600-year-old canoe

Page  123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 600-year-old canoe
    Posted: 01 Oct 2014 at 11:35pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

A piece of that early heritage was recently revealed on a beach in New Zealand, when a 600-year-old canoe with a turtle carved on its hull emerged from a sand dune after a harsh storm. The researchers who examined the shipwreck say the vessel is more impressive than any other canoe previously linked to this period in New Zealand

In New Zealand, human history only began around 1200-1300, when intrepid voyagers arrived by boat through several journeys over some generations.

The canoe was revealed near the sheltered Anaweka estuary, on the northwestern end of New Zealand's South Island.

"It kind of took my breath away, really, because it was so carefully constructed and so big," said Dilys Johns, a senior research fellow at the University of Auckland in New Zealand.

The hull measured about 20 feet long and it was made from matai, or black pine, found in New Zealand. The boat had carved interior ribs and clear evidence of repair and reuse. Carbon dating tests showed that the vessel was last caulked with wads of bark in 1400.

Johns and colleagues say it's likely that the hull once had a twin, and together, these vessels formed a double canoe (though the researchers haven't ruled out the possibility that the find could have been a single canoe with an outrigger). If the ship was a double canoe, it probably had a deck, a shelter and a sail that was pitched forward, much like the historic canoes of the Society Islands (a group that includes Bora Bora and Tahiti) and the Southern Cook Islands. These island chains have been identified as likely Polynesian homelands of the Maori, the group of indigenous people who settled New Zealand.

The boat was surprisingly more sophisticated than the canoes described centuries later by the first Europeans to arrive in New Zealand, Johns told Live Science. At the time of European contact, the Maori were using dugout canoes, which were hollowed out from single, big trees with no internal frames. In the smaller islands of Polynesia, boat builders didn't have access to trees that were big enough to make an entire canoe; to build a vessel, therefore, they had to create an elaborate arrangement of smaller wooden planks.

The newly described canoe seems to represent a mix of that ancestral plank technology and an adaptation to the new resources on New Zealand, since the boat has some big, hollowed-out portions but also sophisticated internal ribs, Johns and colleagues wrote.

The turtle carving on the boat also seems to link back to the settlers' homeland. Turtle designs are rare in pre-European carvings in New Zealand, but widespread in Polynesia, where turtles were important in mythology and could represent humans or even gods in artwork. In many traditional Polynesian societies, only the elite were allowed to eat turtles, the study's authors noted.

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2014/09/30/sophisticated-600-year-old-canoe-discovered-in-new-zealand/

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote red rooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 12:49am
red rooster View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

wicked !
 theres alot of history at the top of the south 
amazing things like this still getting diacovered
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 4:29am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Stunning
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lemmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 5:26am
lemmy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I ca,nt recall ever seeing a turtle carved by Maori before,although there are some cave paintings in the South Island of crocodiles.
Maybe it was the Cuzzys from Rarotonga coming down for a holiday.
Little bit off topic but have any of the members visited the Sundee Site on Mototaupo which was discovered in 1981 was thinking of taking the kids there over summer?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 8:39am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think your summary Lemmy was what the article was pointing to. just stunning craftsmanship.
I see an error though. They say human history started 1200,1300 when they meant Maori History.
Plenty of evidence of humans long before that.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 9:29am
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

No no no! Not possible! :-)
That is cool about that canoe, isn't it. The folks in the cooks insist that their people were the ones that came to nz.
It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 12:40pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Capt Asparagus Capt Asparagus wrote:

No no no! Not possible! :-)
That is cool about that canoe, isn't it. The folks in the cooks insist that their people were the ones that came to nz.

And if you believe in the DNA trail they are all of Asian descent.
Watched a very interesting documentary which followed their progress from Asia through the Islands and finally to New Zealand.
They did DNA tests, language transition and archaeology. Really interesting.
Now to throw a spanner in the works. There has been evidence found of a culture here before early Maori. In fact ancient Maori oral tradition/stories mention it themselves.
A few years ago an ancient sunken Phoenician port and boats were discovered in Australia. If they made it that far, how hard would it have been to sail to New Zealand. Could they have been the people early Maori say were already here when they arrived?

P.S. Love the Turtle.
Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AlexFyssher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 12:50pm
AlexFyssher View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

S**t that's pretty cool
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lemmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 6:28pm
lemmy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Makes you wonder how many of the boats built in New Zealand in recent years will still be around in 600 years time ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 6:44pm
Titanium
Titanium

Some say that the Chinese were here in the early Ming Dynasty too.....that is 1400-1450

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lemmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 7:12pm
lemmy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Reel Deal Reel Deal wrote:

I think your summary Lemmy was what the article was pointing to. just stunning craftsmanship.
I see an error though. They say human history started 1200,1300 when they meant Maori History.

Whoops yeah should have read the article first,.
 I,ve done a fair bit of research into early New Zealand Habitation and a yet to see one bit of solid evidence of Humans being here in any numbers before Maori colonised it in 1200 ,1300 most will agree it is possible some Asian Mariners came and went .
And I know about all the rat bones,stone villages,Celts etc etc,still to see one bit of solid evidence and I know all the conspiracy theorys will say it has been hidden from us maybe it has??? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Godders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 7:15pm
Godders View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I had a 600 year old canoe once but was too heavy and hard to retrieve on my own.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 8:22pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Godders Godders wrote:

I had a 600 year old canoe once but was too heavy and hard to retrieve on my own.
so you buried it in the sand.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2014 at 8:33am
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Lemmy,how about the FACT that the nga puhi chief David rankin says they wernt the first ones here? Or all the stories from the tribes around rotorua and taupo saying that they wernt here first...or the fact that the koru pa at taranaki was built at a time when there was clear evidence that not enough people were in NZ let alone taranaki to build it...and man it effectively....it was printed that it was built a long time before the maori were said to arrive? Or the spanish armour found at pouto,or the aboriginal boomerang found in dargaville,or the tamil bell found in wellington harbour,or the 7-8ft tall skeletons found in the raglan caves...with long platted red hair,and samples of a woven tartan cloth found with them.There is alot of evidence hidden and its sad,because its our history,european or maori,we have the right to know.Some sites are worthy of Unesco preservation,but DOC shoves it all under the carpet.
One tribe had its MDNA traced back to iran,as mentioned in the tribes stories,they always knew where and when they came from........
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2014 at 9:00am
Titanium
Titanium

Hmmmmmmm....... 7 to 8 foot tall skeletons....who were they, aliens? Or super tall red haired Masai? :-)

What about the moriori though? (Try slipping moriori past bloody iPads autocorrect! Sheeesshhhh)

I would not be surprised the Chinese visited here, given the Chinese DNA in Maori, that could have happened. Forget the phonecians, celts etc though, that is just fantasy.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AlexFyssher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2014 at 9:05am
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by lemmy lemmy wrote:

Originally posted by Reel Deal Reel Deal wrote:

Whoops yeah should have read the article first,.
 I,ve done a fair bit of research into early New Zealand Habitation and a yet to see one bit of solid evidence of Humans being here in any numbers before Maori colonised it in 1200 ,1300 most will agree it is possible some Asian Mariners came and went .
And I know about all the rat bones,stone villages,Celts etc etc,still to see one bit of solid evidence and I know all the conspiracy theorys will say it has been hidden from us maybe it has??? 

Have you read The Great Divide? (I haven't but my brother has and seems very interesting, will start it soon)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Harmul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2014 at 9:21am
Harmul View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Capt Asparagus Capt Asparagus wrote:

Hmmmmmmm....... 7 to 8 foot tall skeletons....who were they, aliens? Or super tall red haired Masai? :-)

What about the moriori though? (Try slipping moriori past bloody iPads autocorrect! Sheeesshhhh)

I would not be surprised the Chinese visited here, given the Chinese DNA in Maori, that could have happened. Forget the phonecians, celts etc though, that is just fantasy.

You cant tell me that you havnt heard about the 8 foot skeletons? There is so much of NZ's history out there that hasn't been revealed. I don't believe everything I read, but the evidence keeps on adding up that the moriori and the maori were not the first ones here.
However, everyone must make up their own minds on the different theories as there is also a lot of bull dust theories out there as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AlexFyssher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2014 at 9:29am
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by fish-feeder fish-feeder wrote:

Lemmy,how about the FACT that the nga puhi chief David rankin says they wernt the first ones here? Or all the stories from the tribes around rotorua and taupo saying that they wernt here first...or the fact that the koru pa at taranaki was built at a time when there was clear evidence that not enough people were in NZ let alone taranaki to build it...and man it effectively....it was printed that it was built a long time before the maori were said to arrive? Or the spanish armour found at pouto,or the aboriginal boomerang found in dargaville,or the tamil bell found in wellington harbour,or the 7-8ft tall skeletons found in the raglan caves...with long platted red hair,and samples of a woven tartan cloth found with them.There is alot of evidence hidden and its sad,because its our history,european or maori,we have the right to know.Some sites are worthy of Unesco preservation,but DOC shoves it all under the carpet.
One tribe had its MDNA traced back to iran,as mentioned in the tribes stories,they always knew where and when they came from........

The thing that really gets me with this is they won't teach it in school.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2014 at 9:32am
Titanium
Titanium

I haven't heard of any 8ft tall humans, let alone having a whole bunch of them turning up in nz ....they must've been a genetically enhanced NBA team from the 22nd century accidentally time warped back to a cave in nz huh?
:-)
Hell, even today's basketball teams have no (or at least vanishingly few) 8 footers...that is over 2.4m.... Nah man, I don't believe any b.s. about such skellingtins.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote A C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2014 at 9:37am
A C View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Giants On Earth

Genesis 6:4 "The Nephilim were on the earth in those days--and also afterward--when the sons of God went to the daughters of men and had children by them. They were the heroes of old, men of renown."

Giant's skeletons found on earth apparently range up to a towering 36ft in height.

"We saw the Nephilim there (the descendants of Anak come from the Nephilim). We seemed like grasshoppers in our own eyes, and we looked the same to them." - Numbers 13:33

The Annunaki, according to ancient Sumerian Texts are responsible for engineering mankind. According to the ancient texts they come from Nibiru. These ancient texts complement and concur with that which is written in the Bible. The Religion section of the Liberty For Life site contains some description and discussion on these issues. We are significantly concerned that our officials in the government may be hiding information regarding Nibiru. With our limited resources while under constant and outrageous assault from authorities, Liberty For Life is studying the issue relating to Nibiru. Of particular concern is the limited access and two year waiting list to utilize any of the more powerful telescopes around the world, which appear to be under the control of the Vatican/NWO crew. Also of concern is the recent censorship by the US military of space meteorites / space rocks: "A recent U.S. military policy decision now explicitly states that observations by hush-hush government spacecraft of incoming bolides and fireballs are classified secret and are not to be released, SPACE.com has learned." The FloridaToday.com site reveals "It's baffling to us why this would suddenly change," said one scientist familiar with the work. In 1983 it was announced that the IRIS space telescope had found Nibiru, this was quickly followed up with denials by NASA. Robert S Harrington, Head of the Naval Observatory Washington DC headed up NASA Planet X (Nibiru) internal study was on his final trip to New Zealand to photograph Planet X. He died suddenly of a mysterious cancer before he could return to the US with his photographs. Chuck Schramek the Huston News Host who took photos of Hale Bopp that is apparently on the same orbital path as Nibiru died of the same rapid onset cancer.

One must question why on earth the authorities are censoring such extraordinary finds? Why are they keeping us in the dark?

"If the "truth will set you free", clearly our authorities want to keep us as slaves." - SOC

We know much of what is known in these areas is being censored. The Internet however, representing a great tree of knowledge is breaking out this knowledge and bringing about the New Renaissance and Second Reformation.

Are/were "the sons of God" referred to in Genesis 6:2 the Annunaki the descendants of Anak referred to in Numbers 13:33?

Genesys 2:15 "The LORD God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it. [16] And the LORD God commanded the man, "You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; [17] but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat of it you will surely die."

Genesis 3:22 "And the LORD God said, "The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever.""

Genesis 6:1-3 "When men began to increase in number on the earth and daughters were born to them, the sons of God saw that the daughters of men were beautiful, and they married any of them they chose. Then the LORD said, "My Spirit will not contend with man forever, for he is mortal; his days will be a hundred and twenty years.""

By C

A.- Present day modern man which averages about 6-feet tall + or - several inches or more.

B.- 15-foot human skeleton found in southeast Turkey in late 1950's in the Euphrates valley during road construction. Many tombs containing giants were uncovered here. This pertains to the picture of the giant human femur and myself above.

C.- Maximinus Thrax Ceaser of Rome 235-238 A.D. This was an 8' 6" skeleton.

D.- Goliath was about 9 feet + or - a few inches. I Samuel 17:4 late 11th century.

E.- King Og spoken of in Deuteronomy 3:11 whose iron bedstead was approximately 14-feet by 6-feet wide. King Og was at least 12-feet tall, yet some claim up to 18.

F.- A 19'6" human skeleton found in 1577 A.D. under an overturned oak tree in the Canton of Lucerne.

G.- 23-foot tall skeleton found in 1456 A.D. beside a river in Valence, France.

H.- A 25' 6 " skeleton found in 1613 A.D. near the castle of Chaumont in France. This was claimed to be a nearly complete find.

I.- Almost beyond comprehension or believability was the find of the two separate 36-foot human remains uncovered by Carthaginians somewhere between 200-600 B.C.

Source for the above information:
Joe Taylor, Mt. Blanco Fossil Museum
124 West Main St., P.O. Box 550, Crosbyton, TX 79322
(805) 675-7777 (office) and (806) 675-2421 (fax)
http://www.mtblanco.com

Mummified remains of man taller than a train.

NOTE OF HOAX GIANT PICTURE. The Picture Show Below is a Hoax. It was created in a contest at Cornell University to fake photographs: http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/outreach/mastodon/.

The original photograph can be seen below which was taken at a Mastodon skeleton dig:

Liberty For Life
C

Well you have now Can'n
Aye-Aye cloth eyes.
Page  123>