Gamefishing Updates - Mercury Bay

Page  <1 1415161718 22>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crazy Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 5:18pm
Crazy Horse View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Ok here we go again. At no time did I say the fish was not legal. But I did say that from the photo that was posted it was not a legal rig. Sorry guys the way photo showed the hook well below the skirt it would not stand up to the rules of the IGFA. Weather you go by the IGFA rules or not who cares. But it is fact. There is no way looking at it that you could tell that it was a bonze rig. O K you can pull the hook up to make it legal, great, go fishing.

As for what sort of charters I do, check out my web site. www.threoeightfishing.co.nz  

I say again great fish

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Raging Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 5:36pm
Raging Bull View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt
Big Sexy

Originally posted by Crazy Horse Crazy Horse wrote:

Totally illegal rig. Surprised the game club even weighted it and put it on the board. But a good fish all the same.

I'm not surprised they weighed it, they weighed one for an angler on my boat the other day, got the board out, set up the wharf and did the full monty, gave the crowd that had gathered at the wharf a great speal and even organised the smoker to come and pick it up for us! The angler is not a member of any club and no one on the boat was a member of Mercury Bay. The did it for free too!

Then hearing Segador on the radio asking what was the latest he could weigh it they replied, they would weigh it when he arrived regardless of time.

So no, not surprised they weighed it at all, and I know where my membership fee will be going next season!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 5:53pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What a miserable club that would deny a weigh in.

I had a courtesy weigh in at Raglan...not a member but got the whole turn out......joined the club!
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 6:05pm
the angler View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I bet the bar turnover spikes at this time of year when fish are being weighed !!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pirate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 6:06pm
pirate View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Guys i,ve fished with crazy horse he is a good bugga and runs an excellent charter,  caught a hell of a lot of marlin not to mention some big tuna at the trench and down south etc.. knows his sh-t.  prob a knee jerk reaction re; lure looking illegal i think ay Dave.. easily done after a couple of appletonsLOL.  he,s taken it on the chin lets move on
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mangre 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 6:23pm
mangre 2 View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by the angler the angler wrote:

I bet the bar turnover spikes at this time of year when fish are being weighed !!!!

And your point?
Beautiful is better than ugly, Explicit is better than implicit, Simple is better than complex, Complex is better than complicated.      http://oceanmobilemap.blogspot.co.nz/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raging Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 6:40pm
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt
Big Sexy

[QUOTE=pirate]
Guys i,ve fished with crazy horse he is a good bugga and runs an excellent charter,  caught a hell of a lot of marlin not to mention some big tuna at the trench and down south etc.. knows his sh-t.  prob a knee jerk reaction re; lure looking illegal i think ay Dave.. easily done after a couple of appletonsLOL.  he,s taken it on the chin lets move on[

Yes let's do that!
I'm sure he is a good bugger and my post was not trying to discredit him but to praise the mercury bay club.

I think we all have the idea now and no point going round in circles so we will leave it a that regarding Crazy Horses post and get in with fishing reports before this descends in to a s**t fight.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crazy Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 6:50pm
Crazy Horse View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Here here i will drink to that. Lets compare notes at the end of the season. I just love to catch fish. Bigger the better
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 7:04pm
Uhunter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by *stu* *stu* wrote:

We found a buoy full of mahimahi on Saturday. Picked some off on softbaits and stickbaits. Mean fun.

Good work Stu, should have had a fly rod on board.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Team Kahnage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 7:48pm
Team Kahnage View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I think there's enough banter here for an independent thread hey Thumbs Up.... where's the marlin at???
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 8:25pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by mangre 2 mangre 2 wrote:

Originally posted by the angler the angler wrote:

And your point?
huh ? What bit dont u understand ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote HULK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 8:58pm
HULK View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

So after being stuck on my family holiday surrounded by gamefishing boats and all my gear sitting in the garage at home I was feeling rather tortured. Got back to work last Monday and managed to do a good 6hrs or so, Tuesday maybe 1 hour, by Wednesday I was on my way to coromandel. Weather turned to poos Thursday so went and got scallops and shot some bunnies with the 4 yr old boy.
Friday came and we finally got to get a lure in for the season. Was pretty lumpy to start with and was a quiet morning. At 2:15pm I looked back in time to see a stripey chasing short rigger and jumped in the cabin to yank the wheel left to drop the lure back and we were in. 20mins later we had a stripey boatside and were going to get some good photos and release him, he wanted to have another run so we let him go again and the hook fell out before he got to smile for the camera. Bit of a shame for Rob not to get a photo with his first marlin but still caught one.
Day two was pretty different with a couple of comps and anniversary weekend and the traffic was nuts. Got my SST chart downloaded around 9am and headed south to a likely looking temp break. Arrived there to see another boat hooked up and they dropped it not long after. We didn't have the patience to stay there as the horizon was to attractive so out we went to 700m. Saw a piece of carpeted ply from up on the roof and got the guys to turn the boat to check for mahi mahi. As we approached I saw a whole school make a beeline for the lures. I was down from the roof and waiting at the rod for the bite. Grabbed the first rod, then another went off, and then Ray, whose turn it was on the rod arrived to find that both rods had been taken and he was left without one. Until the 3rd rod went off. So all three of us hooked up with mahi mahi screeming all through the other lines and no one to help with anything, first fish was lost at the boat. I pulled in an 7kg model then rob hauled in rays fish, he got rewarded for being last and had a donkey thrashing around the front of the boat. Adrenalin was running and I got the tangles undone and boat running again while rob dealt to the thrashing fish with a scrubbing brush handle, a site that had to be seen! lures went back in as we circled back round for another go. Hooked one and dragged it along the surface trying to get another but no takers. So now we had 3 in the boat and kept trolling for another 15 mins. There were dozens of them but they just wouldn't bite. So out came the tackle bags and every lure, jig and hooky object we owned. They would chase but wouldn't bite. Was so frustrating.
Then I remembered I had chucked my mask and fins in for a water shot of a marlin if we caught one, and hadn't unpacked the speargun from my last dive. So in I went with nothing but a mask, fins and gun. Straight away the school swam past and I shot the biggest one but it ripped off the spear as I didn't have a float line to let the gun go, man are those things fast after theyve been shot! Reloaded very calmly with no panic at all and found the school and shot another, got a good gill shot this time and after finding out how sharp their gills are by getting my bare hands in the I threw him in the boat and felt pretty chuffed to spear one!
Jumped back in by the board and shot one more which wasn't the best shot, took 10mins to catch him and got him in the boat too. While I was fighting that one I saw 3 kingies under the resident bass holding under the board. Throught I might go get one of those but they were gone by the time I got back.
Now the boat looked like a chainsaw massacre had occurred and we had 5 nice fish. Sorted ourselves out and started marlin fishing again. no more action for the day but feeling pretty contented by then.
Back at whangapoua the king tide was right out and the bar was a bit hairy, had 3 boats follow us in and had to plane through the estuary to avoid getting beached. Hit the sand twice but kept momentum and made it.
Weighed our fish and ended up with the speared ones going 8 and 9kg and the line caught ones going 6,7 and just shy of 17kg!
Awesome first trip for the season and pretty excited to get back to work now

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HULK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 9:12pm
HULK View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 9:17pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Awesome catch of mahi..well done guys!

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 9:51pm
the demon View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice report Hulk ,think you got the head of the harem on the left top photo .**** it tastes beautiful !!!!!!Cool
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 10:22pm
Titanium
Titanium

Great story , great mahi , congratulations .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raging Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 10:46pm
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt
Big Sexy

Awesome ! Would have been great to see, Eddie Murphy shet rite thur!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote segador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 10:59pm
segador View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Clap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 3:43am
mozz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice work. Any Mahi over 15kg is a good fish!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 6:00am
NZTurtle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Congrats, some excellent fish there.
Page  <1 1415161718 22>