Line strength question

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dave775 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Line strength question
    Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 9:30am
Dave775 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Whats every ones opinion on .....If a shop has spools of line left over from last season (37kg) will that line be weaker than buying line when it comes in store for this season??

I know shops have to clear out old stock before they get new stuff in, but is it better to wait until the new stocks come or will it not really matter?

I went to a seminar with Mr Pakula and i can remember him saying line can loose around 15% of its strength each year but if im already getting line that is over 12 months old from the shop am i really getting a 37kg or will it be closer to 31kg. Meaning that the following season ( i re spool every second season) i will have closer to 27kg???
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lickindip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 10:17am
Lickindip View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

lots of variables
is it IGFA rated line to begin with ... if not it will normally over test the 37kg anywho
has it been stored out of sun?
if in doubt ... ask the shop to line test it for you. also listen to the line snap. (same as a golf ball bouncing) new line is a crack, old line is a thud ... just my opinion
I just read an article about the dangers of drinking too much; it scared the sh*t out of me, so today I decided I'm never f*cking reading again!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alan syme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 8:26pm
alan syme View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I personally would not risk it myself, if I knew that the line was old. It might be ok but maybe not and I want to give myself every chance of eliminating gear failure.

Of course, the shop might just give me older line and I may not know. 

The money "saved" is insignificant compared to fuel used for game fishing trips in my opinion.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 10:00pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Also how long has it been on the wholesales shelf before being dispatched to the shop,could be years old by the time you get it.
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 11:50am
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'm in 2 minds about all this.

When you consider what nylon is, it's a pretty inert material.

Yes, it does degrade under UV light, is prone to weakening under heat and stress, but if the stuff is sitting in a box in the dark, how can it weaken?
There's no external factors to affect it.

I have the old Stren that I bought up big on when it was discontinued a few years ago.
It's sat in the box in the dark and I've got absolutely no qualms in using it.

Might come back to bite me in the arse now that I've posted this, but I don't think so.
"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fastjig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 2:00pm
fastjig View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

carbon monoxide is bad for mono, don't tackle shop on a busy road!
If there is doubt, there is no dobut.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dave775 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 2:17pm
Dave775 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Sweet, yea it is Moimoi line so i assume that the wholesaler turnover would be pretty good, yea it is sitting in the box on a shelf in a shop so surely it cant be to bad. There is nothing stopping the "new stock" being the same stuff that has just sat at the wholesalers for a year anyway... Only way to find out will be to buy it then have it tested.. I will do that and report back in a couple of weeks.

Just been told its meant to be coming down in price for this season anyway... 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 2:56pm
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by fastjig fastjig wrote:

carbon monoxide is bad for mono, ...

Why is that mate?

Not being a smart arse, but I'm genuinely curious as to why you said it.
Always thought nylon was pretty inert as I mentioned, so can't see any logic in that comment.

I might be missing something though......

Any chemical engineers or industrial chemists?
"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Peter Pakula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 5:01pm
Peter Pakula View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nylon is inert, but what do you think inert means? It's also a solid. To make it bend and supple they add stuff that unfortunately isn't inert.

Jaapie, i'd test that old stren. I did the same. Was OK for 2 years then went to crap, Stored wrapped in foil in an esky inside an old unplugged feezer. The only line I've had that lasted for many years like that was Weiss. Lasted around 5 years then decayed in a year.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 6:15pm
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Peter Pakula Peter Pakula wrote:

Nylon is inert, but what do you think inert means? It's also a solid. To make it bend and supple they add stuff that unfortunately isn't inert.

Jaapie, i'd test that old stren. I did the same. Was OK for 2 years then went to crap, Stored wrapped in foil in an esky inside an old unplugged feezer. The only line I've had that lasted for many years like that was Weiss. Lasted around 5 years then decayed in a year.

I was under the impression that even though they added something to make it supple, it still didn't tend to react or oppose other elements in the nylon make up, hence the non-formation (or arguably very little) of any other chemical compound. It's still fundamentally inert - the nylon that is.

That's my understanding - but feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
Am I missing something from chemistry classes?
Maybe these guys working in the nylon extrusion places are smarter than what I give them credit for and have come up with previously unreleased data on covalent bondingLOL
Nerdy joke - ok if you don't laughEmbarrassed

Thanks for the heads up though on the Stren Pete - I'll have another peek at it.
I'd be really pissed though if it's gone off.
Moved heaven and earth to get the last available rolls too here in Aussie Pinch (Doh!)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 7:34pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks PP.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Peter Pakula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 8:57pm
Peter Pakula View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Jappie some of the additives are dye for colour (nylon in it's natural state isn't fluro yellow) UV stabilisers. Nylon without it doesn't last long in sunlight. Oils and emulsifiers, bonding agents to get it to mix evenly and stop the dye migrating. and be supple not to mention some recovery when stretched as straight nylon doesn't recover. it stays elongated. Cheaper lines go all squiggly when extended to breaking point as the nylon has remained elongated while the other stuff in the mix has tried to recover it's original length..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2014 at 9:49pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Depends on the temperature in the shop as well. Nylon gets its strength from keeping the molecule chains aligned alongside each other. Over time with surprisingly little heat they relax and get all bunched up instead of being nice and straight and strong. Additionally Nylon is a crystalline thermoplastic (Amorpho-crystalline actually; i.e it's partly amorphous and partly crystalline, the proportion changes with time and temperature and pressure) It gets its strength when Amorphous, and looks clearer. With time and also surprisingly little temperature its crystallises and weakens, and looks milkier.

Short answer, if you know it's been sitting there since last season, then get them to crack open a new spool, assuming it's new season's stock.
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2014 at 10:01pm
the angler View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Does anyone else's local h&fing not stock moi moi .? Mine spools up with platypus or something.......