New Fish Farm For Whangarei

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Fish Farm For Whangarei
    Posted: 07 Nov 2014 at 5:14pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2014 at 7:14pm
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

What are they going to kill to feed the kingis?

I know for salmon a lot of food is needed to get 1kg of salmon.

There was one of these at Parangaranga that went bust, don't know why?

I was anchored close to there Friday night and looking at the facility, funny this would come up now.

I hope they have it together this time.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2014 at 8:34pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

wonder if there will be a trade off,  forced to release a few in to wild to help restock wild fish?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2014 at 8:06am
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The paerengarenga plant basically went bust because they were sold an inappropriate system by the consultant they got when setting up the farm. Being Danish he recommended a zippiddy-doodah Danish system, which they duly installed, only to realise afterwards that a fish farm for fattening eels , as it was designed for, was useless for kingfish.
Sorry, not "useless", but rather, cripplingly inefficient, hence going bust.
Had they used a Japanese system instead of being sold a pup by their Danish "expert" then they would have been fine.
It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SNOWKIWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2014 at 6:31pm
SNOWKIWI View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Capt Asparagus Capt Asparagus wrote:

The paerengarenga plant basically went bust because they were sold an inappropriate system by the consultant they got when setting up the farm. Being Danish he recommended a zippiddy-doodah Danish system, which they duly installed, only to realise afterwards that a fish farm for fattening eels , as it was designed for, was useless for kingfish.
Sorry, not "useless", but rather, cripplingly inefficient, hence going bust.
Had they used a Japanese system instead of being sold a pup by their Danish "expert" then they would have been fine.
Thats very interesting Captain! One would think that the people that were buying the "system" would have done their "Market Research", on what was available, how appropriate it was for their chosen application, and how well it was going to achieve their desired result.  Lets hope the one they are looking at for Whangarei, is tried and proven, not only overseas, but in Godzone!!!Wink
It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing, by people who can't fish.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2014 at 6:55pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This might be part of the current NIWA aquaculture plant which may have been operating in the area for some time, but isn't well known and may have been for research and then breeding versus full time fish farming for export.
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2014 at 8:18am
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Not to be a kill joy but didn't they try this already at Ruakaka and had to release a heap of fish? or am I mistaken?
I cringe when I see things like "A market demand study into the product is in draft stage with the full report, funded by Northland Regional Council's Growth and Investment Reserve, due in coming days."
If industry thinks it's a good investment it will be successful, if they are looking for a handout from local government or John Key then it's doomed, and the rate payers and tax payers will foot the bill for the failure.

But then maybe I am wrong and just a big skeptic.
slowly going where everyone else has already been
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Eastender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2014 at 12:20pm
Eastender View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The article is about NIWA's aquaculture operation in Ruakaka, and is about NIWA trying to find a commercial partner to start a kingfish/hapuku farm at their facility. I can't see anywhere in the article that any one has put their hand up?

The farm that went bust was up at Parengarenga, and as been mentioned failed because the pumping system wasn't up to scratch, as well as the fact that the economics of kingfish as an aquaculture species are fairly dodgy, given the capital required to start a farm and that there is a large wild fishery (rightly or wrongly).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2014 at 3:20pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I do realise what the article is about, and my point was why are our tax and rates dollars once again going in to this.
Has the paua farm made any money yet?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2014 at 3:34pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/northern-advocate/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503450&objectid=10940445
This link from 2006 confirms what I was saying that the fingerlings did in fact come from the Bream Bay Niwa farm, seems to me blaming the Danes was a cop out. If this was a good idea large corporations would have been queing up. What this smacks of is a desperate attempt for a very few to justify their existence and jobs and tax and ratepayers mponey, speaking of which the balance sheet of Northland Inc makes interesting readingLOL

Just my opinion of course. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2014 at 5:01pm
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

so this operation is purely to breed the fish and then sell more farmed fish to the public right?
It has already been proven that the nutritional composition of farmed salmon is nothing compared to wild caught salmon......wonder how it would effect the composition of kingfish meat i wonder......
I just wish the government would subsidize the breeding of snapper and kingfish from juveniles and then release them into the wild..........they could even cream off the commercial a bit to fund it.......If they did that and released into the gulf ......NZ could have stocks for years to come.......otherwise i reckon there will be a slow but steady decline over the years of these two iconic nz fish.......kings are already nothing like they used to be......how viable is this idea?.......they had pah farm before.
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Eastender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2014 at 6:35pm
Eastender View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Tonto2 Tonto2 wrote:

If this was a good idea large corporations would have been queing up. What this smacks of is a desperate attempt for a very few to justify their existence and jobs and tax and ratepayers

Yep that hit the nail on the head, although I would put more as a research institute drumming up commercial interest in potential partnerships with their facility.

Originally posted by Tonto2 Tonto2 wrote:

I do realise what the article is about, and my point was why are our tax and rates dollars once again going in to this.
Has the paua farm made any money yet?

I guess the payoff for the tax dollars spent by niwa researching kingfish breeding would be either becoming a commercial supplier of fingerlings to industry or selling the know how.

I could be wrong, but the last I heard after a few bumpy years the Paua operation (Ocean Blue) is paying it's way.

I'm in no way affiliated with niwa, just have a mate who helps out with the hapuku breeding program.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Eastender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2014 at 6:41pm
Eastender View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by laidbackdood laidbackdood wrote:

I just wish the government would subsidize the breeding of snapper and kingfish from juveniles and then release them into the wild..........they could even cream off the commercial a bit to fund it.......If they did that and released into the gulf ......NZ could have stocks for years to come.......otherwise i reckon there will be a slow but steady decline over the years of these two iconic nz fish.......kings are already nothing like they used to be......how viable is this idea?.......they had pah farm before.

I'm not sure how well hatchery reared fish would do in the wild? Bit like leaving a city kid to fend for himself in the bush. But I would happily donate my tax dollars to find out if I had the choice.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2014 at 7:39pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Would love to know how many $ we have sunk into this the article above was from 06 that suggests we have been funding this for well over a decade with sweet fa to show for it. They quote 60 mil pa as the potential turnover but what would the profit be if they ever got there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2014 at 9:05pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Eastender Eastender wrote:

Originally posted by laidbackdood laidbackdood wrote:

I'm not sure how well hatchery reared fish would do in the wild? Bit like leaving a city kid to fend for himself in the bush. But I would happily donate my tax dollars to find out if I had the choice.

They felt the same way with the Kingfish hatchery at Pah Farm Kawau is, but they reckon the fish learnt very fast, obviously a percentage of their siblings and mates lost to predators.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2014 at 3:25pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

they are also up against some of the best Kingfish hatcheries in the world, Japan has been doing it for years and we are talking thousands of tonnes, how the hell they thing they can compete with them will be interesting...
Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing