View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Works for me.
Approach with extreme caution - I NEVER look where my back cast is going....