Lifejackets become compulsory on small boats

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingfishers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lifejackets become compulsory on small boats
    Posted: 25 Oct 2014 at 8:39am
kingfishers View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Auckland.

The council bylaw comes into force on today – just in time for Labour weekend - and is intended to ramp up safety for boaties in the region.

It will now be an offence for anyone to be in charge of a vessel while intoxicated from booze or drugs.

And people on small boats – 6m long or less – will need to don lifejackets unless the skipper says otherwise.

It is also now compulsory to carry a communication device, such as a radio, mobile phone, distress beacon or flare, on board.

The council says it will be visiting boat ramps and jetties around the region to make sure people are on board with the rules.

It was all too common to hear that someone had drowned after not wearing a lifejacket, Councillor Calum Penrose said.

"Our message to anyone going out in a boat is to take a lifejacket and wear it. It's not going to save your life if you don't have it on."

The lifejacket law change was met with opposition from boaties, many of whom found the proposal too restrictive.

The bylaw follows similar moves by other councils around the country including Hawke's Bay Regional Council, which has begun handing out $300 fines to boaties not wearing lifejackets.

Of the 113 who drowned while boating between 2007 and 2013, 46 had access to flotation devices but did not use them.

Water the changes?

Compulsory to wear a lifejacket on a 6m or smaller boat - unless skipper gives permission not to
Compulsory to carry a communication device
Illegal to be in charge of a boat if intoxicated from alcohol or drugs
Different management systems for moorings.

As seen on 3news
"My mind has gone fishing, ask all questions tomorrow"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2014 at 11:37am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This new bylaw that comes into effect in the Auckland Region - what area does this cover? Thanks
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2014 at 12:01pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Similar bylaws are already in place in Waikato.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2014 at 12:20pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Kevin S. Lovely day out there today shame Manukau bar is rough still.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Tone E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2014 at 12:43pm
Tone E View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Couple of questions...
Who is policing this...Harbour master or police?
Regards intoxication...same threshold as driving a car? and I assume only the police can enforce this one
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingfishers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2014 at 3:24pm
Platinum
Platinum

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingfishers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2014 at 3:25pm
Platinum
Platinum

The information is confusing.. there was already a law regarding the same, which i beleive came effect some time around april..!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2014 at 9:22am
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Can anybody find a maps showing the various regional council's maritime boundaries, i.e where in the Firth of Thames is the boundary between Waikato and Auckland regions and same for Norhland vs Auckalnd , Waikato Vs BOp etc, also how far offshore do regional council's bylaws apply, 12 mile limit etc. This is important for gamefisherman, or for Aucklanders who launch in Auckland Region but motor across to Coromandel to fish so will be fishing in the Waikato with different rules.

It really pisses me off the regional council's setting their own bylaws, the rules should be a NZ wide set of rules. I just see this as another example of Central Government divesting responsibility for something to the regions with no funding assistance to the regions for this extra work, our taxes don't decrease but regional rates will slowly climb over time. I sometimes wonder why we actually need central government. You wait I bet within ten or 15 years cities like Auckland will have their own police departments like they do in the USA.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Olfart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2014 at 9:32am
Olfart View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If you are right...then you can sit back and watch your rates bill rocket into the stratosphere!
I think with the current rates increases being mooted there will be a big outflow of people moving out of the Auckland region.  Maybe that is what the big wigs are wanting so house prices will trend downwards again?

Semper in excreta sumus, solum profundum variat....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Monty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2014 at 9:53am
Monty View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We always;
1. wear lifejackets in our little Mac 360,
2. have a cell in waterproof cover and an in date flare box,
3. no booze in our little boat.

Done to easy, but you cant control what the McDonald shoe wearing brigade will do out there Clown

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2014 at 10:43am
cosmo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yes but if theres a huge outflow out of Auckland the rates will have to increase further to be able to provide the services needed.one of the reasons for the super city was that Auckland city itself could not support its self but you bring everyone together and all of a sudden you have people in whangaparoa and waiuku,pukekohe funding Auckland central and for no extra benefit and it works
i just want to go fishing..........amd ignore all my adult problems
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Olfart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2014 at 11:15am
Olfart View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The reason why Auckland could not support itself  - which lead to the creation of the Super City - was that none of the then existing Councils could agree on how "essential works" were to be funded when to all intents and purposes those "essential works" gave no direct benefit to the satellite Councils and their ratepayers.  We were sold a myth that being bigger would be better and cheaper for all...
Kingfishers....my apologies for hijacking your thread....Ermm
Semper in excreta sumus, solum profundum variat....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote corosanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2014 at 12:37pm
corosanta View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

For goodness sake, get over it Auckland. Most Councils have had similar laws in place for years. These are By-Laws. They are policed by ordinary nice sods like me who are employed as Harbour Masters or more often now, Harbour Wardens who act under the umbrella of their local Harbour Master's office.

Done right, it is a very rewarding passtime for us by helping fellow boaties. We DO NOT GET PAID HEAPS. I doubt you'd even notice the little pebble in your overall rates bill.

And it has to be said, that the message is finally getting out there; even have people now complaining about other boaties carrying no visible PDF's while kids are on board.

This is just part of the great over-protected, over regulated, Politically Correct, Brave New World that all the latest batch of Pollies have shovelled at us. Seen it all before in different fashions and will live to see it all happen again.

Happy boating everyone.

Sitndrinkntalknbullman
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2014 at 4:57pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

gt barrier would be in auckland as it is administered by auckland.scrub all  local by laws and just have one law covering all,maritime new zealand should work this out.
whats the fine for not compiling?whats the alcohol limit?
only good outcome is it puts the blame on the skipper no one else! how does it work in a partnership deal?