Free to a good home!!!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SNOWKIWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Free to a good home!!!
    Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 6:53pm
SNOWKIWI View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Smile I have a spare copy of "The Ten Thumbed Beginners Guide to Fly Tying" by Hugh McDowell that turned up with some bulk stuff I ordered from Trademe, I am sure that I have a couple of vices lying around that might suit someone that wants to get into fly tying. P.M. Me if you want them !!!Big smile
It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing, by people who can't fish.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 7:45pm
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice gesture mate!Thumbs Up
"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2014 at 7:59am
Pole Dancer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Agreed Kev, Great Gesture. It could become a collectors item that one, although there were so many reprints it may take a while, a tribute to the useful information in the book. Hugh was a legend and a damn fine bloke and angler. 

I knew him from about the age of 15, I'm 50 now. He was a hard taskmaster, it seems in the early days I was just a "trumped up little ****" and he seemed to criticize everything I tied... but he made me strive harder and harder to get his approval. It took about 20 years, but the day he paid me a compliment I was over the moon. Later, after Hugh's death Tony Entwistle, who knew him better than me, confided he had a fair measure of respect for me, he just knew being hard on me would help and it did.

Rest In Peace old mate... and someone snap up that book! It's a cracker.

This photo is of the last time I saw Hugh, Peter Carty and I called into see him at Ngongataha home, he knew he didn't have long, but his famous Irish wit was as strong as ever.

www.clarkreid.co.nz   FFF Certified Casting Instructor / Umpqua Designer Tier
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SNOWKIWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2014 at 3:07pm
SNOWKIWI View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks for your interesting comments Clark, that book started me off tying, an interest that I have had for some time now, and will have for life.
It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing, by people who can't fish.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2014 at 10:57am
Pole Dancer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thumbs Up
www.clarkreid.co.nz   FFF Certified Casting Instructor / Umpqua Designer Tier