First time buyer

Page  <123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 12:02pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I used to own two of the Johnson equivalent of that outboard.

Very smoky, hard to start, poor alternator output, prone to stuck carburettor floats, idle speed constantly out of adjustment. 

Put it this way: I had two of them, but still felt the need to have an auxiliary.

Originally posted by Olfart Olfart wrote:

This is also within your budget.  Bonus is the o/b was supplied and serviced by a well known and reliable company.  Boat is in Auckland so easy to have a look and discuss with owner re the engine and check out any receipts...
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/motorboats/auction-787039917.htm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Olfart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 12:41pm
Olfart View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Mike20612 Mike20612 wrote:

personally based on past experience, for the money and the planned use, the smaller boats like the sea nymph all similar to the marlborough dart, good boats, but quite tender at rest, so perhaps not ideal for climbing in and out for diving especially if you're on your own, ideally a pontoon 1 would be the most suitable. 
Not sure where you get that info from - or are you thinking of the 13'6 hulls?  The V146 hull would have to be one of the most stable small boats at rest that I can think of (apart of course from a pontoon boat - but even then in my limited experience of these, bigger is definitely better....)  And on that note, anyone who tries to climb into a boat by clambering over the side should think again.  Much better to climb aboard at the transom if at all possible.
Semper in excreta sumus, solum profundum variat....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Don18025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 2:52pm
Don18025 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Divefree, I am an old diver still active with 37 years in the water.
Do not go cheap on your motor, that is the most important safety asset for your boat.
Divers push the limits almost all the time - all the guys I know did regularly.
So your best insurance is a newer reliable engine.
I would not touch a motor older than 2000 for diving......you maintenance and repair costs will mean you cannot afford to fill the boat, unless you are a very good mechanic.
That V146 hull and trailer is excellent, great seaworthy hull......but I think you will be rapidly looking to re-engine. But a 146 needs at least 60 hp plus. A Mac 360 will run well on 20 to 30 hp for free diving.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 3:25pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Interesting following the conversation - I think the key point for me is that this is your first boat - I owned several boats before I settled on what I liked and required in a boat and know many who have done the same. IMO you can either get a smaller newer boat with 20hp or so motor that will be cheap to run but with limitations in terms of capacity, range, sea worthy ness or an older larger boat that will rip through your money - I know! If you buy used smart now you will be able to sell for similar money in a few years.
Please consider other aspects as well - how long are you intending to keep for? Are you going on an OE in a few years? Missus or kids on the way soon? Are you expecting to earn a lot more in a few years or have more money then to buy?
I just mention this because I don't know your situation and IMO we all want everything now but is not always realistic in terms of our budget at present. Cheers
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Olfart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 3:39pm
Olfart View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Don18025 Don18025 wrote:

That V146 hull and trailer is excellent, great seaworthy hull......but I think you will be rapidly looking to re-engine. But a 146 needs at least 60 hp plus. A Mac 360 will run well on 20 to 30 hp for free diving.
Yes I agree Don - ideally the V146 Sea Nymphs go best with at least 70hp on the back.  That said, I had a 50hp Yamaha on mine - it went real well and happily did everything that I wanted it to do.
However, with the budget that is being talked about in this thread it will be a given that a re-power would be on the cards for pretty much any boat that is purchased at that level.  The best one can do is to get the best condition boat and trailer, with the most (hopefully) reliable engine and then put some cash away towards a re-power when this is affordable.  This was why I posted the link to the V146, being possibly the best looking one that I have seen for a while and an outboard that has been serviced by one of the most well known service outfits in the region. 
Semper in excreta sumus, solum profundum variat....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ponty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 3:42pm
ponty View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/seaforce-360-with-4-stroke_topic104193.html

That just came on the forum. I got my first boat when I was 18 spent 13 grand on a Fyran 450. Biggest things I learn't being young and owning a boat. 
1.Having a small light boat is best as easier to tow launch and handle at sea
2. I spent the extra money because I wanted to get newer, glad I did as had very little issues
3. You learn while you go. Made some pretty rookie mistakes which I would never do again, better to happen in a small boat

I am 23 and have now upgraded but glad I had the smaller boat to start with to learn my way.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Divefree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 3:48pm
Divefree View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by MacSkipper MacSkipper wrote:

Interesting following the conversation - I think the key point for me is that this is your first boat - I owned several boats before I settled on what I liked and required in a boat and know many who have done the same. IMO you can either get a smaller newer boat with 20hp or so motor that will be cheap to run but with limitations in terms of capacity, range, sea worthy ness or an older larger boat that will rip through your money - I know! If you buy used smart now you will be able to sell for similar money in a few years.
Please consider other aspects as well - how long are you intending to keep for? Are you going on an OE in a few years? Missus or kids on the way soon? Are you expecting to earn a lot more in a few years or have more money then to buy?
I just mention this because I don't know your situation and IMO we all want everything now but is not always realistic in terms of our budget at present. Cheers

Cheers MacSkipper. These are all very good points you have raised. Have been warned about potential ongoing costs and how bad they could get especially with an older boat. This is why I have come here for sound advice. I won't be making this decision lightly, it's just really awesome to talk about these things rather than make rash decision.

I am (but also am not) worried about ongoing costs because I feel that that is just a part of owning a boat to a certain extent. Just like with owning anything else there is the potential that something will go wrong down the line, but that shouldn't really stop a person from doing it, live and learn. Also, say circumstances do change, would it really be that hard to re-sell the boat for maybe only a small loss?

I hope these questions/answers are also helpful to others that are looking at purchasing their first boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Divefree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 3:53pm
Divefree View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by ponty ponty wrote:

http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/seaforce-360-with-4-stroke_topic104193.html

That just came on the forum. I got my first boat when I was 18 spent 13 grand on a Fyran 450. Biggest things I learn't being young and owning a boat. 
1.Having a small light boat is best as easier to tow launch and handle at sea
2. I spent the extra money because I wanted to get newer, glad I did as had very little issues
3. You learn while you go. Made some pretty rookie mistakes which I would never do again, better to happen in a small boat

I am 23 and have now upgraded but glad I had the smaller boat to start with to learn my way.

Yea there will most likely be many rookie mistakes for me and every other boatie. I guess it's all just a part of the game. Thanks for your reply.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 6:11pm
Titanium
Titanium

Hey Ponty sweet little boat! I would love to know if it comes with new WOF and Reg? Proof of regular servicing? Not sure about price as 9.9hp motor is getting on?
I also like my Mac 360 with 30hp and S/S prop - 30 really gets up and goes when it is calm in Manukau Harbour - but that is not very often. Have used on lake Taupo and it is great.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 8:08pm
Otto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

My 2c worth
Like others have said have a good think, some of those shown are heavy and will be difficult to launch at some places.
Sea state will limit them and you will spend more once the boat is brought, life jackets, VHF, flares maybe a sounder new battery etc

How about something like this while you decide and save
Dory?

Or I would look at these
Inflatable

Another

More

Or this for a rig

Easy to launch at most places even without a ramp so you can usually find some calm water
Probably easier to sell and more likely to get your money back
Probably explore more than some of us with bigger boats
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ponty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 8:43pm
ponty View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by MacSkipper MacSkipper wrote:

Hey Ponty sweet little boat! I would love to know if it comes with new WOF and Reg? Proof of regular servicing? Not sure about price as 9.9hp motor is getting on?
I also like my Mac 360 with 30hp and S/S prop - 30 really gets up and goes when it is calm in Manukau Harbour - but that is not very often. Have used on lake Taupo and it is great.

Hey mate not mine. I just saw it on the for sale section and thought it was perfect.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sappercatcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2014 at 2:31pm
sappercatcha View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I would go small 12-14 foot ali with a basic but reliable tiller steer outboard

you may get bigger for your money but trust me it ill be old as hell and most likely will spend more time in the shop getting fixed than on the water last yeah I sold a ramco 4m (13.1ft) with a 25hp on it for $4800 motor was 1999 and a minter boat was the same year and also mint

that's the you if thing you want to many guys get caught up in the bigger better thing on a beer budget and end up buying a POS just cos it was big and cheep just remember if it sounds to good to be true your its probably not
keep up the good work boys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 9:29pm
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've owner 1 & 2 options and preferred the clydecraft - mine had a 25hp tohatsu and went fine so if you had to replace the old merc it wouldn't break the bank. The plylite was fine too - very stable - just had to slow down if waves got too big - ran well on a 40hp.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2014 at 12:42am
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

There's a Naiad inflatable on Turners for a currently bargain bid

Naiads are far tougher than most inflatables you could buy for that budget, ideal for diving, launch anywhere and mistakes are less likely to cost your life. The coastguard use them.

It's in Auckland so you could check it out.

I went through the first boat thing myself last year. Went the route of a plastic Smartwave 3.5m dinghy and put a new 20hp four stroke on it. You could get the same setup with a 15hp two stroke of 2000 vintage for 5k easy.

I found it to be an ideal first choice. The whole family fits on it, it's safe and forgiving of mistakes, unsinkable, unbreakable when I screw up the launch or retrieve and I can afford to take it out every weekend for $4 in petrol. I use more driving to the ramp.

If 5k is really your budget then unless you can strip and repair an outboard yourself, you will be far better off with a smaller newer boat of a size that will fit every one on it in calm waters. If it's rough then it doesn't matter what boat you have, it stops being so much fun. I know mine will get us home though wet and uncomfortable. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2014 at 7:39am
Titanium
Titanium

X2 one way traffic comments - good advice - my missus only comes out if flat calm, sunny and warm so she prefers a small light boat as easier for her to hold.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Divefree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2014 at 8:04am
Divefree View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

That Turners Naiad does look pretty tidy. Might have to have a look at it this weekend. I have appreciated all the feedback so far. Has made me think a lot about what I should be looking at especially with regards to price and ongoing costs of an older boat/motor. 
Just a question about inflatables, would having one restrict fishing capabilities? I view them more of a purpose built dive boat, but this is may be inexperience talking.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2014 at 12:43pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You can fish from an inflatable.  That pontoon material is reasonably rugged.  You just have to be careful with hooks/gaffs  and only use sharp implements on the deck.

Turners say one inner tube has been replaced and remaining one has slow leak.  Good idea to find out how much another replacement inner tube would cost, just in case.

The prop looks much tidier than the rest of the outboard.  The cynic in me says the engine has a hard life and the prop was recently replaced.  A pre-use service would be in order.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2014 at 1:18pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

i disagree re the naiad looking tidy, it hasnt got any garuntees on the engine or leaks, id check it out first and naiad bags and skins are very expensive to repair as is an engine that wont run. its also on trademe so you can see it deflated there.

i saw a 3.8 naiad with 30hp yammy, all 1999 in MINT condition on quality trailer sell for $3500 a couple months back, so dont overspend simply due to the brand name.

in saying that, a naiad or wavebreak is the ducks guts for spearos/divers imo.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2014 at 3:28pm
Otto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by FizFisho FizFisho wrote:

i disagree re the naiad looking tidy, it hasnt got any garuntees on the engine or leaks, id check it out first and naiad bags and skins are very expensive to repair as is an engine that wont run. its also on trademe so you can see it deflated there.
     Agree

Still think the last option I posted is a good set-up
Was listed in June so if all is good maybe only 3k or less.

Originally posted by Divefree Divefree wrote:

Just a question about inflatables, would having one restrict fishing capabilities? .

They don't like hooks or snapper spikes.
But then a mate who's a mad keen fisho disappears from in launch in a little 2plus mtr one for miles with his gear and fish finder.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2014 at 4:16pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

the idea of hooks being an issue in inflatables is over rated. look most spearos dont go spearing their tubes. if you use circles hooks its a non issue. bring the fish over the transom or put neoprene or rubber matts over the side of the boat. is it possible to puncture one? of course. but every boat has pros and cons. the pro is inflatables are piss easy to fix compared to that expensive pontoon ally boat that needs a weld and parts stripped back to gain access.

plastic is probably the most versatile of the lot, a smartwave 3500 being the best of the 11ft6 brigade (same size as a fyran 12). ive seen them well under $5k.
Page  <123>