Wood fired pizza ovens

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AndreA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wood fired pizza ovens
    Posted: 26 Oct 2014 at 3:58pm
AndreA View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Seen as it's almost Christmas & I like to buy myself a present that I want.
Im looking @ one of the cheaper range(around the $1000 area) of wood fired pizza ovens in bunnings.
Has any one got one of these?
If so what are your thoughts on them?
Yeah I could post this in the kitchen thread part but thought a lot more people check out the briny bar thread.
Thanks
f*#k it all & f*#king no regrets
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2014 at 5:46pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I was looking at them... even thought about making one....asked a few people who have them....basically comes down to once the novelty wears off dont use... except occasionally as a fire place with friends on a summer evening... and the bragging rights as to having one.
Another friend has brought a unit that goes in his big bbq.. no waiting to heat up etc....works well, less attention.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AndreA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2014 at 7:51pm
AndreA View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

I was looking at them... even thought about making one....asked a few people who have them....basically comes down to once the novelty wears off dont use... except occasionally as a fire place with friends on a summer evening... and the bragging rights as to having one.
Another friend has brought a unit that goes in his big bbq.. no waiting to heat up etc....works well, less attention.

Thanks for your reply.
I have no skills to make one & definetly agree once the novelty wears off just another thing to gather dust a bit like our spa pool.
Think I will still get one.The tonala clay one they have @ Bunnings catalogue caught my eye & I had a look @ the you tube demo they look ok.Have not seen one yet as last time I was in Bunnings they were waitng on there delivery of them.
Will be home on Friday so will make my descision then.
Will update if anybody is interested in hearing about it.
If anyone is interested here is the link for the tonala pizza oven.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=agEufjIilqs
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spectrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2014 at 8:13pm
Spectrum View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

i have one built it myself cost about 400 for all materials easy as to make just watch a few videos and have a crack !we use ours about once a month on average and it is great 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AndreA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2014 at 8:26pm
AndreA View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Spectrum Spectrum wrote:

i have one built it myself cost about 400 for all materials easy as to make just watch a few videos and have a crack !we use ours about once a month on average and it is great 

I seriously have very limited DIY skills.There are some things I best leave to the experts or someone with better handy man skills than I have.
I got a wheel barrow recently that the wife & I put together took us a couple hours but @ least it gave us & the neighbours a good laugh.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote skidoggg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2014 at 8:27pm
skidoggg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

just come grab one from Auckland the council doesnt want any fires up here anymore coz they make too much pollution not like the smoke frome the aussie bush fires that make it over here or the smog from cars n factories etc lol
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote A LOAF OF BREAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2014 at 8:44pm
A LOAF OF BREAD View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by zappakat zappakat wrote:

I got a wheel barrow recently that the wife & I put together took us a couple hours but @ least it gave us & the neighbours a good laugh.

Post a pic of the barrow. Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AndreA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2014 at 9:02pm
AndreA View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by A LOAF OF BREAD A LOAF OF BREAD wrote:

Post a pic of the barrow. Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.
<!-- bmi_SafeAddOnload(bmi_load,"bmi_orig_img",0);//-->

Haha the barrow came out ok & is still in use but have noticed a few bits that need tightening
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jiggy Jig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2014 at 10:01pm
Jiggy Jig View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Standing in the rain making pizza doesn't sound like my idea of fun ............Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 9:42am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Spectrum Spectrum wrote:

I seriously have very limited DIY skills.There are some things I best leave to the experts or someone with better handy man skills than I have.

I dispute that....espec these days with google and u tube
It is not you..
1/ ask questions....and the more 'stupid' ones the better and listen
2/ Get the right tools... generally acquiring these u get a pro job  at a little less than pro price, and have a equipped workshop.
3/ confidence.

The down side to the above is most younger 'trades' people dont know the basics and cant pass them on...
like why his a open end spanner offset?.....and they get it wrong.....
And have never during apprenticeships had the boss set up a torque bench...how many even know what one is now?

Stupid questions... goes like this... back in the class room , the little nerd who asked them all the time learnt.. the guys down the back...gave him a hard time... even thu they usually didnt have a clue themselves.... now the nerd is the guys down the back boss earning 3 times their salary.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Monty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 10:10am
Monty View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Jiggy Jig Jiggy Jig wrote:

Standing in the rain making pizza doesn't sound like my idea of fun ............Wink

Me too! Smile I just make em on a tray and in the oven, got to buy some of those pizza cooking trays, because my bases are mainly soft and if I thin it down I get burnt, yuk LOL

Good luck on getting the right one for your enjoyment.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 10:19am
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I brought one of the round lift the lid ones that plug in the wall and sits on the bench. Got it at the food show, works great.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spectrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 1:14pm
Spectrum View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Monty Monty wrote:

Originally posted by Jiggy Jig Jiggy Jig wrote:

Me too! Smile I just make em on a tray and in the oven, got to buy some of those pizza cooking trays, because my bases are mainly soft and if I thin it down I get burnt, yuk LOL

Good luck on getting the right one for your enjoyment.

They don't just make good pizza . I can taste the smokey manuka goodness just looking at the photos something you will never get in your home oven

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 9:16pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just made a cauliflower base pizza tonight for the first time. Not bad but I'd add chilli to the base also. The topping is just extra. Yum
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote miktaras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2014 at 6:24am
miktaras View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Bro in law made one, hes not the handiest man in the country. Looks awesome and delivers the meanest home made pizzas. Youll never waster your money and pizza hut or dominos again. Gets well used and is a great social occasion as people can make their own pizza (simply by adding toppings) and then watch it get cooked by Mario haha.
Will get one myself as soon as sort out the landscaping in the yard.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2014 at 8:07am
the angler View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My neighbour built a real nice one went the whole hog , it's bloody amazing he gets the whole road down for pizza nights everyone brings a few different toppings and a few beers it's fun the pizzas literally only take seconds to cook .
He also made a concrete quarter pipe on his driveway for dad to impress the kids with his skateboarding skills after a few steinys.
If you are a social animal I recommend them as a great alternative to a bbq as you can cook basically anything in them once they are up too heat .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2014 at 10:03am
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I was going to build one years ago and had all of the plans ready to go and then I was looking at large garden pots to form a mould for the dome and came up with this option that I have been using ever since.

Just heat it up empty for 30 minutes on full bore then turn down to low and put pizzas in for 5 mins for pizzas that go crunch!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GSPOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2014 at 10:52am
GSPOT View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

^^That's some ingencunningness right there
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2014 at 1:32pm
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If it works - it works! I have done 29 in one session and fed a lot of people.

its a lot easier that mixing concrete.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AndreA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2014 at 8:05pm
AndreA View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Joker Joker wrote:

If it works - it works! I have done 29 in one session and fed a lot of people.

its a lot easier that mixing concrete.

Pretty good idea there joker.
I would build one but I think it will end up a pile of bricks on the lawn.
I do admire the cleaver buggers out there that can look @ somethink & then build it.I have tried various minor DIY tasks before but most been condemned to the bin or needing someone to fix my disasters.
Page  12>