Cost of service 60hp 4 stroke

Page  123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CBF-Whk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cost of service 60hp 4 stroke
    Posted: 12 Sep 2014 at 4:19pm
CBF-Whk View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi all

Has anyone else noticed the price of your service going through the roof?

For a 100 hr service

5/2013-$332.05

1/2014-$410.04

9/2014-$595.50

The above are for 100hr services no extras, does anyone out their have some comparison costs ???

Thanks
CBF
Whk
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2014 at 5:08pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Need to see which services contain what work. For example I would assume that the $595 service includes an impeller change, whilst the $332 might not. A 100hr service is not the same everytime you go to the shop unless the shop is defaulting to changing everything every time to bump up their profits. At a guess, the $332 is a service/check with only a fuel filter change, the $438 includes plugs, and the $595 includes the impeller. As a guide I would want the $300 - $350 level to include the filter and plugs if required. For the impeller add another hour of labour and $30 - $40 for the parts, so yep you are in the high $400's every 2nd or 3rd service. $595 would have me asking for a 'please explain' in writing. That is over the top if there is nothing other than a standard service involved.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Time_Bandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2014 at 5:38pm
Time_Bandit View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I always ask for a quote but its round the $400 mark
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 3rnzir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2014 at 5:39pm
3rnzir View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

What brand of OB is this?
Peace.Via superior firepower..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote daveo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2014 at 6:14pm
daveo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I was paying around 240 for a service localy for my 60hp yamaha 4 stroke
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2014 at 7:01pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

$240 is very good if that includes the filters, oil etc. I work on the basis that a proper service (without impeller, but with compression check etc) will take around 2 hours. Add another hour for testing batteries, checking cables, test running the engine and moving the boat around etc, so 3 hours work. 3 hours at $80 = $240. Add in filters, oil and consumables etc you get between $300 & $350 as a fair price  with $350 slightly high and anything sub $300 very good.
It may be that a mechanic can cut the service out in less than 2 hours, but I would be wondering whether the full service had been completed including all the checks that should be done on top of just the oil and filter change. If I couldn't do my own servicing I would rather pay the extra $50 and have someone knowledgeable checking everything than risk having problems at sea.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CBF-Whk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2014 at 11:48am
CBF-Whk View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi all

My motor is a merc Bigfoot

The above prices are for the 200-300 and 400 hour services and according to the service book these services are now all the same.

I changed service provider between 200-300 as the merc franchise changed hands in town.

I have been in and queried why a near $200 dollar jump in price in under a year. Their reply is the $600 dollar service is the proper cost and my last bill was wrong but for good customer relations will knock $100 off the bill but future services will be $600.

Parts are covered in the service pack, oil and consumables are about the same the big jump is in it now takes 4 hours to do the service where in previous times it took 2 hours.

Go figure

CBF
Whk
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2014 at 12:19pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

$600 is too high for that engine and there should be a significant difference in at least every other service as the plugs and impeller are most likely on a 200hr service if you check the Merc recommendations (I haven't checked them so you should google them up in the Owners Manual for your model).
Your new dealer sounds possibly a little suspicious, so I would get a marker and mark my plugs, filters,  and lower unit bolts (discretely) before the next service to see if they actually get checked or replaced. It is an unfortunate truth that some marine service businesses will take advantage of people's lack of marine engine knowledge to inflate their profits. I would also make sure that they are told to call before doing anything outside the standard service and these types of businesses are also the ones that might find themselves 'extra' work to do and just present you with an inflated bill at the end. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2014 at 2:37pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My Merc 50HP 2006 2 stroke service is 300-500 dollars varies from year to year - fuel pump diaphragm gearbox oil, spark plugs (3 cyl) yearly - impellar is good for 3 yrs or so inspected at each service, every 2 years or so fuel filter, sacrificial anode replaced every few years - last service (owned 8 years now done 300 hrs in that time) some water in fuel pump so carbs removed and cleaned. Also includes battery checked and terminals cleaned and coated with sealant, grease on moving parts on trailer/steering etc.
$600 a pop every year - bull****. Cheers
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CBF-Whk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2014 at 2:41pm
CBF-Whk View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi all
I agree it is too much well.

Have just checked the invoice from the past bills and are yet to be charged for new spark plugs after 400 hours???. Have been charged for the removal and inspection but not for new. Have been charged for a new impeller in all the services.

I agree and have been caught in the past with getting repairs and services done together and will always keep them separate.

Thing I have learned again ALWAYS ASK FOR A QUOTE an expectation the same job will cost the same is not enough.

CBF
Whk
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2014 at 2:57pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Download the owners manual and then ask your service guy why they are changing the impeller (or whatever) more often than required. There is a chance that it hasn't even been changed in some services and just added to the bill. Unfortunately you can't assume that any shop is straight until you get some experience with them to prove it. Impeller at every 100hr service is rubbish unless there is a very good explanation, and unless those hours were done over a lot of years there isn't likley to be one.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lemmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2014 at 6:36pm
lemmy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

The last service I had done on my 60hp merc bigfoot at 55 hours was $780.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Scuba Skip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2014 at 9:41pm
Scuba Skip View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I do my own servicing and replace impeller every year regardless of how many hrs its done. Cheap insurance if you ask me....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2014 at 10:03pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Lemmy - that sounds like straight out theft unless there were issues outside the norm.

Scuba SKip - Your impeller is almost certainly easily good for 200 hours or 2 to 3 years unless you run through sand or run it dry. You are more likely to cause a problem with installation errors than suffer from a failed impeller if you are doing it every few hours. I have run a couple of impellers now for ~400 hours (on large and small outboards) and only changed them even then because I got too nervous to see how long they would really last. The 200 hour service interval in most owners manuals is easily conservative enough in my mind.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2014 at 10:07pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Way to expensive,4 hours labour is taking the piss,my most expensive service has been under $500, thats with a few things I wanted done and an impellor change.
Go see Brad at Kope auto world CF BOP,I'm shure hell do it

2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2014 at 10:10pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Impellor is at 100 hours for merc fourstrokes under warranty Tagit,agree they will last a lot longer especially if your not beach launching
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2014 at 10:11pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by lemmy lemmy wrote:

The last service I had done on my 60hp merc bigfoot at 55 hours was $780.

That service at those hours should of been oil filter and general check only,mine was $295
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Scuba Skip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 9:32am
Scuba Skip View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Installation errors? pretty simple job! I would agree that an impeller will last longer than a season but why would you take the risk for the matter of a maybe $40 part? the peace of mind knowing that things like this are done regularly when your on the mayor knolls or similar is worth it imo. My mech who is a good mate (which I get parts for at his price) totally agrees.
ELITE PAINTWORKS LTD. TE AROHA
CARS - TRUCKS - ALLOY/GLASS BOATS - INSURANCE JOBS - RESTORATIONS.
PH ANDREW ON 021 111 5383 OR 07 884 4331
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 9:47am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

On the subject of impellers I was talking to my Mercury mechanic the other day about this - he checks every year but changes on my Merc 50hp 2 stroke every 3 years or so - they last according to him as a big impeller - however my Merc/Tohatsu 30hp he changed impeller at 1 year 30hrs - I asked why? he said quite small on 30 and a bit of wear reduces pumping - so it seems to me depends on design/hours etc - certainly should be checked yearly in case of damage. Seems reasonable to me that those who service the motors know from what they have seen - that is what I am paying for at the end of the day. Cheers
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CBF-Whk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 1:10pm
CBF-Whk View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi all

What I am getting from this is we paid less for our motors in the first instance but we are paying more in the following costs.

Don't get me wrong my motor has been outstanding for 400 plus hours and the fuel economy is legendary but it seems the after sales backup may be more expensive and if I had known this at my purchase time I may have gone with another motor??? That is what makes these forums so good for us.

In my last couple of services I have been charged for a "quicksilver service pack" which contains all the washers ,impellers etc needed for a 100 hour service. So needed or not I have purchased an impeller.

As to doing a self service the leg and water pump stuff is easy enough. It is the fuel filter on the high pressure side is beyond me. Also is there not a need for a fault log download?

Lemmy there had to have been a problem??

CBF
Whk
Page  123>