Mac 420 Freshen up for summer

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mac 420 Freshen up for summer
    Posted: 01 Oct 2014 at 10:25am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Had my Mac 420 for 8 years - had a crack in transom (over a 100 bar crossings) and battery sits on a tray (no box) so gets salty.  Also original canopy which I never liked was starting to tear and domes (why!) not locking - so yearly service, new batt (5 years old now) batt box, repair and repaint transom in black (original colour white - shows dirt.  Replace canopy using existing frame with split front windows so I can see out and keeps passenger try.  Here are pics before and after.

Took it out last weekend in harbour - sweet!  Just need good weather now.

Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2014 at 1:15pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Mac have you got a transom saver? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 3:53am
Titanium
Titanium

Mike Aqua Are you referring to a support stay for outboard when towing? Yes.
Apparently quite a few Mac 420 transoms crack - the metal is to thin IMO - Mac boats increased thickness 2 years ago - my Neighbour has a 2013 and it is definitely made of thicker material. That said I have driven mine in rough seas - the joy of the manukau bar and yes motor is rated for boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tall stories Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2014 at 7:16pm
Tall stories View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

When they repaired the transom what did they do to repair it. Was just checking mine over and noticed I have a crack in exactly the same spot.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HB_fishdive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2014 at 11:00pm
HB_fishdive View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I had the same issue with my mac420.
I removed the outboard bracket and took it into a engineer and got them to make up and bend a 6mm alloy plate and weld it onto the excisting bracket. I rung the mac factory first and that's what the suggested to do. Mac were more than happy to do the work for me but being in hawkesbay it was easier to get it done down here.
Getting the bracket off was a @&$? Of a thing to do but I'm pleased I did it, am no longer turning around every 5 mins to check the crack isn't growing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tall stories Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2014 at 1:01pm
Tall stories View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Must be a common issue, I'll most likely do the same thing.

What were the main problems removing the bracket?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2014 at 6:09am
Titanium
Titanium

The crack did not grow on mine - mechanic said would be okay for a while and I marked crack to check not creeping. Then over winter I got it done - you can weld more material or in my case triangular gussetts. I had repair done by boat shop (West Akld Marine Glen) - they removed outboard took bracket off - I took it away and got it repaired and powder coated in black (I have a merc and original white colour does not look good after a while) - mechanic said was a real pain to get back on - even though welder was careful to keep shape I guess material in boat relaxes etc. You could ring Glen and ask how to do. Cheers