How to fix a reel?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote A LOAF OF BREAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to fix a reel?
    Posted: 18 Sep 2014 at 1:23pm
A LOAF OF BREAD View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

So yea, i thought i would have learnt my lesson from the 1st, 2nd and 3rd time,  but i just so happened to take another reel apart because the drag clip was seized and it was hard to wind, wyned?, wind? Confused

Anyhow, just wondering if its easy to get hold of manuels or some sort of guide so i can try put it back together because its in many pieces. 

Cheers.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote fishz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2014 at 1:26pm
fishz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

http://alantani.com/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2014 at 2:04pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What brand and model is the reel?

And what is wrong its hard to wind or drag seized a bit?
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2014 at 3:24pm
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by A LOAF OF BREAD A LOAF OF BREAD wrote:

So yea, i thought i would have learnt my lesson from the 1st, 2nd and 3rd time,  but i just so happened to take another reel apart because the drag clip was seized and it was hard to wind, wyned?, wind? Confused

Anyhow, just wondering if its easy to get hold of manuels or some sort of guide so i can try put it back together because its in many pieces.

Swordfish Steve probably one of the better manuals - LOL
"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2014 at 4:08pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yep, fastest fix with no spare washers, if your reel is 'fawlty' then don't be a Manuel, send it to Swordfish Steve.
Most reel manuals are little more than schematics.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2014 at 5:15pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What is your reel brand and type? My Shimano TLD 25s in 10 years had 1 issue with drag slipping and another TLD 25 I found submerged on a beach that would not wind (tight) - in both cases one of the small bearings had gone - does not need much play or binding to give you grief.
I use Jeff Murray who is the shimano warranty agent (and does other reels incl Penn) in Greenbay Auckland - email [email protected] - he may be able to help you with spares or you could send to him he is a whizz. Is cheaper than a new reel. Cheers.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sappercatcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2014 at 6:06pm
sappercatcha View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

easy send it away to get serviced will cost $30-$50 plus parts... depending on were you go
will come back good as new unless is a cheep POS then its probably not worth fixing bin it
and buy a new one

I have attempted to fix a few of my reels and failed so I just pay someone and get the job done right I send my reels away every year ( for my everyday reels) and 2 years (for my reels I use less)

30 bucks per year (f you look after your gear you wont need new parts all the time) isn't much to pay to keep your investment going good I still use my dads reel sometimes that thing must be 20 years old and still works like new
keep up the good work boys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote A LOAF OF BREAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2014 at 9:26pm
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

What brand and model is the reel? 

Penn 320GT2

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2014 at 9:43pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Take all the bits to Al. He loves a challenge. LOL 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2014 at 9:44pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

They are a very simple reel and if you screw it up not too expensive to replace. take some nice close up pics as you take it apart and make a note of where everything goes and which way up the parts are. It will probably take a few hours to do the first time but if you are patient it isn't too hard.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote onthefly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2014 at 10:01pm
onthefly View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

V' sensible suggestion smudge
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2014 at 11:56pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

now that you have told us which reel you have in bits i am guessing you have undone the center screws to pull it apart,
would that be correct A LOAF OF BREAD?

i so even an engineer could have a problem putting it back together,

but if not and you just unscrewed the outside ones only, then this may help...

just remember i made this video 14 odd years ago so take no notice of the prices i quote.

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote A LOAF OF BREAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 4:23pm
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Lethal Lethal wrote:

now that you have told us which reel you have in bits i am guessing you have undone the center screws to pull it apart,
would that be correct A LOAF OF BREAD?

i so even an engineer could have a problem putting it back together,

but if not and you just unscrewed the outside ones only, then this may help...

It was already in 19 pieces before you posted. LOL

I might just have to try save up and buy a new one. Anyone need any spare parts? LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 4:33pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I will guess if it is really stiff to wind irrespective of drag then the main right hand bearing is probably stuffed, easy reels to fix bro...listen to Lethal

And if you lose bits and pieces take it to Dierdre - Krow he can fix anything with his 16lb mallet and blacksmith welding pliersLOL
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 6:13pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

agree with Al, take the reel into a Reel service person with as many parts as you can,

i used to do them, and ive seen what you have 100s of times,
its normal to try and fix your own reel, you know good old Kiwi ingenuity cost cutting all of that...

the reels are still being made so no problem for parts and certainly wont cost the price of a new reel...

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote swordfishsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 6:45pm
swordfishsteve View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

A Loaf Of Bread
Here is the Reel schematic you require:
http://www.scottsbt.com/catalog/store/images/pennparts/schematics/320gt2.pdf
If you are not confident in your repair skills then please do not dick around with anything and send me or Jeff Murray your reel in bits so we can do this repair professionally, cheers swordfishsteveSmile
REEL REPAIR GUY - Swordfishsteve, That Is Who I Am and That is What I Do : See More At :www.reelrepairguy.co.nz