Hangi stones, what and where

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote like_to_strike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hangi stones, what and where
    Posted: 25 Oct 2014 at 9:05pm
like_to_strike View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just after some info for the whangarei area.

My family is dead keen to start a family tradition for xmas, already have the baskets so figured why not put a hangi down right?

Im in the whangarei area and am keen to hunt out my own stones, but have no real idea what im looking for.

If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

What sort of stone am I looking for? I know round is better for retaining heat.

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mowerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2014 at 9:11pm
mowerman View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

try railway track iron steel.They don't explode and retain heat well
The People Protest

Actions Speak Louder Than Words    
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terry66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2014 at 10:37pm
terry66 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

yep rail irons are awesome!! Been to many good hangis that used them
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Juan night only Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2014 at 11:52pm
Juan night only View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yeah snag some nice round river stones, just take walks along a creek with a backpack, wont take too many walks to get enough :) make sure they haven't been in sea water cause those ones like to explode.

Rail irons are good but I prefer stones.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2014 at 7:48am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Traditional Hangi stones are carefully looked after... selected river stones that have been used many times with those that have air pockets in them , having cracked and broken, long discarded.
Another critical part is that the hole is cleaned out of all ash.. a common mistake.. and one why ppl now tend to go for the modded beer keg method.

For Traditional, also consider the old Robin Hood style hogget on a spit....feed 35 to 40 ppl
Approx 3 1/2 hrs from set up to carving, and uses approx 3x 20L pails of soft wood / pine kindling
If possible for best results, get hung for a week, marinate for 24hrs (bath tub works well) use your imagination on the marinate.. using a L&P Worcestershire sauce as base....and baste well during cooking.
Basically cook as if old school cooking over camp fire, just keep enough wood on for a small flame , just enough to kill the smoke.

I have been doing several of these a yr for over 30 yrs, now my sons ans son in law also do them.
Pig is good, but takes a good 6 to 8 hrs

Do not use hard wood.. manuka etc.. they have far too much heat.. dries the fats out of the meat causing early flare ups and a dry finished product with still uncooked meat in the shoulders and rump.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2014 at 10:46am
cosmo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

head down the bay of plenty for old railway lines round whakatane,kawerau they not doing anything any more
i just want to go fishing..........amd ignore all my adult problems
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote like_to_strike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2014 at 11:45am
Platinum
Platinum

Dam that pigs got me drooling Steps, might look into that too. already have access to drums too.

guess ill just get a selection of stones and test fire them and see what holds up and what holds heat better.

I was told the stones on the stone walls built during the depression are suitable? obviously wouldn't take them from the walls but the surrounding areas are littered with them, or best with round river stones? I do know where some are bit its an hour and a half away in the mangamukas, just prefer to collect from nearer than far.

cheers, the creative juices are definitely flowing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cigar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2014 at 2:12pm
Cigar View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

The old brake shoes off railway carriages work well, and they even have holes in them for lifting them out of the fire. I have also seen short lengths of heavy chain used, though I imagine they would cool down very quick.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Juan night only Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2014 at 2:47pm
Juan night only View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by like_to_strike like_to_strike wrote:

I was told the stones on the stone walls built during the depression are suitable?

Is that what the wall along Maruata Rd is?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote like_to_strike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2014 at 11:01pm
Platinum
Platinum

More than likely, all out maunu and kamo too

a lot were built for aesthetics though
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 12:38am
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Food Safety practices in preparing and cooking a hangi

http://foodsmart.govt.nz/elibrary/food-safety-practices-hangi-guide/index.htm

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 7:58am
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Rivers stones at the landscape yard,most come from way down Sth now ,get some bigones in the mix just hand select them
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raumatibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 8:23am
Raumatibeach View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great idea for a family tradition, I know who does one every new years day. One year it rained pretty heavily after they put the hang down and it turned out to be the best one yet when they dug it up. 
He used brake shoes off a steam train, no idea where he found them but they were heavy as hell. 
As other have mentioned the ashes clean out is really important, he used to get down in the hole with a thick pair of gloves and get every last ember out.
Get off my lawn....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 9:31am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That is a hogget in the pic... Sons engagement party.....
The last one was a couple months back an annual event the Car club annual mid winter xmas party.
Total costs for 40 ppl.. including home made roast spuds kumura, pumkin, galic... peas carrots broccolli and deseart  home made apple crumble pie  cream and ice cream   $370
That included everything down to the marinate and wood.
We use proper plates knives forks.. more civilised and at the end of the day less work mess ...except for desert.
And still left overs for ppl to take home
Labour:
Basically its one person on the spit, the Wife and one of the wives do the kitchen and husband helps clean up tidy the shed, quick sweep around with the petrol water blaster.

Also the spit gives 'atmosphere'  and there 2x 12 gal drum 1/2s are split , used as camp fires for the evening....

A hangi has a lot more work and a lot more ppl ....and bigger clean up.

Just a few experienced observations from over the yrs.

The joiners that bolt between the rail lines are what u are looking for....the bolt holes makes thenm easy to 'handle' drag out .. and hold the heat better than river rocks

And I repeat.. caution using 'un cured' 'virgin' rocks... they tend to explode unexpectadly....so I strongly suggest  pre fire them well before the day.... a hole in the ground, small tunnel, a vaccuum cleaner that has a blow function, and deseil dripping from a pipe does the trick very well.....and get that right, along with a few manuka logs on the day .....makes an impressive heat source without taint....get it wrong  ......

All of the above is from 40yrs of personal hand on experience.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 9:49am
Nomis View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

bits of cast iron are better than stones bro. Rail way line etc
I'll act my age when im 69
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2014 at 1:14pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by mowerman mowerman wrote:

try railway track iron steel.They don't explode and retain heat well

Yep. That is what my in laws Use. Chopped up railway iron.
Legasea Legend Member