The fishing 10-20 years ago?

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2014 at 9:02pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

have some pic's of yesteryear Kaveman but not willing to put them up here as i will be ridiculed for killing so many,
jigging back then
'30" years ago jigging with metal lures was so fantastic you could sink your boat with fish if you didnt stop fishing,
funny how now we have gone full circle and its all on again...
seeing some of the new Micro Jigs reminds me of easy life was back then,
you seam to be having fun with them and a few others i see are doing ok as well...

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nickstaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2014 at 9:56pm
nickstaa View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Lethal Lethal wrote:

have a read through some of these articles from yesteryear,
some interesting catches back then..

http://www.surfcaster.co.nz/Newspapers/index.htm

i was 7 going on 8 years old when this pic was taken, i had been out on this boat possible 5 times as it belonged to my Uncle Len Selby....[URL=http://www.surfcaster.co.nz/Newspapers/index.htm%20" rel="nofollow][/URL]

http://www.surfcaster.co.nz/Newspapers/images/3000-snapper.jpg

Thanks for that some good articles. Would that last link be an average day out for that sort of trip back then or would that be a good day?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2014 at 10:09pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I can remember my dad going fishing in the 60's on a party boat, he came home with 3 or 4 snapper and a gurnard. I remember the gurnard vividly - it captured my imagination for sure. The only other fishing trip I recall him doing was rock fishing in the Coromandel for the day and he came home with one kahawai, so it wasn't always huge catches.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2014 at 10:58pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

in those days nickstaa,
they used to collect rubbish from the Passenger Liners and fishing boats via a DUMP BOAT yep believe it, rubbish collecting at sea,
this boat was unique in that it had a slanted floor so when the side doors opened what was contained inside slide out,
now they unloaded this rubbish out by the now Rangi Light house, straight into the sea,
it was a sight to be hold, because this happened every day and the fish new all about the rubbish it was about to drop into the tide,
so if you followed the rubbish boat out to its destination with its cargo about to be dumped into the sea all hell was going to be let loose,
the surface was awash with foam and tails of all sorts of fish thrashing around, i can still see that today, somethings never leave you...
the Florance Kennedy would park alongside the mayhem and people would haul the fish as fast as they could get the fish off the hook,
that was the ultimate trip which normally happened in the afternoon around 5pm to 6pm,
the other was a morning fish where my Uncle would put them onto fish with his new paper sounder which was a first for any boat in NZ waters, we are talking back in the mid 50s right now,
you really couldn't miss anyway due to the amount of fish in the sea back then....

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nickstaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2014 at 11:29pm
nickstaa View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

That would have been a sight to see, was the rubbish everything or just fishing and food?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2014 at 11:39pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

when i was fishing off the rocks with my Aunty around Torbay the water was so clear you could see everything in the water, truly clear and clean,
throw some wet mushed up bread on the water and you would have sprats and piper right at your feet,
catching the sprats was no problem but the piper where wary of anything with a hook in it,
so you would catch a few sprats then fillet them cut small bits up and place them on a hook,
you need a small stick or back then they were called TT2 ice blocks which had a stick to hold onto, this was the ultimate bite indicator or a stripped down Gull feather, put about 2ft above the baited hook,
now you could not cast it due to it was all attached to a bamboo pole, so you swung it out as far as you could,
now the problem was once you hooked a piper you had less than 10sec's to get it way out of the water,
after catching just one or two the Kings would move in and sit just meters away from your fishing spot,
these kings would be all over 40lb some even around 60lb and they new the instant the piper was hooked,
bloody amazing these huge fish swimming so close to your feet....

if you where lucky enough to be down on the beach when the mass fish turned up in there millions, sprats turning the sea black jumping onto the beach and Kahawai chasing them with Kings chasing the Kahawai onto the rocks and Dolphins eating everything, total mayhem, kids with buckets throwing the fish further up the beach and gulls pinching them before you could throw another bucket full,
how fantastic it was to be a kid back then...

when you learn't how to row a dingy you would tow a couple of feathers tied to a hook or a cigarette inner liner which was nice and shiny raped around the hook and catch Kahawai, then head 50/60yds out to sea and catch 3 or 5 30/50cm snapper all within an hour and head home with tea....

when walking to school i would always walk the beach if the tide was out, taking note of the holes in the sand over the pippy beds,
if there was any good marks and with a incoming tide late evening i would set a long line of 3 hooks tied between the two post that held the boats up so their bums could be cleaned,
in the morning you would run down early trying to beat the gulls to the snapper left high and dry on the sand...

we had a creek which run up to a waterfall and this creek in summer would fill with sprats and shrimps, we netted the shrimps with butterfly nets and catch sprats by the bucket full for the cats,
what a shame all this has gone due to sediment and run off, kids back then were so easily entertained with nature right on our door step...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2014 at 11:43pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Originally posted by nickstaa nickstaa wrote:

That would have been a sight to see, was the rubbish everything or just fishing and food?

no plastic back then so lots of news paper and brown paper bags with scrapes of all cooking foods like potato peelings rotting fruit you name it, what come out of a kitchen was dumped out at sea....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gollyfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2014 at 1:11am
gollyfish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

i've only lived in nz for 13 years so have little experience.....the sea fishing on the south island has improved over the last 4 years...thanks to a set net ban, implemented for the hectors dolphin...we can now catch fish sometimes!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2014 at 7:43pm
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Some of the areas I fish have seen a huge increase in marine farms...firth and coro.
seems these "artificial reefs" have permanent resident fish, some of which are of very respectable size,, ie donkeys and horses.

these areas and assosiated islands etc seem to fish as well , if not better than 20 yrs or so ago.
Not sure what effects the mussel farms have on the sea floor ..but they seem to have done the fishing in the area no harm.
anyone have any thoughts on this?
"Team Skunk 10th equal Grunter Hunter 2020"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nickstaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 3:25pm
nickstaa View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

So you think the coromandel has Improved from 20 years ago?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 3:33pm
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That's a hard call, for me it has... although in the early days we were a lot less experienced, clever, cunning etc. Certainly think more about what we do and where we go now days.
Have seen more double figure snapper and some hogs of Kings around the place more so the last 5yrs.
That's just me tho'...there would be some more qualified whose opinion would be interesting.
Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 4:24pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

skunk when i took up freediving spearing fish the wonders under the sea were way better than from the surface,
no bullswool a school of kingfish would be 2/300 or more, a school of snapper would be for as far as you could see down 20/40mts deep...
all gone, wiped out...
the schools around our coasts today are still exciting but undersized, as soon as they reach legal size a few HG charter skippers target them for their clients for food when the going is tuff which is wrong...
we need to protect these schools for future generation they are the backbone of what is needed to regenerate a steady influx of bigger fish for breeding...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 5:12pm
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah I dont doubt how it was back then Lethal..must have been unreel.
my experience only goes back to the early ninetys in the coro/firth area, personally I have more success than then..but that may be because im a better fisher than I was then
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 6:11pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

the wife an i used to fish the top of Coro 12/14 years ago we had no problem catching snapper 50mts from our tent, would smash a few peri winkles (small black sea snails) catch a Pakiri from below your feet then fillet that and cast that out for a snapper total time 15 to 20mins, fillets off the snapper still moving in the fry pan LOL.. 
if you wanted some decent snapper then scout the shore line on low tide looking for kina still stuck in the rocks with their top bitten off, sometimes you would find a row all emptied by large snapper go back when the tide is half to three quarters of the way in and burley with smashed up pilies thrown over the weed still visible but due to be covered by the tide,
give it an hour or two depending on current, cast your offering without sinkers and watch what happens, some huge snapper still lurk the shallows for sure just a matter of getting the tides right so they are either early morning or late even high....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2014 at 7:04am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

newstalkzb has a fishing show on the waikato frequency 7.00am to 8.00am saturday mornings,chris?,he talks to a charter operator from coromandel and they were saying how the fishing has improved.with the mussel farms holding resident fish and give 5/10 yrs and we should catching a lot of fish in the 10lb + mark 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Potty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2014 at 10:44am
Potty View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The size of fish at coro is definitely improving each year. Fish seem to have altered their feeding habits to take advantage of the mussels after spawning.
From Feb - April it's all on in the farms, they seem to get a bit sick of the mussels after that with a lot heading out of the area for winter.
Love fishing, love my job. It's a bloody shame that they clash.
Page  <12