Gifts from Japan

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Southern_Jez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gifts from Japan
    Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 7:17pm
Southern_Jez View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

My wife just got back from a couple of weeks holiday in Japan ... as requested she bought me some Japanese fishing tackle that fitted the description "...around 40gm, sharp hooks, and something different ...". My mother-in-law had sent over some 40gm knife jigs previously which worked well on cod, so my wife had an idea of what I was after.

from left to right:
40gm knife jig ... got about 10 of them, 100yen each ($1.33)
40gm flat fall (similar to daiwa knuckles) ... another 10 of them at 200yen each ($2.66)
40gm short flat fall (similar to those coltsnipers) ... 5 of them at 576yen each ($8)
40gm flat fall (like the coltsniper long) ... 2 of them at 612 yen ($8.50)
90gm Shimano Engetsu ... looks like a Kabura 1175yen ($15)
160gm Bottom Ship ... 1175yen ($15)
along the bottom, a random 150gm jig ... labelled as a "Drag Jig", might use that to tease some Groper down this way, or in place of a sinker ... at 100yen ($1.33) each they are cheaper than lead ...

I will remove the trebles cause they tend to grab on to the bottom when chasing cod. Hoping the ones on the left work well, at those prices the only thing stopping me bringing in boxes of them is the cost of shipping due to weight.

Would be interested in those Shimano Engetsu and why are they not available here yet, however if they are that price in Japan I would hate to think what they might mark them up to over here .... iit doesnt show up on those photos, but all the white areas on the shimanos glow in the dark.

Just waiting on the weather to settle now ... the only downside of Southland ;)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 8:21pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

God I just love getting new toys! Yonks ago my Dad was spending months a year in Canada, and when he came back he'd bring all sorts of lures from over there that we'd never see here... All sorts of Firefox lures, soft plastics, tiny little rapala lures, things we didn't see In nz for at least another decade.
Man, it was like Xmas, I was so stoked, gloating over them....in fact I am still like that, you shoulda seen me the other day....well, that is a whole new story lol.
It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishing Addiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 9:28pm
Fishing Addiction View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wicked deals. No wonder all the retailers are grinning at the "micro" jigs. Probably will make a small fortune on them and associated rods reels etc
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terry66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 5:49pm
terry66 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Whenever I go to japan I always hit the tackle shops, I can spend hours there looking at all the jigs, soft baits, reels, rods god damn everything!!
I have to go by myself otherwise the wife gets pis#ed
Last time I bought back some squid jigs and an egi rod, next time i'm thinking reel and lots of different softies maybe even a portable livebait thingy?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote part-timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 10:17pm
part-timer View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

can any of you recommend any shops in Nagoya area?

Cheers James
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terry66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 10:32pm
terry66 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

There are several shops in the Okazaki area, i'll see if I can get you a map of the shops I go to all the time!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terry66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 10:48pm
terry66 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

try these coordinates in google maps        34.980269,137.1586101

this shop is called tackle off
and its great!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote part-timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 10:53pm
part-timer View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

thanks for that !!  I hope to go to Nagoya next year... J
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terry66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 6:02pm
terry66 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

The shop is a bit of a way from the nearest train station but close to a major highway!! you can catch a train to okazaki from Nagoya and then either take a taxi or walk? would be good to take a Japanese friend as the cab drivers wouldn't probably know English!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote widerange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 10:45am
widerange View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

oh,not radiation?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Southern_Jez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 11:51am
Southern_Jez View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by widerange widerange wrote:

oh,not radiation?

How else do you think those shimano lures glow in the dark?

Heading out to get them wet this afternoon, should be interesting to see if lethals bite times line up with local knowledge down here, lethals times are the two hours prior to when the cod normally start biting in our experience ... Good excuse to go out fishing longer in my opinion