Gamefishing Updates - Bay of Plenty

Page  <1 1213141516 20>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dave0308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 11:17pm
Dave0308 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

We also fished the blue water - and while we struggled on the kingfish front like many others, we did have an eventful Friday while deep jigging. Me mate wayno on monster mesh 300 and accurate boss hooked a nice little stripey!!

Was just dropping down when he thought he'd reached the bottom, clicked into gear and took his first pump. Came up real solid with him thinking he'd dropped into a snag. Not so as shortly it took flight and pulled a little bit of string, before the weight fell off. However, at that point the fish erupted onto the surface about 25 yards from the boat!!! Tale walked all over the place as Wayne took up the slack and luckily came up tight!!! Game on!

Long (nervous) story short is that an hour later we had a tuckered out fish alongside where the call was made to boat it (first for Wayne and boat). Was an amazing thing to witness and only the second jig caught marlin that I know of - epic got one a couple years back. Any others heard of other fish being taken like this??

Good stuff Decoro, you guys sure sorted Wayne out with a sweet reel....

Can't put up a pic - working off my phone and it's all just too hard!

Thanks to the mt club committee for putting on another mean tourney.

Chur
Last March off Marakopa some guys had been snapper fishing then decided to troll for some albes & skippies but had forgot the marlin lures so chucked out a jig and trolled that and boated a 125 kg stripy, not deep jigging for Kings but still on a jig. We got our first one 2 weeks ago and reading this brings it all back, well done
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AndreA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2015 at 8:21am
AndreA View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Had a big day yesterday took my dad out first time game fishing for him.We headed to the knolls 400 meter Mark then worked our way into the 100 meter Mark & then up to the alderman pins stopped there for jig.
The only thing we got was 1 barrcoutta @ the aldie pins & one suciidal flying fish that landed in the boat while trolling.
Covered a lot of ground saw no work ups,not much bird activity,no skippies or albies & only saw dolphins on the way home.
136 miles 210 litres of fuel didnt realise how far the alderman pins are from tauranga took & hour n half averaging 30 knots to get home.
Good day out on the water great weather for it.
f*#k it all & f*#king no regrets
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dilbert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2015 at 9:16am
dilbert View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I had high hopes for my first day out chasing gamefish for the season after the steller results and reports posted.

Trolled all day Friday between 100m line below Mayor, north towards Aldies and back to Mayor Knolls. Other than shearwaters it was a blue desert... didn't see a fish of any sort all day, baitfish or gamefish, nor a single gannet or a dolphin... water temp very patchy from 19.5 - 21.5 and never stable. At least the weather was good and the sea comfortable... Hoping for better luck next time!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Whakatane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2015 at 8:31pm
Whakatane View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Out from Whakatane on Saturday to try out some new gear. Lures in 2 miles behind Whale island, trolled out to Roys Reef and Rangapapa knoll, had a couple of bluenose drops, no luck but managed to pick up a nice lil bass. Trolled back to Whale without seeing a stick, best action for the day was a large seal that came clear out of the water chasing Murphs Bea Sting lure he had just made for me, needless to say I brought it in pretty quick before I foul hooked the thing.

50 miles added to the tally trying to break my marlin duck.
Until next time.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 10:01am
bite View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

hows tauranga one base going , so far free lance 2 has a mahimahi from yesturday , i have had to work so no fishing for me , ph them and they are out side of auldies in  about 280 meters and 2 meter swells and rough this morning 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 7:15pm
bite View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

crikey some one give  me tauranga one base news please  LOL  LOL  Clap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 7:52pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

3 marlin tagged yesterday and 7 tagged today by 2pm( info from one of the boats fishing so hope it is correctLOL)
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote widerange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 8:07pm
widerange View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

had a look at their Facebook page?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 6:59am
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'll do a update on the one base a bit later this morning but thus far ive recorded and/or weighed:

12 marlin (10 t+r, weigh one blue and one stripey so far)
1 sword
2 YFT
1 spearfish
Lotsa mahimah
Albacore
Kingis

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 7:20am
Murph View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Are you fishing the tourney Kezza or just driving the scales?
http://www.facebook.com/GForceLures
http://www.gforcelures.co.nz/
[email protected]
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote widerange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 7:25am
widerange View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well there should be no wrongly ID'd fish in this comp then eh Kezza

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 7:26am
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Shore based duties Murph....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 7:27am
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Should be no mis identified fish in any comp in my opinion.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote widerange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 7:45am
widerange View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Agreed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BIG DOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 11:27am
BIG DOG View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Where did the sword get snagged Kezza?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GSPOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 1:28pm
GSPOT View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Looking at and amusing the information on the weight board is correct the back of the Major knolls would be my guess. 

But Kezza may know different / more details

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 1:52pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Big Dog - I may be wrong but I would expect it was caught at the Mayor Knolls as that is where most of the broadies out of Tauranga have been caught in the last couple of years.

If you are looking where to try, have a look on the charts for 500m plus water close to a knoll or go through the Tauranga Sport Fishing Club yearbook for the last two seasons and make a note of which boats have caught most of the broadies (only about 3 or 4 boats) and go for a troll around the Mayor Knolls on a nice calm day during the weekend looking for these boats, as almost certainly they will be chasing broadies and where you find them sitting stationary will be the spot to try (Note they generally do not fish on top of a Knoll, they are off to the side, so if they are on a knoll they are more than likely chasing bluenose).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote six guns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 4:43pm
six guns View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Or you could stop trying to stalk us come down the club have a beer or three get to know the people and come fishing with us no weirdos just keen as fisher man
skull draging and taging
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bluewater5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 5:19pm
Bluewater5 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by six guns six guns wrote:

Or you could stop trying to stalk us come down the club have a beer or three get to know the people and come fishing with us no weirdos just keen as fisher man

Brilliant, that would be the easy way of doing it!!!
I own 501 lures, but i can only run 5 at a time. What to do??? Man I have some sleepless nights!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote six guns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 8:32pm
six guns View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

It's like saying I like a hot girl I might just watch her from the bushes to see what she does
skull draging and taging
Page  <1 1213141516 20>