New house Values = New Boat?

Page  <1234>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mangre 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 1:00pm
mangre 2 View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by CanadianJohn CanadianJohn wrote:

Originally posted by OneWayTraffic OneWayTraffic wrote:

Of course take that reasoning to the extreme, and we'd all be in dinghys towed behind bicycles, and sitting down to eat our spotties on tea crates in front of our B&W TVs.

that sounds weirdly appealing for some reason!

Wink
Beautiful is better than ugly, Explicit is better than implicit, Simple is better than complex, Complex is better than complicated.      http://oceanmobilemap.blogspot.co.nz/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 1:04pm
the angler View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Having a few passions in life is the difference between existing and living , I sure as hell don't want to wait till I'm 70 to start standing at the top of mountains with a few buddies scoping valleys of fresh powder to track ,and the way the Chinese are plundering the sea I definately wouldn't wait to buy a boat and expect to start catching marlin cos they might not be there in a few years.
besides when you lead a rockstar lifestyle chances are u won't make it that far anyway.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 1:32pm
corokid View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well said Angler

'Don't worry about getting old , It doesn't last that long"

All about keeping things in balance , everyone has the right to establish their own priorities.
If you going to borrow the funds to buy a new boat , the mortgage rate certainly beats finance company rates. In alot of circumstances its they only way folk can manage it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 1:56pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The way that I look at it is this:

My current boat is a 3.5m Smartwave with a 1 year old 20hp four stroke. Safe, reliable and gets me out there (with the whole family if I stay in harbours.)

Would selling it and dropping say another 10-15k on a Mac420 or similar give me fun worth the extra? If it was just me, then no. But when I can no longer fit the whole family on, then it may be money worth spent. 

Extra money in the bank vs kids childhood memories.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 3:06pm
Betty Boop View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'm happy with my boat/trailer and engine combo(250hrs), selection of new Shimano rods'reels and total Black Magic tackle, Prado tow vehicle. We will now relocate to Tauranga for a comfortable retirement to get away from Auckland and their mottley crew............I plan to work part time and go Fish'n with my MissusThumbs Up.........priority at the moment, is to find the correct abode that suits our lifestyle, as her professional career is transferableCool
Last week I joined an Anti-Social support group........They won't talk to me!

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote pompey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 4:08pm
pompey View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Walu Walu wrote:

I'm happy with my boat/trailer and engine combo(250hrs), selection of new Shimano rods'reels and total Black Magic tackle, Prado tow vehicle. We will now relocate to Tauranga for a comfortable retirement to get away from Auckland and their mottley crew............I plan to work part time and go Fish'n with my MissusThumbs Up.........priority at the moment, is to find the correct abode that suits our lifestyle, as her professional career is transferableCool

Great move, you won't regret it. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote -prozac- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 5:50pm
-prozac- View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I'm 29, me and the wife brought our house a bit over 2 years ago when the market was really low, sold my first boat to get the deposit to do so. Got it valued back in March and it had come up nearly 100k so tacked a little bit on and brought another boat, nothin too flash, 6.1 scorpion with a 4 stroke on the back but it gets us back out on the water and chasing marlin. Our mortgage is bugger all compared to some of those Auckland houses anyway and we're only 40 mins away. As angler said you only live once and mite aswell have the fun while you can
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 6:20pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by the angler the angler wrote:

Having a few passions in life is the difference between existing and living , I sure as hell don't want to wait till I'm 70 to start standing at the top of mountains with a few buddies scoping valleys of fresh powder to track ,and the way the Chinese are plundering the sea I definately wouldn't wait to buy a boat and expect to start catching marlin cos they might not be there in a few years.
besides when you lead a rockstar lifestyle chances are u won't make it that far anyway.

Yep
And there are 2  correct schools of thought
That above, which if us older guys where to be honest, we have done that over the yrs...most properly a few more times than once... maybe not a boat but a car, new kitchen, the bach...
Hell think about it.. we brought our 1st house in the early 70s... 24K... this one in the 90s 84K  and now GV  way over 500K

Then the other thought... one is older retirement is here or close, consolidating, clear debit.. and the value of the family home means squat...but debit does

But those younger guys that do 'cash in'  be very careful....dont get carried away
When we where doing this in the 70s thru to the 90s, we had inflation across the board that made our debit to asset ratio increase...and this inflations was across the board... wages , food everything.
The current trend is a isolated property bubble, on top of another bubble...and inflationary pressures in all the other markets, including wages is static... well wages is neg t static...
So do so but with long term caution.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 6:33pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Originally posted by the angler the angler wrote:

Yep
And there are 2  correct schools of thought
That above, which if us older guys where to be honest, we have done that over the yrs...most properly a few more times than once... maybe not a boat but a car, new kitchen, the bach...
Hell think about it.. we brought our 1st house in the early 70s... 24K... this one in the 90s 84K  and now GV  way over 500K

Then the other thought... one is older retirement is here or close, consolidating, clear debit.. and the value of the family home means squat...but debit does

But those younger guys that do 'cash in'  be very careful....dont get carried away
When we where doing this in the 70s thru to the 90s, we had inflation across the board that made our debit to asset ratio increase...and this inflations was across the board... wages , food everything.
The current trend is a isolated property bubble, on top of another bubble...and inflationary pressures in all the other markets, including wages is static... well wages is neg t static...
So do so but with long term caution.
I shudder when I think of the $$$ i've squadered on toys.......However I've had heaps of fun.
One does need to know when to stop and capitalise on our assets and be able to maintain a moderate lifestyle, when the pension kicks inBig smile

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote KikBac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 6:51pm
KikBac View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Until you actually cash up, its only Monopoly money. Remember the "yuppies" of 1987 who spent up large on BMW's, Racehorses, Gold Coast condos and the 7 hour lunch all on the back of the "perceived" value of their inflated share portfolios? And remember how many of them lost their shirt when the excrement hit the ceiling fan...
Beer: the most important meal of the day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote mangre 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 7:06pm
mangre 2 View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Na Just go fishing with mates with equity and debt. and  million dollar boats

They love coming pig hunting in my 3,000 dollar hilux, so it's a good trade off.

Good thread.

I will wait until I have paid off my houses, then go travel the world
Beautiful is better than ugly, Explicit is better than implicit, Simple is better than complex, Complex is better than complicated.      http://oceanmobilemap.blogspot.co.nz/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote WHANGAPOA FISHER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 7:43pm
WHANGAPOA FISHER View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Bought our house in 2001 ,burnt down three months later. New house built with extensions and alterations with a lot of hard work and sacrifices( twelve years & counting).Now a hell of a lot of equity or as the previous posts have said monopoly money. Have owned a 14 foot Fyran for the past 8 years which has served its purpose and some and when my kids get a bit older will definitely upgrade to something bigger. As previous posts have stated as long as you can service the debt that's fine but being cautious can definitely give you options in the future or if the poop hits the fan.     
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Godders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 8:29pm
Godders View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yeah my house earns more money than I do and it gets to work from home.Ive been paying a mortgage for 14 years and I still owe 20grand more than what I started.I won my perfect boat though (fc430).boats and double cab utes seem to hold there value better than cars.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote viscount Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 8:33pm
viscount View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

All the banks minions! They need you to Borrow more so they can make more, pay off the mortgage! uou will be better off.
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Schullery
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Spectrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 9:17pm
Spectrum View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by KikBac KikBac wrote:

Until you actually cash up, its only Monopoly money. Remember the "yuppies" of 1987 who spent up large on BMW's, Racehorses, Gold Coast condos and the 7 hour lunch all on the back of the "perceived" value of their inflated share portfolios? And remember how many of them lost their shirt when the excrement hit the ceiling fan...

Yep i think this will happen in nz and it could make a lot of baby boomers rethink there retirement plans. This will tick some off but in my eyes we need a market correction because if we don't it will completely enslave the entire population in there 20-30s to an over prices mortgage for the rest of there lives, all so baby boomers can go on retirement cruises and live the high life. 
Kiwis are have a terminal obsession with property that i liken to a big pry mid scheme, as long as we get enough immigrants and young people jump on the band wagon then everything is hunky dory. Look at these investors who have 100 plus houses it makes me want to vomit. People see that as getting ahead, in reality all they are doing is taking houses out of the market, forcing family to scrap over what is left in turn pushing up price because most value raising a family in the own home. Housing should not be for people to speculate on and make a quick buck, it should be for people to live in and house families. think about all the money tied up in our property market and how much better off we would be if it had been invested into the productive sector not non performing bricks and mortar. 
The facts are our houses are massively over valued across the board and we can deal with it now or leave the mess for the next generation to clean up.

so on that note buy a boat and enjoy it while you can LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 9:53pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by WHANGAPOA FISHER WHANGAPOA FISHER wrote:

Bought our house in 2001 ,burnt down three months later. New house built with extensions and alterations with a lot of hard work and sacrifices( twelve years & counting).Now a hell of a lot of equity or as the previous posts have said monopoly money. Have owned a 14 foot Fyran for the past 8 years which has served its purpose and some and when my kids get a bit older will definitely upgrade to something bigger. As previous posts have stated as long as you can service the debt that's fine but being cautious can definitely give you options in the future or if the poop hits the fan.     
" As previous posts have stated as long as you can service the debt that's fine but being cautious can definitely give you options in the future or if the poop hits the fan. "
Be prepared............I suffered life threating Head injuries 5years ago..learn to accept sometimes your unable to continue doing what your profession was. We can adapt and still be able to go fish'n Thumbs Up

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 10:05pm
the angler View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A million bucks for a crappy cold dark old villa that needs a 12 tonne digger driven thru it , damn that is some crazy stuff happening up there in the big smoke , yep it's got pyramid scheme written all over it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 11:14pm
Platinum
Platinum

Thumbs Up

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Penty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 10:02am
Penty View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Spectrum Spectrum wrote:

Yep i think this will happen in nz and it could make a lot of baby boomers rethink there retirement plans. This will tick some off but in my eyes we need a market correction because if we don't it will completely enslave the entire population in there 20-30s to an over prices mortgage for the rest of there lives, all so baby boomers can go on retirement cruises and live the high life. 
LOL

Spectrum there is a term for this it is called 'inter-generational theft" becoming a very real issue in NZ...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Godders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 10:35am
Godders View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

But in the late 90s was the brain drain and everyone was leaving the country and saying last one out turn off the lights and house prices and rents were low and building slowed to a halt.Then 9/11 happened and two good governments and hot summers returned again with good fishing and now people realise what a lucky place to live.
Page  <1234>