Worked first played later

Post Options Post Options   Likes (5) Likes(5)   Quote Johnny Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Worked first played later
    Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 3:36pm
Johnny Watson View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Finished work at 1 and shot up around kawau for a solo afternoon fish. Bit choppy on the way out but was soon at the grounds. First drop of the softbait resulted in a nice eater. Momentarily hooked and lost a big snap at the end of the drift. Moved back up but only a few taps next drift. Saw a huge baitball on the sounder so dropped a sabiki and loaded up on jackmacs for later. Repeated the drift again and hooked up as soon as the 5 inch z man coconut ice hit the sea bed. After a good tussle I landed and released a nice 14 pound snap . Mean I was happy with that. Managed a few more nice eaters here and there but wind against tide was not the best. Anchored up at spot X for a big bait and berley session. The second mac down got slammed by a beauty but I missed it Won't make that mistake again I thought to myself (more like cursing out loud). Next mac out barely hit the ground before it was slammed by a good snap.l knew it would be 20 pound plus after the fight it gave and was not disappointed when it finally slid into the net . YYYYEEEEEEHHHHHAAAAAAAA what a fish . Got a couple pics unfortunately I couldn't hold the fish at the same time. Estimated at 21 pounds.Second biggest snap to date. My fingers didn't even go close to wrapping around its tail .Was 78 cm long and extremely fat. Nursed it back to life and it shot off like a bullet after a couple minutes of encouragement Always so rewarding watching big fish power away. Kept my limit of snaps between 3 and 7 pound as my family and friends love fillets. What a awesome way to finish a week of work, especially after all this crappie weather. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Johnny Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 3:39pm
Platinum
Platinum

Picture of the 14 pounder
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 3:57pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Shot Johnny Cool
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Johnny Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 4:00pm
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers mate did you get out ? I saw you guys were planning a trip. Bloody breezy today though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 4:01pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nah mate did not tomorrow for me eh, is spot x where I think it is? LOL If not PM me it!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 7:11pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Way to go Johnny!!! Great looking 20 plus lb snap caught and released. Jack Macs my favourite big snap bait as well when i can catch them.........Thanked.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Johnny Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 8:14pm
Platinum
Platinum

Hey Muppet it was all of a km from where you are talking about .what a great area that place is . Hopefully the crowds don't catch on! I might have to take you for a fish and you can show me how to catch these auckland kingfish! I can only catch them in the coromandel ...
Cheers for the kind words Geoff that means a lot coming from nz best snapper catcher. Always read your posts. Yep the macs are damn near irresistible to big snaps. Hopefully the west coast flattens for you soon, it must be pretty messy at the moment. I know Christmas can bring in some long durations of easterlys. Cheers fellas
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 8:34pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Nice work JohnnyThumbs Up great specimen of a snapper, well done on release too
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 8:39pm
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good onya Johnny
Congrates on that fish and successful release
"Team Skunk 10th equal Grunter Hunter 2020"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Johnny Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 8:58pm
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers skunk and kaveman. Still buzzing. Love watching them swim back to where they came from . Just had snapper for dinner ,as did my friends and family. Can't beat the smaller ones for eating. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 11:48pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Johnny Watson Johnny Watson wrote:

Hey Muppet it was all of a km from where you are talking about .what a great area that place is . Hopefully the crowds don't catch on! I might have to take you for a fish and you can show me how to catch these auckland kingfish! I can only catch them in the coromandel ...
Cheers for the kind words Geoff that means a lot coming from nz best snapper catcher. Always read your posts. Yep the macs are damn near irresistible to big snaps. Hopefully the west coast flattens for you soon, it must be pretty messy at the moment. I know Christmas can bring in some long durations of easterlys. Cheers fellas
Humbling Words Johnny...... Yep its weeks between getting out in the little Mac at the Moment. Strange spell of weather we are having on the West coast, its got colder and rougher last few weeks. Frustraighting at times not being able to get out but the Snaps are only going to get bigger for the next time! Wot makes it one of the best snapper fisheries going is the limited days one has to fish it from month to month. Keep dropping those Jack Macs down Johnny there will be a bigger one come along soon!! Cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Johnny Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 2:46pm
Platinum
Platinum

Definitely odd weather alright. Feels like august more than November most days . Water warming up but very slowly. Kings are very scarce in most inshore waters . I have only ever launched the west coast once and that was a buzz in itself. Definitely keeps the crowds away though which can only be a good thing like you say. Keep up the good work mate and I look forward to seeing your next report . And yes I will definitely be floating some more quivering macs down to the depths . . . . . . . . . Cheers