Which softbait to choose?

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Yakfisher21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which softbait to choose?
    Posted: 10 Nov 2014 at 11:01pm
Yakfisher21 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi I'm new to softbaiting and wondered if I should get gulp, Z man or trigger x
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2014 at 11:21pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Gulp are the most popular for a reason. I'm told that Zman are good for longevity, but even those who use Zmans often keep a packet of Gulp for when the fish don't want to bite. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Yakfisher21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2014 at 11:37pm
Bronze
Bronze

Thank you for replying I really appreciate everyone's help here!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Potty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 9:56am
Potty View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi yakfisher,

Zman paddle tails have awesome action and are deadly on the fish.

I personally don't rate the Zman jerk shads, they do catch fish but the Gulp 5 inch equivalent are way superior.

Gulp 3 inch minnows are a must have and deadly in autumn.

I have tried Trigger X but won't be wasting money buying them again.
Love fishing, love my job. It's a bloody shame that they clash.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Structfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 10:46am
Structfab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

try using gulps around the Merc's and the leatherjackets will shred your entire packet in no time at all! Zmans all the way. In the Hauraki Gulf gulps (or anything for that matter) work well.
remember to try and "match the hatch" what ever you use
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rob Optimist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 11:58am
Rob Optimist View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Zman paddle tails or curly tails in new penny would be a great way to start your softbaiting, good luck.
               "attitude is everything"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Yakfisher21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 12:22pm
Bronze
Bronze

How do you store them? I find the bags they come in are leaky and wreck my softbaits. Thanks for your help
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Potty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 12:52pm
Potty View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Zman's don't leak, they don't come in juice, just store them in the bags they come in.

If your a believer in secret sauce you can get some of that and add it to your baits.

With gulps the best thing to do is buy a container of them, then when you buy packets of gulp just add them to your container.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishing Addiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 1:30pm
Fishing Addiction View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Gulps are a good way to get your confidence up as they tend to bite for longer but they will cost you a small fortune to use them
I have only used z mans for the last few years
Get 3.75" minnows in shiner, 4" paddle tails in new penny, curly tails in coconut ice and you will be ready to roll. Those 3 packets will last you forever
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 3:58pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Potty Potty wrote:

Hi yakfisher,

Zman paddle tails have awesome action and are deadly on the fish.

I personally don't rate the Zman jerk shads, they do catch fish but the Gulp 5 inch equivalent are way superior.

Gulp 3 inch minnows are a must have and deadly in autumn.

I have tried Trigger X but won't be wasting money buying them again.

Zman shads are all good, Coconut Ice and Bleeding Banana in particular.

My all time favourite is flicking Gulp Sapphire Shine 6 or 5 inch in the shallows trying to imitate piper by casting next to submerged rocks. The snapper hit them really hard.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 8:07pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I like thr Z man bruised banana is a great colour as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 10:45am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This is a dumb question,do s/b work in the dark?ie after sunset etc same question lures etc
if i knew i would not ask
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote eynon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 11:11am
eynon View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

an unscented, non reflective, non luminescent lure only has its movement to attract fish 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 12:09pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

we were catching fish in 55mts the other day on Zmans makes you wounder how much light was down that deep,
used to jig fish just after the sun went down in 10 to 20mts, i guess a little light is needed their eyes certainly can pick up things we could never see..
Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 12:18pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You can put a fluoro bead on the jig head as well. The point of light really makes a difference. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 12:23pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

when using at night,would eels be attracted?
i do not normally fish after sunset as found snapper go off bite,but was wondering if the s/b etc would keep the bite going thanks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Potty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 2:23pm
Potty View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

This is a dumb question,do s/b work in the dark?ie after sunset etc same question lures etc

Mate soft baits are that good that I have caught my limit and headed home well before dark.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 3:21pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Potty Potty wrote:

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

Mate soft baits are that good that I have caught my limit and headed home well before dark.
looking at a evening fish 800 to about 10.00 in about 2 weeks .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote eynon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 3:55pm
eynon View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

find some glow in the dark ones and use a bright torch, maybe take some backup salted bait?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote No Major Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 6:11pm
No Major View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Try some secret sauce on it, it's treated with a UV blast. Basically as well as the scent attractant you'll also have a UV reflective base, much better penetration of this at lowlight or deep water conditions. Might make the difference :)
Page  12>