Buccaneer and seaforce owners

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nickfixit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buccaneer and seaforce owners
    Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 2:27pm
Nickfixit View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey guys

Am in the market for a new boat and have narrowed it down to a used buccaneer 525 or 550 or a seaforce 530. Have around $30k to spend. 

Firstly, I would like to hear from people who own or who have owned one of these boats and to hear what they think about them, pros and cons. Also would be interested in knowing if you ever beach launch your craft at places like hatfields, stanmore, arkles, etc as I often do this in my current boat and would like to continue doing so with the new one..

Secondly, if you have one you want to sell or know someone who is, PM me. 

I mostly do snapper fishing in the gulf with a buddy and/or my 4 yo son but in the summer often just have beach days with wife and daughter and some of our kids mates and their families where we biscuit, ski etc. Will do occasional overnighters with the kids too, particularly my 4yo. So not after a full on fishing boat, need more of a compromise, hence why chosen between the above boats. 

Will be doing a sea trial in a buccaneer 525 billfisher soon and hopefully a seaforce 530 as well but before I do would be very keen on your own experiences with these boats

Cheers

Nick
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 2:41pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Used to have the 470 Esprite with 70hp Johnson, mate had a 550 with 115hp Yamaha, great hulls very similar to Haines Hunter, highly recommend. If you can afford the 550 is bigger and better all around boat than the 525.
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FTBucco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 8:33pm
FTBucco View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi there Nickfixit - I am a happy owner of a 2006 Buccaneer 550, with Yam 2strk 115. My kids are 13 & 8 and love the cabin space, sleep potential etc. but as for launching it, I have only ever done boat ramps, often alone, piece of piss. You asked about a solo beach launch; not without a tractor or 4WD or a mate and a long rope off the trailer I'd reckon - unless the wind was nil and tide high, it is heavy and could get you in trouble trying to handle at shallow bays like you have around Whangaparoa. Don't know it's exact weight but with a 165 litre underfloor tank and a heavy motor out back - it won't hold a candle to throwing in an alloy boat. I know, I used to share ownership of a Ramco 550. The Buccaneer is a Grouse boat for the multipurpose use you are thinking of, family don't get flung about, it's a dry hull - and no it's not for sale!
Unless you've already found your target vessel to buy, go chat with John Pounder at Rogers Boatshop in Albany. What he doesn't know about these boats probably ain't worth knowing!
Have fun looking, cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nickfixit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 9:16pm
Nickfixit View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks ftbucco.

My thoughts for solo beach launch would be unhitch trailer, push trailer into water, push boat off, push boat out to knee-waist deep and set anchor, use rope to pull out trailer, park up tow vehicle. Retrieving I guess would just be a reverse of that if the tide is out but if enough slope can do it with trailer still hitched up. You reckon that would work?

I'm pretty sold on the buccaneers, just not sure if I should get a 525 or a slightly older 550. If I had the money id get a 565 billfisher, love the walk around on the bow

Keen to hear from other buch owners

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Photofisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 9:48pm
Photofisha View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

A friend of mine has the 525 with a 115 on the back and there is no way i can see you pushing it into the tide (Beach launch) on your own let alone with a couple of mates,they are heavy and will bog down before you know it.
Just my thoughts after feeling the weight of his even just holding it at the ramp solo.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nickfixit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 12:19am
Nickfixit View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Photofisha What's it like to ride in compared to other boats you've been on?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 7:29am
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Nickfixit Nickfixit wrote:

Thanks ftbucco.

My thoughts for solo beach launch would be unhitch trailer, push trailer into water, push boat off, push boat out to knee-waist deep and set anchor, use rope to pull out trailer, park up tow vehicle. Retrieving I guess would just be a reverse of that if the tide is out but if enough slope can do it with trailer still hitched up. You reckon that would work?

I use this method for my 15' tinny and is a piece of cake solo BUT a mate has a Haines 535 and I wouldn't even think about trying it with 3 mates let alone solo (it needed 4 of us to do this launch method with a 6m Ramco a few years back). 
You can never have enough fishing tackle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote junior fisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 7:40am
junior fisho View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have a 550 Billfisher with a 135 and its a good boat. Often take  5 out. 2 with dive gear. I can beach launch it solo with a tractor at a very shallow beach no problems. Very handy being a walk around
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 8:25am
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The buccaneer is a good boat but those seaforce 530 are a great boat as well . Built for fishing and diving with plenty of room, easy to use and very well priced. Just a bit had to come by.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 9:27am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

there is a dealer in silverdale auckland who handles seaforce boats,cannot think of company?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 9:29am
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

there is a dealer in silverdale auckland who handles seaforce boats,cannot think of company?

Mike's Marine
You can never have enough fishing tackle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote powerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2014 at 8:41am
powerman View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

hi i have a seaforce 600 fisherman.it has been a great family boat with all the bells and whistles.  We have been thinking about down sizing and if you want to contact me on: 0274339854.  Has a new Lowrance sounder/GPS and 115 Mercury four-stroke.  Sounds like this could be in your price range.  We are located on The North Shore - Auckland
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2014 at 8:52am
feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

+ 1 for the Seaforce 600, have had one of these for nearly a decade, clocked up 1050 hrs done over 500 crossings of a notorious west coast bar, for it's size pretty much unbeatable.

Cheers
The only bar to frequent is the Kawhia Bar
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Photofisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2014 at 9:45am
Photofisha View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Its a good ride for its length im sure due to the weight and being glass is quieter less banging than most alloys of been on of comparable size.
Gets up and goes with that motor which is a 2 stroke.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote powerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2014 at 2:25pm
powerman View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

our seaforce 600 fisherman is easily launched from the beach they are very lite for size.i usualy launch at big manly solo.it has a realy dry soft ride even in the rough and the merc four stroke so cheep to run,and is in very good nic.if you wont to have a look my number is above.it won trailer boat under six meters of the show a few years back and has a real good review somwhere on this site
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nickfixit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2014 at 11:46pm
Nickfixit View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Powerman I've sent you a pm
Also do you know how many kms it can do per litre at normal speed? Also what is your normal speed?