how real men catch Squid

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how real men catch Squid
    Posted: 23 Sep 2014 at 7:58pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

there are 48000t of Squid caught near the AK Islands every year some taken also in trawl nets...
but this is a good illustration of how they are caught on Squid Jigs, about half way through it shows them coming up on jigs by the hundreds,

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2014 at 8:16pm
Cbro View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

F### that looks dangerous. Wonder how many people die on that boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingfishers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2014 at 10:46pm
kingfishers View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cool towards the end of the video..!!!
"My mind has gone fishing, ask all questions tomorrow"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote part-timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2014 at 11:14pm
part-timer View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

that is a very selective way to fish... virtually no by-catch...  no damage to the environment..  but what a waste of prime squid !!!   half goes on the walkway.. walked on..  just a few modifications and the product would be greatly improved I think !!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2014 at 12:55am
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

wow.....Good to see a few get away!
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2014 at 6:34am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

What a waste of good squid!  As part-timer says. a few mods and the squid wouldn't go on the walkway.  Knowing how badly maintained those boats are, it wouldn't surprise me if the water pumps are broken down that should sluice out the channels where the squid first end up
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2014 at 7:14am
the angler View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks lethal , another good vid !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 3rnzir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2014 at 8:25am
3rnzir View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cbro,you got that right re-safety.
Heaving deck,slippery underfoot conditions + exposed rotating unguarded/caged machinery = lose of limbs/life.
Stone-age conditions.
All ships working NZ waters should be audited for best safe practices.
I have no problem with harvesting squid,short life span measured in months for some species & abundant.
Depending on the nationality of these men,in many  cases if the man is killed/seriously maimed,an extended family in his homeland is in big trouble financially.
Any wonder NZ can not get observers to man these vessels.
This is why unions have helped force legislative NZ workplace changes over the years at sea because of the  deaths.
Inside NZs EEZ all our laws should apply.
Tough men,tough job to be sure,make these work environs as safe as practical,and all parties benefit.
A man that can get thru his shift with all his limbs and/or life,can work the next shift
Thus endith the sermon.
Peace.Via superior firepower..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2014 at 7:45pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great vid thanks.

Near the end you get a glimps of other ships in the area doing the same thing I would say.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2014 at 9:04pm
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Woah, thats an eye opener.
thanks for that
"Team Skunk 10th equal Grunter Hunter 2020"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DenimViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2014 at 10:16pm
DenimViper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

thats screwed up, looks like walking into a corridor full of torture devices. Interesting working conditions
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2014 at 7:04pm
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That is an eye opener. I'm surprised there wasn't more black ink on the decks.
A king on the bricks is worth 5 in a boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2014 at 8:25pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Geez & to think I have yet to catch my first squid in NZ .... rather depressing I reckon.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tigurello 90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2014 at 6:46pm
tigurello 90 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

i caught 2 squid on spears and one on rod its pretty kool feeling to spear fish a squid