Gamefishing Update - West Coast- Raglan to Ahipara

Page  <1 2728293031 46>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonyg26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2015 at 10:05pm
Tonyg26 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice work Tony and Chad, Good to see raglan going off!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Tales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 8:45am
Fish Tales View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks Lethal, yeah it was great fun.

Was gutted I didn't have the gopro rollin on the bite, it was insane!

I still can't believe how much energy that second fish had, the poor 90hp got a thrashing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BuiltToFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 9:14am
BuiltToFish View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Still plenty of fish around. We tagged 3 more last week, 1 at 116m, 1 at 84m and 1 at 48m so they are spread all over the place. Put together a video of some of our action from the past couple of weeks.

It's better to be lucky than good!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BT007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 11:50am
BT007 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

hey guys. a little bit of counting the chickens before they hatch' but.... if/when I catch a marlin then what? I read about someone getting it processed and smoked? I'm in Manukau launching from the Mangere Bridge and the plan initially I guessed was to cut it up. If I wanted to weigh it, process and smoke then whats close? Cheers in advance :)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 12:09pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

you can take it over to the Onehunga Wharf, there is a place that smokes fish for a fee,
you can just drop the whole fish off as is they cut it up with a band saw straight across the body but dont expect to get it all back as the guys working there are likely to help themselves to some of it LOL
the more they take the less it will cost you...

otherwise you can radio ahead on the day and ask if someone will do your marlin normally there is someone listening or knows of someone who will give you a phone number to ring.
Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 4:28pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The best way is if you have your own smoker or a friend who does is, cut it up into chunks and wrap it tightly in gladwrap or even better use a vacuum sealer freeze it fresh. The you just pull a couple of chunks out and smoke it as you want it. Done this way the chunks will still be good for smoking in 12 months time. This is what we do with all our fish, especially now I have a Bradley smoker.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jackel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 4:37pm
jackel View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

There is a guy called Bonfire Bob Bradshaw in Arkles Bay-a fair hike from the Onehunga wharf area but happy with what he has done for me. He will take the green fish if you take away the frame or better still slab the Marlin. He said cut along backbone and take a slab at a time, don't try to fillet it in one hit by pulling back the flesh as it causes flesh to fall apart after smoking. Pm me for contact details. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jackel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 4:38pm
jackel View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

BT007 all I need is the Marlin too..lol
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote billfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 5:32pm
billfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just had a call from a guy looking for a courtesy weigh at Lil Huia.

SM caught on a Albacore Rapala in 65m,  BWO,   

ON A JET SKI.!!    
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ritcho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 6:40pm
Ritcho View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Bonfire Bob does a great job. It's a hike up there but worth it for a good job. You can chop it up and salt slurry the pieces for a few days before shrink wrapping, that is the go if you want to smoke another batch in 6 months time. Will be fresh as.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 7:22pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Originally posted by billfish billfish wrote:

Just had a call from a guy looking for a courtesy weigh at Lil Huia.

SM caught on a Albacore Rapala in 65m,  BWO,   

ON A JET SKI.!!    

Far out he must be stocked, i am wondering how the hell he would fit that on his Jet Ski, must have towed it in surely...

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote billfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 8:48pm
billfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

coming back over the bar must have been interesting too.  Must have towed it or had someone else in a boat carry it over for him.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 9:02pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

that will get the Ski fraternity inspired,
hell can u imagine them all out there chasing Marlin???
be like flys on a dead carcase...
any reports on the weight and type of marlin???

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 9:57pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ever since I got a ski 6 months ago Smudge has been hounding me to get a marlin from it! Good on that guy, would of been a catch to remember. Hopefully we get a story and some more info...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 10:11pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I'm going to keep the pressure on too Coxie. I had a bit of a giggle when I read about a ski getting one
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Twocan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 4:42am
Twocan View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by coxie coxie wrote:

Ever since I got a ski 6 months ago Smudge has been hounding me to get a marlin from it! Good on that guy, would of been a catch to remember. Hopefully we get a story and some more info...

Don't let up smudgie. (From an offshore based yet super envious gf). Done know what we have till its gone.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lil Tonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 11:14am
Lil Tonk View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Well boy o boy , Had a late start yesterday checked the weather on swell map . All was OK so txt my mate and said its all go to go chase those stripies. Waited for the tide to roll in at 10 to drop the boat and ski in at Huia and Cross he bar, Dead calm she was so off we went to go see what was out there . We split our own way mate on the ski went for a snapper fish first and we shot off to piha 100m to try out there. Few boats around dragging, we had a hookup at 88 but droped it as soon as all the gear came in ....So albies and skippies in the bin we decided to head back in slowly. I thort I sore a big log in the water so I drove over to investigate, and look who it was. My mate on the ski hooked up well had been for 2 and a half hours haha! 77m where we found him! so we drove past him slowly and just watchd the marlin put him through his last bits of energy and pain until he tapped out and gave the rod to Dad on our boat. 15 mins of fight on the boat and up comes the leader and a nice stripey. HOLY **** everyone says So we tail wrap it around the tail and heave it in over the side of he boat. That's a nice fish! Hookd at 65m towed to 77m on a jetski , by him self trolling for albies one rod one rapala 2 and a half hours and a moment to remember! Fish went 109.6kg
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Weighmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 2:41pm
Weighmaster View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

what dreams are made of?

trolling one knot faster, one degree off course, is where we should have been yesterday? or !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 3:26pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

wow thanks for the report Lil Tonk,
unbelievable what these Marlin will try and eat, congates to the Jet skier nice Marlin for sure.
have you a pic of the lure????

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lil Tonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 4:43pm
Lil Tonk View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Just yur plain old blue pilchard shad rapala mate
Page  <1 2728293031 46>