Went to the Pub....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote corosanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Went to the Pub....
    Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 2:09pm
corosanta View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

And I walked into this bar that was full of fishing type dudes (both Comm & Rec) and we all had a drink and then we talked and discussed stuff that affected us all.

Like how's the fishing, where are the fish, how's the missus, is the financial situation getting worse for us all, and local politics and the stupidity of the government in general and sex and then we told jokes.

My point; this was your typical 'Briny Bar'. No subject was excluded and the content was governed by the company that surrounded us, so why cannot this Briny Bar be the same?

Who draws the line between what is politics and what is not? Is local (mostly Auckland) politics politics or not? Shouldn't the humour lot have it's own forum?

Like most (I guess) I visit the Briny Bar as part of my daily internet experience. And that is all I visit on this site. If it's not here, then I'm sorry, I not that interested in it.

Take me out if you wish, I just feel that things have become too PC for many.
Sitndrinkntalknbullman
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 5:43pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Well it's like this, we need to have some controls or we will lose sight of the fact that this is a FISHING website.

None of us mods mind things going a little sideways at times. I'm about as un PC as it it's possible to get BUT I do have standards to uphold. Having one of our many forums being taken over by a vocal few can be annoying to many others and turn people away so it's always a balancing act.

Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote SNOWKIWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 6:12pm
SNOWKIWI View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

""My point; this was your typical 'Briny Bar'. No subject was excluded and the content was governed by the company that surrounded us, so why cannot this Briny Bar be the same?""
I think it is the same! When you are in the bar, you have ""Moderators"" in the form of the Bar Manager and the people that work in the bar. They will allow the bar to run,  "No subject was excluded and the content was governed by the company that surrounded us", until topics and the way they are discussed, start to have a detrimental affect on the general atmosphere in the bar, and the generally accepted standards of the patrons. They will then have a quiet word in the ""offenders"" ear! If the person / persons do not modify their ""behaviour"", they will be evicted.... from ""the bar"" 

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing, by people who can't fish.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 1:30am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Difficulty is Snowkiwi as I see it is we are not in a pub. I was at the fishing club having a beer on Sunday and is as you describe and what I would expect and people behaving badly are soon shut down by the group - however here we are online with guys/partners/wives/kids using PCs that they use as well and so on . This is a public forum - more like being a TV channel really or like old days when you shared a phone line with several households and what that entailed?
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote EditB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 4:40am
EditB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Unlike a pub, people will say things on an online forum they may not necessarily say in person & you can't read the subtleties of body language to gauge if a conversation is heading the wrong the way.
I do not lie about fishing, I willingly participate in a campaign of misinformation.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SNOWKIWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 5:56am
SNOWKIWI View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I think I may have been misunderstood! What I am saying is, "Yes, I agree with smudge, we have and as has been proven in the past, need, moderators to keep control, this works in the same way as a well run bar!
It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing, by people who can't fish.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fozzie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 7:35am
fozzie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yep, fights never break out in bars eh?Wink

Dont take life too seriously.....no one gets out alive any way.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 8:52am
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by fozzie fozzie wrote:

Yep, fights never break out in bars eh?Wink

Isn't that why they pulled down the Orewa tavern
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corosanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 9:49am
corosanta View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I agree with you all regarding controls and controllers and as you say these things tend to be covered by management (or regulars) as they are here. I just think it's a shame that so many good topics have to be relegated to sub-forums for what ever reason and it is there that they loose their impetus.

And still remains as to what forum do certain topics belong to (specially politics, both local or national) as in my first statement. For instance, is a thread on what someone saw a trawler do at sea belong in the Fish Managment?

Just asking, not looking to pick faults.

Sitndrinkntalknbullman
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raging Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 10:07am
Raging Bull View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt
Big Sexy

Problem is you can't please everyone. What's political and what's not is really at the discretion of the mods at the end of the day. I think rather than blanket rules that dictate anything political has to go in the political thread, moderators are generally happy to leave posts where they are if they are not causing any harm or upsetting anyone (well maybe not anyone, some people tend to get upset about everything). In the past there has been some posts that were dominated by a few and being replicated and clogging up the front page of the briney bar, which is not cool. If that becomes the case we can move topics if need be, if it's not an ongoing thing it will soon dissappear off the front pages and if it is a topic that is generating healthy discussion then I don't see a problem with leaving it. So although we have rules/guidelines I don't think there is a need to be black and white, some common sense and flexibility go a long way. Like the pub you were in, were there any drunk people in there? The rules say you can't serve drunks!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 10:22am
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

For me, posts regarding trawlers being sighted in certain areas, or dumping fish, or other interesting and or alarming things are fine in the briney bar. However, if and when they devolve into calls for national protest, long turgid posts regarding section 9 sub clause Cii(a) and so on, it starts heading into the politics or more correctly now we have it, the fisheries management forums.
If it is a post about something read in a newspaper or online or something, then that should be in the news or fisheries management forums.
If you use the New Posts button to refresh your page all new posts, no matter what forum they are in, will pop up on screen, so having posts going in non briney bar forums is pretty much as visible.
It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corosanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 12:23pm
corosanta View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

"Like the pub you were in, were there any drunk people in there? The rules say you can't serve drunks!"

There were no drunks in there but not because of the rules, more likely because none of us had drunk enough. This will be fixed next time, rules or not.
Sitndrinkntalknbullman
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Godders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 3:43pm
Godders View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

If I walked into a pub and saw snowkiwis picture I would say how you doin.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 4:24pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by corosanta corosanta wrote:

There were no drunks in there but not because of the rules, more likely because none of us had drunk enough. This will be fixed next time, rules or not.
Now I reckon that's why they invented lateral thinking~~you're onto it CoroBig smilebut, you need to take the blinkers off & have a tour of what's on offer here.

IMHO, the Briney Bar is in much better "health" since the politics sub-section came into play.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote eynon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 4:32pm
eynon View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Went to the pub... everybody got drunk and we all had a wonderful time.. the end.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jabba400 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2014 at 9:32am
Jabba400 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Because no fun story ever started with "There I was, eating my salad and drinking my fruit juice..."
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corosanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2014 at 10:06am
corosanta View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

"..... the Briney Bar is in much better "health" since the politics sub-section came into play."

Sad to think that I've been visiting an 'unhealthy' site for so long. Must get my security settings looked at.Beer
Sitndrinkntalknbullman
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2014 at 11:18am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

We may not always agree with the decisions or actions of the mods, however they do not claim
to be infallible & it must be remembered they perform an essential function, albeit unpaid mostly
thankless task, that few of us would care to devote as much time to as they do.

PS is that enough to get me released from the stocks ?
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Olfart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2014 at 11:23am
Olfart View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Aaawww gee Bazza....Why do you want to change your avatar - just as we are getting used to it...? I would have thought your self-confessed muppetry this morning is sufficient reason not to have it changed just yet!   LOL
Semper in excreta sumus, solum profundum variat....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2014 at 11:33am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Olfart Olfart wrote:

Aaawww gee Bazza....Why do you want to change your avatar - just as we are getting used to it...? I would have thought your self-confessed muppetry this morning is sufficient reason not to have it changed just yet!   LOL

"I plead guilty M' Lud".

When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!